Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PART 1........

Bought a Bug off of this forum about a year ago now, at the time not really knowing what I should be looking for, how much I should be paying and what was lying in wait for me..... Over the last 11 or so months I have made sufficient progress that I thought it might now be of interest to you fine folks.......
Any how, this is how the beetle looked when I got it; lowered beam, slopies, roof rack etc...... I guess you could call it a 'rat look' bug:





The car came with a 1641 lump that was looking a little tired. The tinware was shot, the heads were fubar and it had been painted red......





When I began to strip the car down, first impressions were encouraging, front clip in good nick, wings in good nick, new rear valance and bumper mounts etc:







When I got to the inside of the car, things started to take a turn for the worse...... Channels were shot, floor pans, A pillars, bulkhead...... You get the picture.......





I'll upload PART 2 later......;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17,965 Posts
looking forward to this thread,good luck fella and keep with it..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
PART 2........

I spent some time amassing so repair panels for the bug with the view of doing the cutting and welding myself. The more that I read about replacing heater channels, the more convinced I became that I should get the job done properly (I.E. by somebody else......;) )
A call was made to Matt of Auto Impressions (who I came across on this great website) and the work commenced:













With the fresh metal grafted into the car I was able to give everything a good coating of red oxide and bolted in the first bit of bling!!







Things were staring to look up !! PART 3 soon.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PART 3...........

With the car back on the drive and now starting to look solid, I set about the rest of the bodywork...... I was puzzled as to why somebody had filled the gutters with bloody isopon. Dremmel, heatgun and scraper were liberated from the garage and I started to dig.....





The main roof section of gutter looked in good nick:



I wasn't as lucky when I carried on down towards the windscreen and front wing:



I found a hole and a crack where the wing meets the A pillar. This was the reason I couldn't get the drivers door to shut properly....



Of course the passenger side wasn't any better:



Oh crap! I thought....... I'd better get on the blower to Matt and see if he fancies doing some more welding for me......

That'll be PART 4 then.......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
PART 4.....

Well, a deal was struck with Matt and the bug went off for more welding and prepping and painting..... I thought in for a penny, in for a pound.....
The repair to the A pillar was done....



The bonnet was found to be past the point of sensible repair so a replacement was sourced (via VZi of course...) and a VW Heritage passenger door purchased as the one on the car was more filler than metal......



The car had started to develop a more character but the donor wings proved a headache for Matt, it took a day to get the fronts to fit properly....



The rear nearside of the car had a sizeable dent in it (where the rear wing meets the running board) which had been filled with about 2kg of filler. rather than boidge it, Matt cut out the bent metal and grafted in a repair panel. Before:



After:



Before long, the car was ready for paint....



The colour that I had chosen (if you are interested) was Vauxhall (!) china blue. It's not as bad as you think.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.







Should get the car back next week so I can start bolting it back together.... Got these to go on it.......



PART 5 next weekend.........
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Cheers Pal,
Do you have any more photos of the finished paintwork?
Went down to the bodyshop on Saturday to take Matt a new door for the Bug. While I was there I took another couple of pictures on a better camera...... The car is covered in dust and the paint needs flatting back a little but it looks gooood......





Should have him back on Wednesday.....:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Window rubbers...... what a pain....

Been on hols' with the kids for the last week so have done bugger all on the Bug.... I've had a set of 'Cal look' rubbers sat around that I bought from GSF a while back. As usual, this job took longer than I expected. I thought that it would take me about 30 minutes to fit the rubbers to the four windows. I wish...... took me the best part of three hours...... Get one side done, start the next side of the window and the rubber falls off meaning I have to start all over again..... Got my technique sorted eventually though....;) If the weather stays reasonable I'll try and get them in the car tomorrow :D A few piccies.....





 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
More progress.....

As the weather was good this weekend I thought I'd try and get some of the glass for the Biug out of my living room and into the Bug. Had the better half to give me hand but started by PVA-ing the roof lining back into the window apertures. Used plenty of pegs.....









Started on the other side....



Left this little lot to dry off for a good hour or so before I removed the pegs. During this time the better half and I popped the windscreen in.....



Then the pegs came out and the sides went in....





I'd collected a 'couple' of decals so had the kids pop those on....



 
1 - 20 of 110 Posts
Top