Volkszone Forum banner
741 - 754 of 754 Posts

· Registered
2,687 Posts
Had heard wasn’t good in classics I’d parked up or that it could affect fuel lines and carbs 🤷🏻‍♂️

· Registered
11,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #742 ·
The internet says it gives about 20% less MPG and the ethenol apparently eats brass, copper, aluminium, rubber and other stuff and depending on what you believe it also sucks your life force too.
Its been run in the US and europe for years without many problems though.

· Registered
11,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #743 ·
Got the bugs MOT booked for 10am on Saturday.
Its only done about 350 miles since the last one. Would have been another 370 miles if i'd made it to Tatton but my dad died a few days before so that put a stop to that.

I think i just really need to give the rear brakes a quick check to make sure the handbrake pulls up both at the same time.

· Registered
1974 1200
69 Posts
Got the bugs MOT booked for 10am on Saturday.
Its only done about 350 miles since the last one. Would have been another 370 miles if i'd made it to Tatton but my dad died a few days before so that put a stop to that.

I think i just really need to give the rear brakes a quick check to make sure the handbrake pulls up both at the same time.
good luck but in theory she should pass ok

· Registered
133 Posts
With my all new rear brakes I could not get an even handbrake response.
It was way off.

The only thing I have not bought new were the cross bar pushing the brake shoes apart.
Bought two new ones, fitted them and the problem were solved.
The old ones had not evenly wear and that little difference made a huge difference on the handbrake.

Old bars....
Wood Natural material Gas Metal Hardwood

· Registered
11,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #747 · (Edited)
With my all new rear brakes I could not get an even handbrake response.
It was way off.

The only thing I have not bought new were the cross bar pushing the brake shoes apart.
Bought two new ones, fitted them and the problem were solved.
The old ones had not evenly wear and that little difference made a huge difference on the handbrake.

Old bars....
View attachment 303299
My bay was the same. I couldn't find replacements at the time to filled them with weld and recut with a grinder. Allowed me to do handbrake turns afterwards. :ROFLMAO:

· Registered
11,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #749 ·
Beetle was in for its MOT at 10am this morning. Passed, though a front caliper is dragging a tiny bit.
Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Hood Motor vehicle

These 2 are still sitting across the road, though the Renault Alpine has now gone.
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Car Vehicle

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

· Registered
2,687 Posts
Aren’t scimitar s fibreglass? Assume that’s rust paint? Too good to be lying like that! New bugs aren’t worth very much and sills like to rot but that still looks too good to be lying there

· Registered
11,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #752 ·
Aren’t scimitar s fibreglass? Assume that’s rust paint? Too good to be lying like that! New bugs aren’t worth very much and sills like to rot but that still looks too good to be lying there
Its just green slime. Leave anything outside here for more than a few days and it takes on a green tint. The fibreglass is pretty crumbly on the bonnet and nose like its delaminating.
The bug has been sat with the window open a couple of inches all year and the interior looks like its covered in moss.

Congo’s the mot pass
Cheers. Only 325 miles done since last one.

741 - 754 of 754 Posts