Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 595 Posts

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's been a while since I had a readers rides thread going on here, so I thought I'd post a bit of an update on my Late Bug project.

I've owned it since December 2008, after buying it off a good friend. His original thread can be seen here:

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=304696

Essentially, here's an overview:

The car when it was last on the road

The car got pulled off the road because of a blocked fuel line and then some other stuff kinda happened...

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Then this happened:

Paint went off, as did the shell from the chassis...

Paint went back on :)

Naturally me being me, it's taken over a year to get this far, but it's starting to make at least some progress. It should be finished before the end of 2010 :)

I've got just about everything I need for it, but it's a case of finding time to do it! It doesn't help that our lockup is 200 miles away from where I live...

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I should probably point out that the inner wings were stripped, prepped and stonechipped before being topcoated. I think it's the ideal finish for a car that's actually going to get used:

It's ultimately being built as a car I can use whenever I want, in comfort and also future-proofed for my other plans :)

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Looks good Alain, I think going down the route of making it usable all day every day is by far the best way. Why the dash change, I couldn't see a difference (although I'm sure you didn't cut it out for no good reason :D )

Guy
The car originally came out of the factory left hand drive, as it was destined for a dealership in Germany. Shortly after it was imported to the UK, the car was converted to right hand drive.

Because the metal dash was covered by a padded dash, the quality of the dash conversion was obviously neglected. What was lurking under the padded cover was pretty awful, and the radio opening had been butchered to accept a modern head unit.

As a padded dash wasn't wanted on the finished car it was decided that the best option was to graft in dash from another car.

If you look at the photo you can see the terrible finish on the conversion, where the new sections had been 'welded' in. Overall, the dash was gash :D

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
Porsche Guards Red, Ross.

I wasn't overly keen on the original Mars Red, as it's too much of a red/orange cross and decided that if I was going to pay my good hard earned on getting it painted, I would at least do it a colour I liked (that's also period and close to the original).

:)
Ah nice choice ;) :cool:

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
awsome mate, i have a 87 brazillian bug thats narrowed and slammed! looking forward to seeing this finished!
Cheers dude - Me too!

It's going to take me a while longer to complete, but it should be worth it in the end.
It won't be a show car, but will be good enough for me to be happy with.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Looking good dude :D

I was going to paint mine Guards red many years ago, still love the colour!

Those wheels look really good to, are you planning on running hub caps or leaving them without?

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
i think the new colour looks great dude.

if you didnt know anything about vws you would just think its a factory colour i reckon.

will look great when its all done

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i think the new colour looks great dude.

if you didnt know anything about vws you would just think its a factory colour i reckon.

will look great when its all done
That's the plan, dude.

I'm sure many people also aim for it, but I'd like it to look like it could have been a factory special edition.

I don't imagine it will turn out like that, but I'll at least aim for it.

The way the car is being built now is as preparation for furture incarnations - Eventually I want to end up with something that I could truly class as a GT; A good power plant/drivetrain, comfortable but sporty ride, and an enjoyable interior.

We'll see though! For now I just need to get stage 1 built.

·
Registered
4,687 Posts
you need a nice turbo engine in there dude

they rock :D

im planning something similar to mine - rebuilding it to look factory but with uprated suspension, brakes, and engine :)

1 - 20 of 595 Posts