Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 643 Posts

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well were do I start, Looked on this site at 12:00 and here it is now 18:24 and am still looking, but not just looking thought I would have a go, hope you like my ideas and hard work.
Ok to start my dad brought her back in 1982 and restore her up MOT standard then used her for family outings and short breaks all over the south of England, but then layed her up back in 94-96 isn and then put her up for sale in 2000, I was intrested but was moving to Scotland and had just finished my 78 Spitfire 2.0l straight six that I loved, and had hoped one day to get the bus for free.
So I sold the spit and gave the old man £2000 for her and took her for an MOT,.........she failed on a tyre....sweet. on the way home the front calipers bound up and the exhaust fell of, but hey thats what mot friends are for eh?

This was taken around the time he was done with the welding and painting I was about 7 and my sister 9 years old, she is 32 now and lives in OZ.

I got her to bonny Scotland in 13 hours and parked her up for a year as I was looking for somewere to build a workshop and within the next year had begun.
I lost most of the inital strip photos due to a PC problem but here are a few once the body was ripped down.

I dont have much space in the workshop in with as you can see, but it is 46 foot long so there is room to get on with things.

I have one photo (bad if the motor before I got started

So I set off sorting the sad looking motor out once I had done everything I could to the main body the motor looked quite sad so it was time for mr sheen and I have replaced everything that was worn with new parts from the internet, che crank is great so new pistons, barrels, heads, fuel pump, dizzy, cap, carb. exhaust, alt conv, dog house, tinware, ect ect she came together nicley and looks brill.

Well this is me at 10 photos so I have to go, if I find a way to add more I will as I have more to do.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
cont..

Hope this works,
Ok with the motor in just a quick build for testing and setting up and some photos befor I take it out again for the painter

just a few more parts to go on and we have a sorted 1641cc boxer motor

while the motor was out I sorted out the gear box with new bearings and steel selector fork it has tided up nice and looks great when back in the van
from this

To this in two weeks

not to bad me thinks, and so we go to the welding not to much as my dad kept her in a garage for over 15 years not warm but dry this has helped alot I have had to remove the old waxoil and re paint the chassis, thats a great job there, and I have replaced the out riggers, and some small other repairs, but nothing to major there.
The old out rigger

the hole

and the replacement fits nicley

So I set off to the inside, this was no problem as all it needed was a clean and paint, looked great when I had first done it but now is coverd in foot prints and filings old paint dust oil ect ect

·
Registered
7,493 Posts
looks like you got a good starting point with that bus mate!

but what is all this custom i hear you talking of?

im intruiged :incheek:

keep it coming!

oh and we like lots of pics on here so your off to a good start ;)

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cont..2

this is her just ripped out ready for a clean and paint, and here she is done

It looked like new untill all the dust and crap built up in here again.
Well I decided to get started on somehing differnt for a while as

as I set off ripping this to bits I decided to put in a Porsche rev counter didnt have any idea how to wire this in but someone will tell me bo doubt.
I think it looks smart

I will need to sort out the facia as it isnt fitted right yet, just another job to do later.
I thiught of leaving it black like this but at the last mo I have gone for the same colour on the dash as the body.
Talking of the boby I needed to put some colour on this as I own the oldest car in my road and it looked like scrap so I tryed this set up, Ford pepper red (met pearl) and Peugeot alpine wiess, and wow i loved it, but then disaster........

It seems I was not alone looking on the net I found loads of others, and I mean loads

This made me think...why go classic looking this is my van and I will do what I want with it, I mean it was never going to be concorse so why not have some fun, I have spent over 15 years restoring cars and bikes and Im not about to sell this, so do it for me.

so how do you customise a hovis loaf and make it look modern slock cool and retro all at the same time?? Lower it first, having never lowered a bus before I was kinda worried and took the axel off to find

with this on both sides AAAHHHggg

the uprights had filled with water and were rotten and dangerous, this was a bit of a set back so I brought another bus.....

For the princely sum of £80 yes thats right I said £80. This was a find and a half I can tell you, this was put on ramps back in 1998 ans had never moved since, Within two hours I had her running and moving (its amazing what you can do with fresh petrol and a battery)
I also put on my vw wheels as the tyres on it had rotted through the ramps, and I set off home with it my neibours loved it.(NOT)
She was fooked, everyting below the door handles was gone out riggers were missing and I mean all 4 the front wheel arches were shot batt trays fell off while I was towing it there was no hope for this one I was a shame because in order to keep the neibours happy I cleanded it up and as you can see it didnt look so bad

well for now anyway soon I was to rip the hell out of it and what a find this was a whole load of great stuff in here........

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
cont..2

like this full set of door cards and bench seats, what a find!! as all I wanted was the front axel, in the back there was a working 2.0l vege motor in a sorry state but working, for a while I thought about running this motor but as my 1641 is the org one for the bus I sold it after giving it a good clean up.

The interior

·
Registered
7,493 Posts
we need more!!!! what did you find what did you find!?

you guna break the other bus when you got all the goodies out of it?

if so pm me cos it may well have a few bits i need!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
we need more!!!! what did you find what did you find!?

you guna break the other bus when you got all the goodies out of it?

if so pm me cos it may well have a few bits i need!
I dont know how to PM you, you PM me and I will see what I have

·
Registered
7,493 Posts
seems you worked it out ok ;)

im guessing from the tinwear you have your goin to be modding the rear end to take an early removable valence?

thought of doing that myself but just cut up the existing one instead :incheek:

engine looks cool though!

where did you get the tinwear from or did you just send off yours to be chromed?

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
found in side

All in superb cont, not a rip or tear in any of it some piping missing but thats all, some of the door cards have come unstuck on the back edge so I have repaired this with a heat gun and spray glue, and now thay are like new, some one told me that the rear bench seat is rare due to the fact it folds flat with a tie down strap, but to me just seems normal, its very Beetle like in it's operation.

this is it fitted to my 72

and not to forget the front axel that I brought the bus for

Here it is all done with a minor ajustment of Fuch ajusters welded in so from her on its all down hill, lol.

Now with the front axel in place I had to see what I had done, so slammed it but with standard wheels and tyres, didnt quite go as low as I first thought she would, but sitll down 8-10 inches, this means I wont be breaking the sky light on the garage door any longer.
She was quite high with nothing in her here

But now she sits a bit lower

Hmm time to think of wheels............EBAY!!!!!!
After a few weeks looking I came upon and won these wheels but im in dundee and the wheels were in Cambridgeshire, I hot footed it down there and back 1000 miles, and was happy with them but ther do need some low pro tyres and a good clean.

so with some some and elbow grease we have now a shiney chrome set of wheels, just need the tyres, here they are clean, and here they are on and lowered........

sorry here they are on the next post..........

·
Registered
25,413 Posts
top stuff mate - nice find on the £80 bus too! :D

Just a word of caution before you get too far:
bus + 1641cc + chrome tinware = a very warm engine!!

1641's have a little trouble dissepating the heat build up (especially in a heavy bus) and the the chrome just bounces that heat straight back again. You'd be better off selling the chrome to a buggy owner, and going for black.

Oh, and welcome!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
seems you worked it out ok ;)

im guessing from the tinwear you have your goin to be modding the rear end to take an early removable valence?

thought of doing that myself but just cut up the existing one instead :incheek:

engine looks cool though!

where did you get the tinwear from or did you just send off yours to be chromed?
All the tin ware is from ebay and BIGBOYSTOYS bbt are not great infact I had ordered some wheels from them they took the money and six weeks later told me they had no wheels in the country for me,B**tards!!! not happy I told them to poke it somewere smelly,lol.
As for the removable valence nope I will make an outer tray from stainless steel that I hope to make engine removal easyeerrrrr.
This is shite Chinese tin stuff so I am having the lot sent off to a platers and having it chromed at 20 microns this will make it last a few years.
Can you help me I want a new front grill in chrome custom or standard not fussed but cant get one any ideas???
I am just about to start anothe page so keep watching......

·
Registered
7,493 Posts
try chill grills, they have an ebay store so just search for vw camper grill or something to find them they mainly do stainless but might be worth a try?

and those wheels look uber cool!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
more 2

All in great shape, some of the door cards had come unstuck around the edges but some spray glue sorted it out with aid of a heat gun.
so as I was short of space I fitted the seats in side the bus, it looked fab but its not staying this way as I will be building a custom interior for this next year, with 2 12 inch subs 2 x 800w amps 6x9's la la la....
This is just a big help in getting her on the road without being empty and un finished looking.
here is the 78 axel after i had welded the fuch adapters and painted it up ready for re fitting

and the new seats, the rear bench folds down flat and is held with the org strap cool or what!!! if you want this bench seat for yours it will be for sale next summer, I guess there is a page on here for selling stuff, but for now this is what it looks like in the bus

and in the back

and from the rear

more to come later on tonight I need a break from this!!!!

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
and more

Ok so now I fit the new wheels, I like them as they are not to modern but look cool and retroish, just a shame about the 185/80/14 tyres really might go for 195/50/14 take some more height off

she looks UBER cool now, but I think a new colour is in order, as the red and white is very common, and mine is to be diffrent.

And so we come to the end of the 78 bay, I was a bit sad to see her go she was a great find and had made me some money for parts, but with nothing on her I wanted she was left looking like this,

and off to the scrappy in the sky, it is always sad to scrap something like this but I needed the room and to be straight with you she was done.

so I have a gear box for a 2.0l motor if you need one also a starter motor, plus some other small bits, in fact the headlights were in new cont and I have them in my workshop if anybody is needing them.
Bearing in mind this is five years work to get you up to date, we come to were she is now, at the painters ripped down and looking like I have just started again, but on the good side no more of this,

or this for a while anyway

Well here we are up to date, here she is at the painters,

While she is away I have room for restoring the pop top (devon)
I will post his when I have made some improvement on what is left of it, lol

this is the 35 year old rubbers.

See ya real soon guys and gals.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
more 2a

Ok so now I fit the new wheels, I like them as they are not to modern but look cool and retroish, just a shame about the 185/80/14 tyres really might go for 195/50/14 take some more height off

she looks UBER cool now, but I think a new colour is in order, as the red and white is very common, and mine is to be diffrent.

And so we come to the end of the 78 bay, I was a bit sad to see her go she was a great find and had made me some money for parts, but with nothing on her I wanted she was left looking like this,

and off to the scrappy in the sky, it is always sad to scrap something like this but I needed the room and to be straight with you she was done.

so I have a gear box for a 2.0l motor if you need one also a starter motor, plus some other small bits, in fact the headlights were in new cont and I have them in my workshop if anybody is needing them.
Bearing in mind this is five years work to get you up to date, we come to were she is now, at the painters ripped down and looking like I have just started again, but on the good side no more of this,

or this for a while anyway

Well here we are up to date, here she is at the painters,

While she is away I have room for restoring the pop top (devon)
I will post his when I have made some improvement on what is left of it, lol

this is the 35 year old rubbers.

See ya real soon guys and gals.

·
Registered
25,413 Posts
All the tin ware … is shite Chinese tin stuff so I am having the lot sent off to a platers and having it chromed at 20 microns this will make it last a few years.
Can you help me I want a new front grill in chrome custom or standard not fussed but cant get one any ideas???.
save your money on chroming the tinwawre and spend it on chroming the front grille! :eek:
…don't say I didn't warn you!!

btw Karmann Konnection sell chromed genuine front grilles

1 - 20 of 643 Posts