Volkszone Forum banner
581 - 591 of 591 Posts

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Looking well dude! You sort it's transportation yet?

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #582 ·
Looking well dude! You sort it's transportation yet?
Yep. Managed to find someone to take it on the 21st. Same day as the removers come too so its gonna be a busy day. Especially as we'll have a 7 ish hour drive afterwards.

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #583 ·
Just had a go at removing the centres from two curbed 4.5" steel wheels.
Ground through the 4 beads of weld that hold the two parts together and gave them a whack with a block of wood and a huge sledge hammer and it didn't move a mm. :rolleyes:
Beat on them with the sledge for a few minutes and nowt, so they're going in the tip.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Guy I know over here did it and put the centres into a vectra rim, you want me to ask him how he did it before you bin them?

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #585 ·
Guy I know over here did it and put the centres into a vectra rim, you want me to ask him how he did it before you bin them?
Someone on facebook said if the rim isn't needed then slice it to relieve the stress and the centre will pop out with a tap of a hammer as they're pressed in at the factory.
I'll give that a go this afternoon and see if it works.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
I dropped him a pm just incase, do no harm get an extra tip or two (y)

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
I cut the faces out of a few GT steels. None of them came out by simply cutting the welds or even slicing through the rim, as the weld is so deep the metal is fused a good few mm down into the seam. If I recall correctly I think each wheel used a whole cutting disc. :oops:

·
Registered
12,236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #588 ·
I cut just below the welds (a mm or so into the wheel centre) and then sliced across the rim and it released a serious amount of tension (it sprung apart with a bang) and the centre then just tapped out. This 5mm gap was after one pass with a 1mm cutting disc.
I did 2 but just photo'd the first.

Outer hoop for scrap. There were actually some holes through the steel. :oops:

Centre to be sandblasted and welded into a wider (possibly mercedes vito) hoop.

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
Centre to be sandblasted and welded into a wider (possibly mercedes vito) hoop.

This is a GT centre in a 16" mercedes (I think) rim. I got as far as bashing it in to see what it looked like, but I abandoned it at that point because it would have ended up with a huge offset. I'd definitely be interested if there is a rim that can be used that can fix that.

581 - 591 of 591 Posts