Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm always browsing these readers rides/resto threads so thought it was about time to start 1 of my own!

i've got a few projects on the go ,but at the moment the most important one is my '71 1200.....important because for the last 8 months my missus has been taking me and picking me up from work everyday, because i refuse to get another car until i get one of my projects finished:D....it's painful, but it's the only way i can get my arse into gear;)

.... so... heres my favourite photo, taken just after i bought her about 3 years ago....

and from the front...

as you can see she's a wrong-un (i.e. the last owner put earlier wings,etc on)....i may change back to later/correct panels, i haven't decided yet....

....went on to add a few bits and pieces, and lower it a bit more ready for my wedding day!

....then in a half-hearted attempt to lose some of the pink bits, in time for last years big bang....i layed a bit of satin black on 1 night(but didn't get as far as doing the doors!!)

.....then the gloucestershire floods hit in july last year:(.... i got hit pretty hard...l had no option but to drive through one in my citroen van (which died instantly,got me very wet, and was to never live again)... and my brother had no option but to drive my bug through one .....it kept going,even though it was up to the windows in water... but it was the start of what i hoped would only be a 'light' resto...

...yeah right.

...so into the workshop she went.

i pulled the tired old 1300 motor out....

stipped it down to the block, added some 1641 barrels/pistons/heads and started building it back up with lots of new goodies.....

bit more.....

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
nice one that engine looks sweet, good luck with the project.

tryin to work out what this is, at first glance i just thought it was the back end of a drag beetle but is it an old fiat or something? is it yours?

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
..... got a set of new empi kadrons on the motor and got it back in the car and up and running......

.....really wanted to get her back on the road at this point but having a little pre-MOT look about i spotted a little bit of rust on the front beam...so took it off for closer inspection...

.....thats the beam fooked then.

....then it started getting worse:(......noticed some nasty rust around the framehead and bulkhead area....as i poked little holes.. they got bigger:D......

i began to realise it was gonna have to be a body-off.
it would probably have been easier to change the whole floorpan, but since everything back from the front bulkhead seems in pretty good shape, i've decided i'm gonna have a go at repairing it.

while waiting for my new framehead and narrowed front beam to arrive i decided to have a go at tidying the inner wings.....

and shock/horror i found....

almost NO RUST!!...bonus!

nowhere near finished work on this side (needs a bit of work here and there) but put some primer on to protect it..

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
nice one that engine looks sweet, good luck with the project.

tryin to work out what this is, at first glance i just thought it was the back end of a drag beetle but is it an old fiat or something? is it yours?

thanks:)..... yep thats one of the other projects (been put on hold for a while:rolleyes:)

fiat 500 on a shortened bug floorpan.... that piccy was taken at Bug Jam 91 i've been told (long before i found it abandoned and rotting in an alleyway!)....it needs LOADS of work doing on it.....one day!.... heres a piccie of it now:(

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
sweet!! are you keeping it as a dragster then?

this is my fiat 600 that i intend to turn into a vw powered race car one day. im ok at restoring but i wouldnt know where to begin on a dragster or anything like that. my mates doing an automotive engineering course at uni so i assume he'll know what to do by the time i get round to working on it :D

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i115/MadBarry_2006/fiat2.jpg

anyway this is your thread

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
....when my new framehead turned up it looked a bit out of square, so i bolted it up to an old beam and took a few measurements....

..:eek:on 1 side....

and on the other side...

thats 10mm out of square....not good for a framehead!...... so i cut it up....:lol:

.... i've started welding it all back together (square!) now but don't have photos, i'll add em later!:)

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sweet!! are you keeping it as a dragster then?

this is my fiat 600 that i intend to turn into a vw powered race car one day. im ok at restoring but i wouldnt know where to begin on a dragster or anything like that. my mates doing an automotive engineering course at uni so i assume he'll know what to do by the time i get round to working on it :D

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i115/MadBarry_2006/fiat2.jpg

anyway this is your thread
that 600 looks cool mate.i love em:cool:...looks in better nick than my 500!

apparantly the 500 was a road car (although its still registered as a fiat 500....not sure how legal that would be since its almost entirely VW:eek:)..... not really sure what to do with it at the moment!....we've got it in the dry and do a bit on it from time to time but it really does need some serious work...underneath all the filler the bottom 8" or so (which had all been fabricated to join with the beetle floorpan) was completely rotten.....we've cut most of it out now but replacing it all is a bit more tricky..... we will get round to it one day tho....we were a bit naughty and took it out for a midnight burn one night and it went like stink:lol:

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
anyway...this is where i'm up to with the bug....bit the bullet and took the body off yesterday....interior out first...

...and into a big pile in the middle of the workshop (another project in the background:D)

then with no fancy body hoists or anything (just my brother lifting and me adding chairs:lol::lol:) we got the body up high enough to drag the pan out....

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
this morning i picked up a set of empi sprintstars (4.5 for the front and 5.5 for the rear) from walsall (thanks Desi Yates...i've always fancied a set).....which i'll be refurbishing....photos later.

....then thisafternoon i got busy with the twistknot wirewheels and started cleaning up the floorpan:)...not a nice job but will be nice when its done!

hopefully this week i'll get round to finishing the cleaning up, welding the little bits that need doing, then i'm gonna build a jig to take some measurements for the new framehead before cutting the old one off and getting the new one on......bit scary, but i reckon/hope i can do it!

:)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Man that looks cool good job you got a new frame head and axle looks like drivin that was borrowed time nice engine setup don't rush it though for big bang unless you take time of work or get Dirty Harry on the case!

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Man that looks cool good job you got a new frame head and axle looks like drivin that was borrowed time nice engine setup don't rush it though for big bang unless you take time of work or get Dirty Harry on the case!
hi jase!....yeah can't believe i never noticed the rotten framehead before...didn't look too bad till i started poking it!......looks like we'll be going to Big Bang in Anis' Metro:eek:.

Dirty Harrys' been cutting the floor out of the fiat this week!

you got them carbs yet mate?

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
well i didn't get half as much done as i wanted to this weekend but made some progress......

.....got all the pedal assembly off and finished cleaning up the rest of the floorpans... they weren't too bad (not as much rust as i was expecting) but its the fiddely bits that take the time..... gonna order some of that POR15 to see what everyones raving at....tho spending nearly 30 quid on 1 litre of paint is a pain that will stay with me forever....it had better be worth it.....

think i'll renew the brake pipes too (since i creased the main one getting it out:rolleyes:)

......did a bit more work on the drivers side front inner wing and front valance too...it'll never be concours but it looks better:)

got to find someone local to sandblast the sprintstars now (they're pretty rusty but hopefully they'll come up nice)..

....gonna have to grow some balls and tackle this framehead swap next week:lol:

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I scrapped my '72 -1200 because of rust in the framehead like that.:( I so wished I'd have sorted it like you have.

Anyway great thread, i'll be following this one.:D
:)thanks mate.

haven't sorted it quite yet! i'm a bit daunted by this framehead swap....i've only ever really done bodywork welding, certainly nothing this structural!.... spose i'll just whack the welder right up and if it all goes tits up, get someone else to do it:lol:

just got to make sure i get it on in exactly the right place...eek.

The plan is to bolt a bare beam back on to the rotten framehead, tack weld 2x 2' lengths of dead straight box section vertically across the tubes on either end of the beam (i.e using the beam as a jig). then take about a million measurements from various places at the back of the pan to the ends of the box section.Cut off the whole rotten lot. Bolt the 'beam jig' onto the new framehead.Get it perfectly aligned with my measurements. Weld it all on.

....in my head it works, in reality i'll probably mess it up.:D

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
right..... i think i underestimated the mahoosiveness of a framehead swap...... i've had a bitch of a day.... 10am till 8.30pm, just to get all the measurements and get the old one off:lol:.....

....so first i got hold of a laser level.... got the pan levelled up perfectly, put an old beam back on and tack welded some carefully measured box section on exactly symetrically to either side.....

....i then took measurements from the top and bottom of these pieces of box section ( and also the front body mounts)to various points at the rear of the floorpan..... i'll be matching these measurements when the new one goes on.

.... then i started cutting:D
.... i left my ear defenders at home so my ears are ringing like mad now::rolleyes:
....got through all of my cutting discs in the first hour and had to move onto grinding discs.....pain in the arse and it took bloody ages.

halfway there...

most of it off....there seemed to be about 5 layers of steel at the join between the floorpan and the framehead bellypan....think it must have been previous repairs on top of repairs.

offered the new one up somewhere close to where it should be and noticed that the 'extra' bit they put on it (which overlaps the old tunnel) also overlaps the holes for the pedal assembly.... so masked off to cut various bits out.....

and then ground these sections away for a better fit....

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
and this is about where i'm up to now.....the framehead offered up and ready to get into its final position tomorrow hopefully:)

....just hope i'm doing it all right!?:D

... the fit of this brazilian framehead is proper shite....its gonna take loads of bashing to get it to sit right on the old tunnel:rolleyes:

...i'm thinking i'll use a mixture of seam welds (all the way around) and a few plug welds for extra strength in places too....just hope my welding is up to it....we'll see.

...also had my POR15, etc delivered this week but don't think i'm gonna be ready for it tommorrow;)

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well had another fairly crap day at it today...never gonna do another bloody framehead:D......lots of slight trimming trying to get the 2 parts to sit together in exactly the right place.

...trying to take lots of measurents from places at one end of the car to the other on your own is pretty tricky....drove me mad:mad:...good job i had some spare clamps!.....

decided to cut the extra 'collar' off the replacement framehead (it was just getting in the way....i couldn't see what was going on underneath) and will be just butting it up...... shouldn't be a problem as i left some of the reinforcing piece/second skin inside the tunnel.

got a couple of tack welds on.....still about 2mm out on 1 side but i'll sort it tommorrow night.

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
update!.....had a good couple of days at it......got the framehead all welded in nice and strong and put the napoleans hat section on....

had some nasty bits where the napoleans hat meets the floorpans.....

....so cut it out and made some repair sections....

....welded and all cleaned up:).........

same on the other side.........

.....all framehead welding complete!!:D

·
Registered
9,535 Posts
Great work!
Just read it!
Looks like you have got more than you bargained for!
Loving the work you did with the framehead, I think I would have got someone else to do it, bearing in mind I cant weld :lol:
Well done :)
Alex

1 - 20 of 59 Posts