Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 223 Posts

·
Registered
10,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Oh dear.

Bought myself a bay project on ebay for just under a grand.

After a 9 hour drive / pickup last night ending after 3 this friday morning.

This is what just under a grand buys you in bay window land these days.

The journey back:

The good:

4" narrowed axle beam with creative adjusters - oh yeah :D - he'll go nice n low on it.

The bad:

·
Registered
10,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Just a bit rusty, but nothing a tickle with a welder can't sort out.

The ugly:

he's been resprayed in the past and had a lot of filler work done which is now looking a bit worse for wear.

Anyway, this thread will chat the progress of my work on it :D

The aim is to get it MOTd by march at the latest so I can complete my bug whilst having something to drive. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
10,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Today Tom (tomarse) (and several others in fact) came round and had a good look at the bay. Apart from destroying most of the front panel which was more heavily fillered than I expected), Tom (with a tiny amount of help from me :lol: lowered the arse end of the bay properly - 2 splines down. Now looks so much better, I'm really chuffed :D

Before:

(the pics from on eBay from whence it came)

After:

I can still get my foot between the ground and the exhaust tailpipes though, so it can still go a bit lower ;)

Those pictures really don't show it very well :( mind you when they were taken we had only done the one side so it is bound to look odd. We did the other side in total darkness.

More to come :hangloose:

Total costs so far:

Van : £940
trailer: £60.50
fuel for towing van: £60 (Bristol to Maidstone and back)

·
Registered
10,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Today, I manouvred the van round into the flat part of my drive, to see how it sits.

Ideally the front will go down a little bit to make it better.
I'm thinking dropped spindles.

This is how i'd love it to be, but unfortunately the front end is jacked up for this pic.

I've also sorted out the handbrake so it works again. One of the wheels (front) is sticking so that needs to be sorted, and one of the back ones is a bit sticky as well.

Forgot to mention is yesterday, but we also sorted out the gear linkage as the front connection had had a wrong size (too small) bolt but in place, which meant it continually was falling apart. Now all the gears seem to work quite well.

·
Registered
3,932 Posts
yay another tofufi resto thread :) . Where are you gonna source your doner sheet steel for this one :incheek:

Seriously looks like a nice project and she's early too - thats the most important thing :hangloose

·
Registered
15,060 Posts
The pics don't do the lowering job justice. We had to deflate and lube up the tyres to get the rear wheels back on! :lol:

·
Registered
10,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Damn right, those balloon tyres need some real persuasion to get them past the arches.

Tom, did ya get my PM on the KDC site?

Crags, i'll be doing the floorpans and heater channels on my bug when this one is done so i'll be on my third resto thread at some point :D

I've still got loads of oven sheet steel, but that's only for non structural parts (and thicker than some dodgy repro panels :crazy: )

·
Registered
179 Posts
Not a bad resto job you dude. We've had our van lowered the same, yeah it's a real bitch getting the back wheels on and off with the stock tyres.

·
Registered
10,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Cheers :D

Remember this?

It's a perfect example of why you should cut out old metal before welding in new:

Underneath had just continued to deteorate :(
I only worked for about 20mins because my neighbours had some friends come round and the angle grinder is a bit noisy.
I find it hard to understand why people just cover up rust because it continues getting worse and worse. Found similar on my beetle too :(

·
Registered
10,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Damn right. Today I finished off the cutting out :lol:

Kept on finding rust...

And then filler lower down the arch too...

·
Registered
10,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I thought I was making slow progress at the minute :lol:

I'm not even working on weekdays at the minute :D

·
Registered
406 Posts
Crazey man :lol:

for some reason I've had a "spurt" on my bug, it always seems to happen when the shit weather kicks in, didn't work much on it all summer :rolleyes: Gonna start a thread when I get a camera (v soon) which will also spur me on!

·
Registered
10,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:D cool, I look forward to your thread.

Today's work:
This bit fell off after I undid one bumper bolt and unwired the horn (I knew it was crap already :D)

Made a nice mess in my garden:

This hole:

turned into:

And I also made this bit worse:

:D

It's getting there, although progress was slow this afternoon.

1 - 20 of 223 Posts