Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 69' Resto - Operation 'Resto Moneypit'

Hey,

I was so inspired by Optimus Primer's one grand Bay project, and the fact I managed to pick up a complete, driveable 1968, 1300, beetle (just up the road from me, yes a 3-4 min drive away) for £275, delivered!!!!! (I am driving my '73 bug around as my daily car so that I can really tinker with this one :) ), I have decided to begin operation 'resto moneypit' Im hoping I will be lucky and will prolly cheat on the welding bit, A: cause I dont have any welding gear and B: because I dont have any welding gear, but I am determined to strip the interior, sort out the headlining, carpets, seats and engine (oh yeah, the engine) plus other aesthetical bits and bobs myself. I have had a quote so far, to get it through MOT, it should need around £300 - £500 spent, Im hoping for £300 as the drivers side rear quarter floor pan is holy (ahhhh). Daylight can be seen through the passenger footwell heater channel and the pass side front of the sill is non existent... + you can also see into the engine bay over the back seat :eek: anyhoo, I would love to post some pics before and after type thing but wouldnt know how, if any kind soul could let me know how to, Ill add some ASAP as I plan to de-bumper it and stick some stainless steel tail pipes on, also a wing mirror and try some T-cut to bring the exterior back to life (hopefully).... and drill some holes in the spare wheel well as there is 6" of water in the bottom..... no rust tho.... yet. I will also ned to sand all the surface rust and get some rust preventative stoof from somewhere, again, any reccommendations welcomed.... well. Until later, let the resto begin !!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Due to popular request(well, one person, cheers Benjyhas) and after following the very simple guide as to how to post images, here is the project. Not too bad considering the price eigh?

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ok, now, it has been de bumpered, the front left bracket was fixed to a rotten peice of spare wheel well and came loose whilst removing, I was not gonna be able to get the three bolts off with the bracket loose inside the wing and I couldnt pull it out cause it still had a chunk of rotten weel well bolted to the back of it however.... next door neighbour had a grinder he thought didnt work... after inspection, I removed the 3amp fuse :eek: and tried a 5amp, ta-daaa it worked and i cut the frikin bracket in half :incheek: my biggest problem at the mo is removing the tail pipes that are rusted to buggery, i have removed the brackets but the pipes will not budge, I have a bad back at the mo so cant put too much into it but have tapped round with a hammer and kicked them...no avail....any suggestions, mole grips and twist? anyway, the other problem is, the clutch, i hope the cable is just stretched but it shifts fine with engine off but when the engine is running it is almost impossible to get it into gear, any suggestions, just hope its not the gearbox :eek: the bite point is millimeters from flat to floor and there is no resistance when putting my foot on the clutch pedal.... will try to get some piccies of it de bumpered today, was gonna t-cut it to see if the paint comes back sparkly but is a miserable day outside so will have to see. until later peeps :elvis:

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So, I spent the day tinkering and T-cut the whole thing, managed to get some rust sanded down and get some rust preventative primer on one of the wings. I also found a tin of paint in the boot, with a paint code on it !! so I shall be getting some rattle cans made up to touch up some areas then blend with T-cut. I rekon it looks pretty nice, still considering the price! these pics are from about ten minutes ago, I have thrown in the towel for today as it is raining again!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nice ride Ross, think I saw it in a thread recently, you had it restored? Mines a little more, well, shall I say hollow? lol. I would have gotten so much more done today if it hadn't been piddlni' in the midlands!

Im going more custom on this resto, gonna keep the bumpers off and slam it me thinks :D

I have my trusty classic(ish) 73 daily to get me to work every day....

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Restored? Nah, just had some bits done, its never been restored, just had bits done here and there :)

·
Registered
8,539 Posts
Cool, more late bug restos!!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey man,

Until a couple of years ago, I had an actual 67' bug, one off, ran fine until my mum stopped me from driving it :eek: I was at college and she applied the 'mini' rule to it, where as if I had a front end smash, I would have no legs! so it sat in her garage, she actually bought i off me when i was 20ish and it sat and rusted.... She sold it to some guy in linconshire about two years ago cause I couldnt afford the bits to resto a 67' he must have broke it or been very very rich!

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I would have to say (although some are against it..) I would really lie to (eventually) get some pre 67 wings and sloping headlights on my 69 project, | think they look awesome, I'm just waiting to get the welding done with this one then it'll be on the road! soooo excited *droolllglllarrrbrrrr*

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Right,

I have now prepped, primed and sprayed all the surface rust, luckil ythe colour was common and it took th guy 3-4 mins to mix up a rattle can :D only cost £7.50, I mainly sprayed around the wing bottoms, arount the fron lights and around the bumper bracket holes.... looks ok, will leave it to dry till tomorrow and then T-cut it to try to blend it in a bit better :eek: anyway, for anyone who is interested, the pics are here. Oh and the last one, it's just me contemplating the jobe done, I just wanted to be famous!

·
Banned
3,142 Posts
quiksilver1979 said:
I would have to say (although some are against it..) I would really lie to (eventually) get some pre 67 wings and sloping headlights on my 69 project, | think they look awesome, I'm just waiting to get the welding done with this one then it'll be on the road! soooo excited *droolllglllarrrbrrrr*
please don't.
you will ruin it
if you want a pre 67, buy a pre 67, instead of making a decent post 68 a 'wrongun'

·
Registered
8,539 Posts
65_1200 said:
please don't.
you will ruin it
if you want a pre 67, buy a pre 67, instead of making a decent post 68 a 'wrongun'
I'm inclined to agree, although go for it if that's what you realy realy want!! I was all for early pannels, untill I realized they'll never look quite right on my bug.. You'll probably have to change the front / rear valences and bonnets etc if it's to look even half right, not to mention the fuel filler cap etc, and moon vents if they're there... IMO late cars have their own thing going on, so to speak... It's a bit of a diferent look to the early ones, but a damned fine look all the same!

Give it time, I'm eventualy you'll realize how sweet they can look, go check out that late lookers thread:D

All IMO, naturaly.. Chop the roof off and make it a wizard if you want to*... It's your bug!

*Seriously tho, don't wizard it:eek:.. No bug deserves that:D

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
19,338 Posts
With the clutch problem - have you tried starting it in gear? If you do get ready to turn it off pretty quick. Our Bay did that once - with the engine off it would shift fine. Turn it on in neutral and you couldn't get any gears. Turn it on in gear and it wouldn't come out of gear - even with my feet on the clutch and the brakes (and handbrake on) it was going forward and nothing execpt turning the engine off would stop it!

So in the end we put it in 1st, then reverse (switching it off inbetween) and after a couple goes the clutch freed :)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well said guys, I just think slopers would look good with no bumpers, but , on the other hand, it should look ok with the wings its got when I slam it :eek:P. It needs new front and rear valances anyway, lol. Ill decide, its SORN at the mo so got a while to decide.

I washed it today, with a pressure washer .... :eek: it brought the blistered paint off in the areas I hadnt gotten to yet, I would reccommend that over wire brush, 10 times quicker!!!

Thanks for the advice Shamrockez, I have been putting it in gear before starting, even been getting it up my ramps that way but your right, it does travel even with the clutch flat to the floor, the problem for me is that the ignition is worn t' buggery and it is sometimes hard to turn the key to the off position!! lucky the brakes work well..... I tried to get to the wing nut on the clutch arm but was too far up when the bug was on ramps so will have to wait for it to go into the garage for welding and they can adjust it or sort it then. not much more m doing with it till then, don't want to spend money on it yet, until I know its road worthy, Ill just pay for that :eek:D

Anyone got any comments on whether to weld/block the bumper bracket holes, stick grommits i them or leave them open? Im still deciding....

·
Registered
8,539 Posts
I'd probably leave the bumper holes as are, with just grommets in them.. Lets you change your mind and stick bumpers on if you fancy it.. That's what I did anyhows.. Plus I like 'em looking fairly stock:)

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
How it should look.....

This is the cheapo option keeping it the same colour, Ratting, slamming and accessorising!

The expensive idea is to de trim it and go Matt black... the same but with a rack on the deck lid...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts