Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been snooping around these parts for a while and thought it was time to add my two penneth to the readers rides section.

I bought my bug around 5 years back, it looked like this

I'd wanted a GT since as long as I can remember, but lack of funds and space had kept it firmly in dream territory. Then I thought fuck it and bought one on ebay :lol:

The ad used words like 'imaculate' and 'pristine' and although there were a few things I didn't like about it, it felt right.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
So when I had a closer look at my 'imaculate' and 'pristine' GT, there was in fact severe corrosion around all suspension mounts, floor pans and heater channels, all heavily covered with paint.

My fault, I bought it unseen and let my heart control my ebay clicking finger.

As I have no skills with a mig, I got the car to Ashley at Berkshire Bugs, who did a top job cutting out all the rot and making good a number of crappy repairs to boot. (wish I had some before and after pics)

While at it, he welded in some adjusters so I could get the nose down a bit.

I hated the four spoke (ford capri???) alloys the PO had fitted, so sold them on and picked up some slot mags.

It now looked more like this

Getting there

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Inside was pretty rough, the front seats were old Recaros (Capri again??) that were too big for the bug, and really worn and uncomfortable.

so I hit ebay again and picked up some bargain Tombstones from a 968 someone was breaking and whacked those in

Much better

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
From then, I pretty much just drove it for a few years, intermitently as a daily and weekend car. Didn't do much except the odd bit here and there, all the time learning more about how it worked (largely in part to the good folks on Mech Tech) and trial and error. I did change the shifter from this

to this

60% throw reduction CSP shifter - perhaps the best investment I've made in this car.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
More recently, I've dumped the bumpers (soon to be for sale) and replaced with some T bars from here (thanks vdubberdan), got some skinny rubber up front and (very exciting for me) dropped the engine for the first time. Plan is for something a bit special back there, but for now, just want to strip and rebuild the 1600TP to carry on learning.

Currently it looks like this

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Looks good with the slotmags.:cool:

I like the look of the old shifter (apart from the gearknob). Looks a bit like an E-Z-R shifter without lift up collar near the top.
It was a standard GT shifter (apart from the knob - original was wooden I believe), but had to be moved to the next postcode to change gear. I'm not sure where it went, but I'm sure I still have it knocking around someplace, would never change it back though, the CSP is fantastic.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Wow, almost 7 years to the day since I updated this.

That said, it will be fairly straightforward to bring up to date, as for around 6 of those years the car has sat in a garage, waiting for me to find some time and money to lavish on it.

We did move house a couple of years back, but despite relocating less than a mile away, the GT was unable to make the trip under it's own steam as the engine looked like this:

so a little help was needed:

The only problem was that the new place didn't have a garage to put the car and engine bits in to gather garage dust:eek:

Curses, I should have read the estate agents brochure more closely.

Only one thing for it. Hammer time.https://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=1517289

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Once all that garage creation malarkey was done and dusted (and dusted and dusted again) I quickly set about recycling some of the floor timbers into a decent sized workbench:

Picked up some cheap (yet sturdy) metal racking from a storage place down the road for the various engine bits I had dismantled and accumilated

and tucking her up ready for a few more years of inevitable neglect.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
The neglect was however short lived. The new garage being more a part of our house, as well as a much more desirable place for me to hide in, I found myself popping in to do little jobs here and there far more often and the itch was returning to work on the car.

The lack of engine (at least in assembled form) was the biggest issue and I was under no illusion that, despite having all the necessary parts and a rough idea how to stick them together, an engine builder I am not.

So I sourced this from good old VZI for sale ads:

2007 with genuine 44IDFs, some worked heads (Steve Tims) and C35 cam.

I'm not chasing bulk power, but mated to my CSP Supercomp, this should push it along rather nicely.

I updated all parts I thought could use it (fuel lines, oil lines, spark plugs, HT Leads, Air Filters etc) and gave it a full service on the bench.

Problem is getting the thing in the engine bay.

Long story short, I wanted to be able to get it in and out easily, as well as gain access for servicing, so after much research, several beers and a generous helping of 'what's the worst that could happen?', I did this (purists and skilled metal workers look away now)

Not too pretty but lets me do what I wanted and is basically invisible when all buttoned up (using plates bolted in the wheel well).

So now we have this:

Lets go drivin'!

Well I would have, except I had stripped out the loom to tidy up nearly 50 years of bodges, splices and choccy blocks (some of which done by me), so I needed to engage my patience circuit and do some wiring

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I started with the best of intentions and actually had a loom on the shelf purchased from M7 during a sale event.

It was nice enough and well put together, but came with no labelling and was generic for my year. My set up is pretty far from stock, for example

so having installed 90% of the loom, I was pulling my hair out customising the last 10% to get it to all work (and ending up with a similarly spliced, bodged and oddly connected loom to the old one, just less dusty)

My eagerness to get the thing driving again and my frustration at my own ineptitude brought me to contacting Iain at Aircooled Auto Elec.

Following lengthy chats and plenty of piccys, he made up what he described as 'a c**t of a loom' but I found to be a thing of beauty. Everything fit perfectly, every terminal was correct and I installed it with relative ease.

Mrs. Mayo's view for the best part of the day:

It is without doubt the best money I have chucked at this car and I would wholeheartedy recommend him if you need a loom or electrical support on your 'dub.

https://www.aircooledautoelec.com/

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Time for that drive! She rolled out under her own steam for the first time in 7-8 years Easter weekend this year, just a gentle run to the local Shell to fill the tank and get some air in the tyres. I had a huge, slightly mad grin plastered across my chops for the duration.

However, all was not well. The motor was running just fine and sounding pretty meaty (induction and exhaust notes giving me tingles in my undercrackers) but every now and again, the motor would begin to gain revs and the car accelerate with no input from the noisy pedal.

This caused a different and far less welcome sensation in my undercrackers.

Although I was impressed by the acceleration this new motor could produce, I'm a bit of a traditionalist and prefer to summon the ponies with my right foot, rather than some fault in the throttle / linkage deciding when to give it the beans.

I replaced the throttle cable, guide and fan housing tube, lubricated the bell crank linkage and tried again. Same issue.

Further inspection and trials found the fault located with the pedal cluster and although I can drive it (just - it does require me driving barefoot and using my big toe to return the throttle shaft following acceleration), it's not ideal, far from safe and costs me too much in underpants.

The pedals have been a bit shonky since I bought the thing, so I have ordered a refurbished set and will chop mine in as core when I get around to swapping them out.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
After several weeks, the new pedals arrived at Casa Mayo.

They look rather nice. I opted for a clutch hook upgrade (much easier than trying to get the cable to stay on the hook during installation) and also a roller pedal as I prefer the feel of it.

I stripped out the old pedal set with much trial and error (very little reference material to be found online, plenty for LHD from the US, but slim pickings for RHD cars - I should write up the steps I took and share in mech tech) and cleaned up the mounting plate etc.

The new set went in fairly straightforwardly (its not a fun job IMO and some ability at contorsion would help greatly), but eventually I had them in.

I was dreading the clutch cable, even with the easier fitting threaded hook but actually it was pretty easy

Then, just as it seemd to be going a little too well, the throttle pedal would not engage the shaft without leaving too much protruding from the cable end

I tried all sorts of adjustments, fiddling, swearing and grazed a couple of knuckles, but no joy.

I snapped some piccys and emailed the chap I bought the pedals from to see if he could sport what I had done wrong:confused:

I guess I'll try again next weekend....

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ah HA!

A couple of cups of tea and a good head scratch, plus a helpful email back from the pedal chap and they're in.

(As with most things with this car, the culprit was not shoddy parts or poor instructions, it was me being a bellend)

Just need to adjust the clutch cable at the gearbox end and it's ready for (another) test drive.

Very pleased with that, I would have been up all night annoyed / trying to figure it out / peeing as I drank too much tea trying to figure it out :)

·
Saddest VZi'er 2020
6,778 Posts
Great to read of your progress. Hope you have a lot of fun with it now it's back on the road.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Great to read of your progress. Hope you have a lot of fun with it now it's back on the road.
Thanks Glen, having had a long break from actually driving it, I had forgotten how much I enjoy doing so. Its such a different animal than the daily hack.

Less comfortable, quiet, well appointed, quick or able to handle small bumps in the road, but absolutely more fun to drive.:lol:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.