Volkszone Forum banner
601 - 620 of 620 Posts

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Wee car is looking well dude :cool: always cool to see a pic of your car in motion.......something you rarely see yourself

·
Registered
12,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #602 ·
Yep, its the first time i've seen a piccy of it in motion.

I fitted the new aerial i got at Tatton. Its so tall it'll need lowering a bit to clear the lock bars on the back of garage door.

·
Registered
12,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #603 ·
Managed to get the speedo cable replaced yesterday. It had snapped just inside the spindle right where the cable meets the end that goes through the dust cap. :rolleyes:

Also got the steering wheel straight (i hope) as it was annoying being a few degrees off horizontal.

I think over winter i'm going to raise the rear end up a spline as theres 4 degrees negative at the rear and its low enough to drag the towbar along the raised middle of some the local roads round here.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Is that a solid aerial (ie doesn't go up and down)?

·
Registered
12,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #606 ·
Took her for a run out today and the speedo screamed its head off. Stopped and disconnected the cable from the back of the speedo and all was quiet again pointing to the speedo head seizing up. :rolleyes:
:rolleyes:

Squirted some vaseline thinned with a few drops of oil into the connection where the cable goes using a small syringe and a few drops down the cable and all is quiet again.
:)

Will have to see how long that lasts. I don't really want to have to remove the speedo due to all the wiring behind it but if thats the only way to get some lubricant to the gears inside then i'll have to bite the bullet and do it.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Its a stainless telescopic one.
Was just asking as Polo's aerial is bust and looking into a simple alternative lol Might try and cut an old telescopic one and wedge it in.

·
Registered
12,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #608 ·
Does it mount through the top of the front wing? After the one on mine was snapped for the 2nd or 3rd time i looked round the scrappies and picked an electric one off the rear wing of an Audi 80 or something. Switch off the radio and it dissapears and no more getting snapped by the local scumbags.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Yeah it's through the wing and awkward to get at the base, it got snapped in a carwash in 1998. Have an old repair in since then lol
I've gotten really lazy and don't have much spare time to be working at it so looking something easy.

·
Registered
12,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #612 ·
Only a few days left until this local show. Only 20 minutes from me which makes a change from the 5 hours it took to get to Tatton a few weeks back.

Still need to adjust the rear brakes and possibly bleed them, and give th engine a quick service and tune up. Its dripping a bit of oil which i think is the pushrod tubes seals. The sump is dry and so are the rocker cover gaskets.

·
Registered
12,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #613 ·
Rear brakes adjusted, exhaust and inlet mounting bolts nipped up, plugs and points checked and gapped and engine given a quick clean up.
Still haven't worked out why its popping going downhill on a closed throttle. Nothing was loose and the timing is correct. All i can think its its running a little lean(?) though the plug colour was OK.:unsure:

This is about the ride height i want (just lowered off the jack so not settled yet) but thats a job for later on.

·
Registered
12,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #614 ·
Just been to a local car show in the bug. I'm still getting a little popping going downhill on a closed throttle. I richened it up a little (1/4 turn) and it reduced it a little but its still there. :rolleyes:
Its also blowing a little oil out the road draft tube next to the oil filler cap so i'm wondering if i accidentally fitted the louvered plate under the generator stand the wrong way round.

·
Registered
12,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #615 ·
Had a run up to Cardigan this morning to a Cars and Coffee event at Poppit Sands.
Filled the tank with some 95 E5 unleaded before they change to the E10 next week. None of the local petrol stations actually stock super unleaded so it'd be a drive to Tesco in Haverfordwest if i wanted any. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
My go to station here already changed a couple of weeks ago!
Anything nice at the cars and coffee?

·
Registered
12,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #617 ·
I forgot to take any piccies.:rolleyes:
There weren't as many cars as i was expecting but still a few nice motors.
Gold coloured Mk2 (i think) Jag and a JDM import mini automatic. A few supras, a red corvette and a Suzuki Ignis done as a rally car.

Nice morning out in the sun anyway.

601 - 620 of 620 Posts