Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 288 Posts

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
heres my bug on its way over from so cal

which is going on my 70's floorpan with a full airride kit from airkewld and these wheels...

and i'm trying to sell this one and then find a three fold to graft into the 54 body

and one of these beauties holding up the front end

and ending up something like this

and these to stop it and let the wheels fit

and these to throw into the broth

and this steering wheel with a red leather halfwrap

your thoughts would be welcomed

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
your thoughts would be welcomed
don't use the airkeweld suspension......

air shocks were never designed to suport that much weight, that's why you get bags

other than that, promises to be a sweet ride

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts
looks like he is using bags at the front but are there shocks to go with it ? Just thinking about the MOT

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
its a swing axle rear on my 70....
the reason it is going on a 70 pan is because my project started with a 70 bug and i started purchasing about £8000 worth of parts most of which were for the 70 pan then once the body of the 70 was shotblasted the true reality hit me....
it was not beyond repair but it was certainly not worth restoring to show condition.
my plan is to put the 54 body on the 70 pan and then in a couple of years time (when i've got more money) i can show standard the 54 pan and flip em' round and sell the 70 airride pan to cover some of the costs....
sound complicated but i have spent months working everything out and this is the best solution i came up with.......

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sorry, bout the shocks.... the shocks are optional on the setup, the beam is being tested at present so is not availible to anyone but it seems that i am one of the first on the list.. i will look into the english legalities of having no shocks before i decide on whether i'll be using them but with the mot's over here i expect i will.

I am looking for £240 for the rag as it is complete apart from the rag material and if you look at it realisticly the silver rails on the sides cost £120 new so i think thats a fair deal.
was hoping to do some kind of p/ex for threefold parts but either way really....... :hangloose

·
Registered
3,921 Posts
didn't see the beam this morning.....

you'll need shocks for an MOT i'm afraid.

you'll also benifut from a decent anti roll bar if your front bags are T piced together to stop roll.

·
Registered
9,283 Posts
looks like a cracking bit of kit that beam, or aleast the welds look nice!!!
shoudlnt the air in the system be enough of a dmaperner, like the discovery landrover thingy, ok they run shockers too, but you kow what i mean,
also the cabs of most lories run just bags, and ok they aint suspesion but they do hold the weight and act lik a shock absorber....

i jsut think if the lowest setting still has some air in it should be reet....

on the whole Ragtop thing... my compleate rag top was 50quid, all that needed was painted and na new rag material, and the pressed roof section which was 150, i know i got a seatl oin the compelate mechanism for 5quid and proberbly paid above avarge on the compelate ragtop roof pressing, but it was the closest on too me, and P+P on a complate roof would have bee 100's...
but ive never heard anything like the prices for the ally sliders, i got a pair of the long ones from dubfreze this year for a 5ver each, they where less worn/scrached as mine so im gonna get em mirror polished.. bling baby bling....

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts
lee70airbug said:
sorry, bout the shocks.... the shocks are optional on the setup, the beam is being tested at present so is not availible to anyone but it seems that i am one of the first on the list.. i will look into the english legalities of having no shocks before i decide on whether i'll be using them but with the mot's over here i expect i will.

I am looking for £240 for the rag as it is complete apart from the rag material and if you look at it realisticly the silver rails on the sides cost £120 new so i think thats a fair deal.
was hoping to do some kind of p/ex for threefold parts but either way really....... :hangloose
don't be the first to have any new product

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts
alex1916v said:
looks like a cracking bit of kit that beam, or aleast the welds look nice!!!
shoudlnt the air in the system be enough of a dmaperner, like the discovery landrover thingy, ok they run shockers too, but you kow what i mean,
also the cabs of most lories run just bags, and ok they aint suspesion but they do hold the weight and act lik a shock absorber....

i jsut think if the lowest setting still has some air in it should be reet....

on the whole Ragtop thing... my compleate rag top was 50quid, all that needed was painted and na new rag material, and the pressed roof section which was 150, i know i got a seatl oin the compelate mechanism for 5quid and proberbly paid above avarge on the compelate ragtop roof pressing, but it was the closest on too me, and P+P on a complate roof would have bee 100's...
but ive never heard anything like the prices for the ally sliders, i got a pair of the long ones from dubfreze this year for a 5ver each, they where less worn/scrached as mine so im gonna get em mirror polished.. bling baby bling....
maybe - but it'll fail an MOT

·
Registered
9,283 Posts
so would loads of stuff, but if the bags are the dampeners then why would it fail....

or if your happy with the ride with out, bolt a old pair of shockers on at MOT time, then take em off after, sound dogy but loads of people do stuff like this to pass MOT's everyday.

also why should no one ever be the first to try anything, we would stop moving forward if people wouldnt try anything first, ie adam and eve wouldnt have had a kid and we wouldnt be here, kinda off topic but its along theose lines!!! LOL

cheers
alex.

·
Premium Member
16,142 Posts
alex1916v said:
so would loads of stuff, but if the bags are the dampeners then why would it fail....

or if your happy with the ride with out, bolt a old pair of shockers on at MOT time, then take em off after, sound dogy but loads of people do stuff like this to pass MOT's everyday.

also why should no one ever be the first to try anything, we would stop moving forward if people wouldnt try anything first, ie adam and eve wouldnt have had a kid and we wouldnt be here, kinda off topic but its along theose lines!!! LOL

cheers
alex.
without spending my life respnding to this ;) do a search and a lot of people (with considerably more engineering experience than me) have tried to go the "no shock" route and have then made the decision to go with them

ref "not being the first" - maybe I'll explain to you in person at a show sometime but not on a public forum

1 - 20 of 288 Posts