Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, on my way to a hospital appointment, my Daily Bug almost killed me.

Whilst doing 70mph on an A road, my drivers side lower trailing arm ball joint popped out of the arm. It threw me across the road into the oncoming traffic, nearly broke my arms trying to keep it on the road, managed to pull the wheel the other way but of course then the drivers side wheel went from fully toe out to fully toe in, so threw the car the other way. It was raining, so couldn't slam on hard, but when I touched the brake the front end went crazy so I slowed down with gears and handbrake. Luckily the lorry behind me had cottoned on to what was happening very quickly so he stopped the traffic behind him.

If it hadn't have been lowered at the front, I think it would have been much worse because the beam hit the road when it went, I think that saved my life in all honestly because it slowed me down and helped keep it straight. I'm fine, the only damage is the beam and obviously the ball joint. Luckily I still have the beam I bought from Baz that I never got around to fitting.

But the moral of the story folks, CHECK YOUR BALL JOINTS!!!!!

Pics of the car now:

No advisory on last MOT... Still not clear why it went like that... I'll be finishing fitting the new beam tomorrow!

·
Registered
20,837 Posts
Blimey :eek: ...close call....glad to hear you're alright though if not a bit shaken :hug:

·
Registered
15,456 Posts
Shit, that's not good. Glad you're OK. Was it the whole ball joint that came out the arm or just the ball/wiggly bit that came apart from the rest of the ball joint?

Has it done much damage?

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Joint dislocated. So half the joint is left in the arm. Damage is a bent beam, the joint obviously, thats about ot for now...

·
Holy Calamity
67,032 Posts
Crack on mate! I survived, didn't have my baby daughter in the car at teh time, so can laugh it off!
Phew :lol:

One of my old Minis did that, but I was parking it up in our drive... Ball joint just collapsed... It clonked, the front dipped and it wouldn't steer. I'll never forget the horrible sinking-stomach feeling I had - I'd been giving it a proper thrashing all the way home. Not good...

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
Ouch!

At least you're OK, and the car hopefully won't take much to get right again.

Good job the driver behind you understood what was happening too.

Good luck getting it roadworthy again.

When checking balljoints, what do you suggest should be looked for? :)

·
Registered
912 Posts
The reason (IMO) that knackered ball joints aren't often picked up on during an MOT, is that testers usually try and check them by putting a bar under the wheel, and looking for play by moving the wheel upwards - like they would with any other car. If you think about when you remove a spindle, the bottom arm springs upwards and the top springs downwards. Thus the joints (which face each other)are actually pushing towards each other with considerable force and holding themselves together. You'll often only see the wear if you can spread the arms away from each other...

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
13,093 Posts
:eek:

jesus shit, buddy :(

ironic that u were headed to the hospital....

glad to hear u're okay tho'

·
Registered
16,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The reason (IMO) that knackered ball joints aren't often picked up on during an MOT, is that testers usually try and check them by putting a bar under the wheel, and looking for play by moving the wheel upwards - like they would with any other car. If you think about when you remove a spindle, the bottom arm springs upwards and the top springs downwards. Thus the joints (which face each other)are actually pushing towards each other with considerable force and holding themselves together. You'll often only see the wear if you can spread the arms away from each other...
Tis how ya check 'em! Though jacking the front up and checking for play by pulling your wheel up and down can show wear in the lower joint.

Thanks for all positive comments! :D

God only knows what caused it, but I tell you one thinh, it's going back to bloody stock now! :lol:

As for a rusty quarter, you wanna see the rear quarters! :moon::lol:

The car is actually going to be baja'd by a mate of mine later this year. It had heater channels, frame head, pans and all sorts replaced in 1999 (I think) by a previous owner... AT AN AUDI DEALERSHIP PAYING DEALERSHIP PRICES!!!!!!! The bodywork is untidy in places, but luckily every single part of it that is rusty is what you would remove when baja'ing anyway... All four wings need replacing (fronts are rusted through where teh bra is at the bottom), some chav kicked in the back wings when I had the car out the back of my yard with the engine out (drilling exhaust studs outta the head), spare wheel well has a hole in it, and the rear quarter on the driver side round the half moon is rusty, but as I said since we are Baja'ing it and bare metalling it, there's no dramas really!

Anyway, my undies are now clean, my wrists have stopped hurting and now my daughter is sat on my lap and keeps mashing the keyboard! Things back to normal then!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.