Volkszone Forum banner
581 - 600 of 725 Posts

·
Registered
12,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #582 ·
Looking well dude! You sort it's transportation yet?
Yep. Managed to find someone to take it on the 21st. Same day as the removers come too so its gonna be a busy day. Especially as we'll have a 7 ish hour drive afterwards.

·
Registered
12,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #583 ·
Just had a go at removing the centres from two curbed 4.5" steel wheels.
Ground through the 4 beads of weld that hold the two parts together and gave them a whack with a block of wood and a huge sledge hammer and it didn't move a mm. :rolleyes:
Beat on them with the sledge for a few minutes and nowt, so they're going in the tip.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Guy I know over here did it and put the centres into a vectra rim, you want me to ask him how he did it before you bin them?

·
Registered
12,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #585 ·
Guy I know over here did it and put the centres into a vectra rim, you want me to ask him how he did it before you bin them?
Someone on facebook said if the rim isn't needed then slice it to relieve the stress and the centre will pop out with a tap of a hammer as they're pressed in at the factory.
I'll give that a go this afternoon and see if it works.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
I cut the faces out of a few GT steels. None of them came out by simply cutting the welds or even slicing through the rim, as the weld is so deep the metal is fused a good few mm down into the seam. If I recall correctly I think each wheel used a whole cutting disc. :oops:

·
Registered
12,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #588 ·
I cut just below the welds (a mm or so into the wheel centre) and then sliced across the rim and it released a serious amount of tension (it sprung apart with a bang) and the centre then just tapped out. This 5mm gap was after one pass with a 1mm cutting disc.
I did 2 but just photo'd the first.

Outer hoop for scrap. There were actually some holes through the steel. :oops:

Centre to be sandblasted and welded into a wider (possibly mercedes vito) hoop.

·
Registered
4,721 Posts
Centre to be sandblasted and welded into a wider (possibly mercedes vito) hoop.

This is a GT centre in a 16" mercedes (I think) rim. I got as far as bashing it in to see what it looked like, but I abandoned it at that point because it would have ended up with a huge offset. I'd definitely be interested if there is a rim that can be used that can fix that.

·
Registered
12,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #593 ·
The bloody horn has decided its going to start blowing when the steering wheel is turned again. I assume the wire at the steering box coupler is touching the bottom of the tank or something but i've not had the time to look yet.

·
Registered
12,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #594 ·
Raised the front end, put it on axle stands and checked the horn's earth connection at the steering coupling. Yep, still attached and doesn't have any bare metal showing from it wearing on something. Column clears fuel tank and inner column clears outer column too.
Turned on the ignition and swung the wheels from lock to lock and no beeping of the horn.
Lowered it back down and tried again and still nothing. :unsure:
I can't remember if it only did it while i was reversing so will take it for a run out tomorrow and see. I need to fill her with fuel anyway for the run up to Tatton on saturday afternoon anyway.

·
Registered
12,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #596 ·
Well i took it for a run around the area and to fill with petrol and the horn didn't go off once.
The turning circle is pretty dire which makes it fun on these narrow roads. Some of the junctions are 120 degree turns and require swinging right to turn left just so you don't end up in the hedge. No idea how anyone drives a car with 4" or narrower beams fitted. :oops:

Gave the old girl and wash before Tatton on Sunday.

·
Registered
12,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #599 ·
373 miles in total. 34mpg average. Not too bad for her first long journeys. Only problem was a broken speedo cable 90 miles from home.
She's great fun throwing around the roads in Wales. No matter what speed i entered a corner she just stuck. I sat on the tail of an mx5 for a while pestering him. True he couldn't drive for shit but it was fun all the same. 😁
Not as well suited to motorway use though as 40bhp just isn't enough and she's outpaced by trucks. I might look into some twin carbs but she'll stay 1300 single port.

I'm still waiting for my phone to upload to Dropbox as our wifi is stone age slow, but heres one with it parked on the Late Bay forums stand.

Theres a few little niggles to sort out. One front wheel threw a tyre weight off (it looks like it was stuck onto a greasy wheel :rolleyes:), the steering wheel is not quite centralised, its only maybe a splines or two off and the C pillar channels that are usually filled with foam at the factory need something better putting back in as the horsehair bags i used like pre 67 bugs use don't stop the smell of the engine getting into the interior. I think theres possible an air leak somewhere in the exhaust as she pops going down hill (or when you quickly shut the throttle). Might just be the carb needs adjusting though. :unsure:
Not a lot really as i knew a proper shakedown would show up something.

I had a bird strike heading up to Tatton that snapped the aerial off but a £5 stainless one i bought will fix that.

The horn only beeped twice. Once while exiting the petrol station when i was yanking on the wheel at slow speed to get out of the parking space and the other time at equally low speed in a crowded villiage doing the same.

581 - 600 of 725 Posts