Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right...here goes, i've been wanting to do this for ages, but never actually got round to it.

I've had my 1968 beetle now since Feb 2007, drove it every day for 2 years to work (60 mile round trip) and it's been a dream. Dropped a valve once, with no damage. That's the only breakdown i've had!

The gearbox had given me a bit of trouble simply because it kept eating clutch release bearings. Tried changing everything else, and in the end a new gearbox with the new style fork etc - has solved the problem.

This is it just a week or so ago, still running...although i knew what was inevitable...

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
This summer, the brake pedal began to shift forward towards me, and ended up at a right angle to my foot. Having a look, i noticed the pan was rotting away behind the pedals and the stop plate for the brake and clutch pedal was gone...

Great! Well, new panels i thought...so, i began to learn to weld:

I was getting the hang of it, and then we decided to move... So i tentatively drove the beetle in convoy the 40 or so miles to our new house, with garage of course! This time the garage opens into the hallway, so i can steal a bit of heat...

Now, at this point - my photos folder fills up with pictures of a new pet rabbit we acquired, then christmas and the PS3 it brought, along with a mountain of games...then the boiler getting fixed...then i decided to strip down my old 1300 engine...then i've got drifting in snow and snowmen and cooking and sledging...and as you can see, i was putting it off!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cheers vwwinston!

I started yesterday. Really, i wanted to take the body off to do it properly, i'm a person that does a little at a time, slow progress, but i do it as well as i can.

So, the front end all came apart fine. I'd replaced the beam (adjustable, not rotten and discs) a few months ago, so the bolts were fairly easy to loosen.

The four bolts under the rear seat were no problem. I've taken off the rear wings now. On one side there is no bumper mount?? No wonder it was wrecking the metal and rubber grommet where the bracket came through the wing. Most of the wing bolts came off fine, one or or two pulled out the housed retainer nuts, but no big problem.

There are plenty of patches, i should be able to clean these up and get some brackets...maybe. I'm really new to this you see, so i'll be learning as i go.

I know my channels are shot, and this shows at the closing panel...

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Next, i moved to my rear valance. Since i bought the car the paint was bubbling, and i knew the exhaust lips in the valance had been filled. I went about seeing just how much filler there was...

Quite a bit!

As you can see, i'm basically going round the car slowly - with an aim to take the body of the chassis, but checking out the work i'll need to do as i go...

The rear left wing wasn't so bad, no pulled retainer nuts. The bumper mount was there, original paint underneath. A few little bits of rust, but the mount looks solid enough.

Now i was happy with that! I went round to the rear right again and set about undoing the body to chassis bolt, 17mm infront of the suspension. I used plenty of penetrating oil, left it for hours, used more - then heated it etc. Unfortunately the bolt head snapped off :( Thankfully the body is now loose from the chassis at this point though. Will i be able to drill through this cleanly enough and get the remainder of the bolt out?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What i havn't mentioned before is this...when i knew i was going to have to replaced the channels, i went out searching. Bluestealth of here set me up with some channels cut from californian cars, which included a hell of a lot of the surrounding metal...front quarters, rear quarters, all posts etc...

I felt a very lucky boy! If you can't get NOS genuine channels, what's the next best thing! Thankfully, i may not need to buy a lot of the replacement panels. The question will just be, how far back do i cut!!

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
What i havn't mentioned before is this...when i knew i was going to have to replaced the channels, i went out searching. Bluestealth of here set me up with some channels cut from californian cars, which included a hell of a lot of the surrounding metal...front quarters, rear quarters, all posts etc...

I felt a very lucky boy! If you can't get NOS genuine channels, what's the next best thing! Thankfully, i may not need to buy a lot of the replacement panels. The question will just be, how far back do i cut!!
Looks like the whole Californian car might have been a better option! :D

You don't get much cleaner than that!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lol. I'm half tempted to cut precisely the entire bottom couple of inches of my car, and superglue the entire replacement section on :)

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Great find on the channels and bits. :D It also means that you don't have to worry about that sheared bolt. :D
That'd be nice! Unfortunately the shaft of the bolt is stuck in the chassis/suspension!

·
Registered
4,690 Posts

hey dude!!! that looks very familiar!!!;) i also bought a set off blue stealth and by fuck do they make a difference! i have been fitting my first one for a couple of weeks now!! i spent a lot of time drilling out spot welds etc trying to do it that way but after a lot of thinking i just found some areas that were common to both the old channel and the replacement and cut it there!!

the only area that is a problem whilst the body is on the pan is the rear body mounts! they are very awkward to cut so i cut the approx the same and ill use a new body mount panel to solve that once the body is off!! (i am doing the 2nd channel with the body off as it makes it easier to access all areas!!)
good luck!

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey vdubberdan. I remember talking to you about the panels! They were certainly a good buy weren't they? Be interested in seeing photos of your work - hoping it's better than mine. Quite relieved about a few things, namely the back end of my right heater channel. It's clearly been rusting for quite some time, and has taken out a bit of the quarter, and surrounding panels. All of this metal, i already have - attached to some sound channels!

I'm wondering if i can indeed leave the panels attached to the channels, and weld in place like that?

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
i chopped off a fair bit off my channels but used less than would be used if i replaced say the a piller with a hookies panel or the rear quarter with the common repair panel ill do some pics tommorrow once i have finished it off as i have to sort a few areas out!! one thing for sure though is its better to replace with original german metal than repro wank!!

·
Registered
9,535 Posts
Hey!
I have the same problem with the snapped bolt in the chassis!
I haven't been able to get at it with the body still attached!
Just try and drill a small pilot hole, to try and retain the original thread!

Who is this Blue Stealth?! I want some :(

·
Registered
4,678 Posts
Jealous of those channels! :(

Nice looking project though! :hangloose

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Said it'd be slow! :D

Right, there has been some progress. Managed to get all the windows out using these guys, and kept all the rubbers in perfect condition! :)

Only a small amount of work required on window corners:

I then managed to strip away all the sealant that was acting as the body-pan seal, which took a fucking age. Then had to battle with all the captive nuts turning on the drivers side, so just gave up there, passenger side looks to have had a new channel at some point and is in much better nick. Still tempted to replace it though.

Then, off came the body...

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The floorpans are entirely shot, both sides. However the nap's hat looks in near-perfect condition. The rear outriggers are good except for the last 3 or 4 inches. I have good ones on my replacement channels though, so they can be replaced/patched.

I'm amazed the pedals hadn't fallen through earlier, the metal just flaked off around the strenthening panel:

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Luckily, having the rear outriggers and part of the front firewall attached (as per factory) to my replacement channels, i can use these to fit my new pans... Just checking, i lined them up to see how it would go:

How does this fit look?

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
And finally, my most expensive purchase...so far...

...ouch!...

I'm really chuffed i went for the HD pans from Heritage, they look really good quality.

One question, the left pan has the captive nut for the pedal stop plate. Do they do RHD versions? What do people do, just drill and fit a captive nut over on the driver's side?

·
Registered
47 Posts
i feel just like you my resto is slow and i find more rust the further i go in very daring you were to build the repair section up good look with it i hope i get finished eventually but problems develop every day for me. :)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts