Volkszone Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 513 Posts

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, My name is Cy, im 27 and am about to start my first restoration.
Well, technically, it's not my "first" resto, as ive restored a few scooters before and stuff.

This week i bought a 1971 1200 Beetle.
I usually ride motorbikes and scooters, but i suffer from ms, which is making bike riding somewhat problematic at the moment.

So the motorbike went and the car is here.
I want to try and do a rolling resto as much as i can, as it will still be my primary transport.

I like the idea of making a long thread here to follow its progress. Ive seen other people's threads and have been very impressed by the stories that unfold as they go along. :)

I think i know what i want to end up with - A "vision" if you like. i will play with bugselecta and see what i can do for an image...

Ok, here it is...

Im creating a gallery online so its easier for me to post some pics into the threads here and also incase anyone wants to have a look at the full extent of the pics i take.

More pics and updates as soon as i have them sorted out :D

Cy

·
Registered
8,436 Posts
Woo another orange '71 1200!!! Welcome to the club:D

There's gotta be like 3 or four of them in readers rides now? Ok, 1541's isn't a 1200 but what the hell. And Mines not orange anymore, but that's beside the point. Feel free to join the club anyways.

Looks nice BTW... Hope you enjoy it:D

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
:)
highly unlikey that mine will be orange at the end of it either...hehe

Ok, so now motogp has finished, and the rain has stopped for a few hours...I could crack into the car a little more.

So, a bit of a disclaimer: my knowledge of VW's is limited, and my terminology of things is bad too...but learning is what this is all about right?
Please excuse any stupid and naive questions from me, as im sure i will be asking them.
Im ambitious and not afraid to try anything myself.
As jonofdoom says - "its just a rusty car", and i want to make mine not as rusty as it is :)

I have little knowledge of the heater channels or where they run or how they exactly worked until today.
Well, to be more precise, i now know where mine should be.
I knew i was going to have to replace panels and stuff but due to the way the heaters were so bloody hot, i didnt expect the channels to be as shot as they are.

I took all the carpets up and took the seats out. the floor pans seem pretty decent, but the heat channels/sills/door posts will need some work.

Everything was coated in a sticky tarry type sealant, and some had a silvery look, when i pushed it, it was kinda rubbery, which i thought was a special sealant of some sort

...until i realised it was actually caulk/silicon.

I started to scrub all the tar off of that and managed to find that it was actually holding everything together.

Yes, that IS silicone globs inside there!
I kept pulling tons out etc etc...and ended up with all this fun stuff:

Which is ok, as i can now see where im at and i can distinguish the heater channels from the inner sill (?) which is strong for the most part.

I can also see where the water is coming in from the underneath as well as from the door post.

I will be honest, i'm nervy about cutting anything (first resto and all) and i know that as soon as i do the first bit, the rest will be easier.

Im thinking that this would be a good place to start the fixing :)

To replace this, and i know it's a case of chopping it back, just how far should i go back?

I need to replace the bottom of the door post too, but which bit do i replace first?
The heater channel or the door post bottom?
Is there an order to doing this?

Underneath the whole side of the channel is all gone too, and will need replacing.
Is there any kind of online tutorial for replacing all of this kinda thang?

ok, i will update more when i do some more.
Hopefully i havent asked too many questions (sorry if i have)

The thought of work is really not pleasing me tomorrow but i guess i have to earn some money to pay for all of this.

·
Registered
8,436 Posts
magicfiver said:
To replace this, and i know it's a case of chopping it back, just how far should i go back?

I need to replace the bottom of the door post too, but which bit do i replace first?
The heater channel or the door post bottom?
Is there an order to doing this?

Underneath the whole side of the channel is all gone too, and will need replacing.
Is there any kind of online tutorial for replacing all of this kinda thang?
I'd probably sort the channel first, although if it's rusted all along the bottom it might be easier to replace it with a whole fresh one, bottom bit and all.. Heater channels are not somtihng I've replaced tho, so can't realy give you any tips. If you do replace it it'll be good to leave most of the door pillar in place, so as to have a guide when positioning the new one. Then with the channel replaced, you can slot a new pillar bottom in (go to hookyspanelshop.com, his panels kick ass).

You'll need to cut back to full strength decent thickness clean metal with any welding repair, but as mentioned above it might be a lot easier to take the full length of the channel out and replace.

Anyways, heres a good link for channels etc...

http://www.superbeetles.com/welcome.htm

Click on tech, then tech talk with rick, and you'll find all manner of good stuff.. I used their tutorial to get the body off my bug, it helped no end.

EDIT: looking at your pics again, I'd say replace, defo, especialy if the botom is rotted out too. All IMHO naturaly:hangloose

DOUBLE EDIT: I may have been too hasty with the above edit.. If that's actualy all the rust there is, you could repair it fairly easily, and replace the bottom plate.. That said, you realy need to find out exactly how much rust there is on it. Go out and get brutal with a screwdriver:hangloose

·
Registered
553 Posts
Another orange car! Good luck with your project.

Looks like the door pillar bottom has had some 'attention' before, as one of the door hinge screws is covered/plated over.

As Jon said get the screwdriver out!

·
Registered
3,172 Posts
Jonofdoom said:
Woo another orange '71 1200!!! Welcome to the club:D
Global domination!!

Welcome to the orange veedub club!! :D

Don't listen to Jon, keep it orange!!!

Ben :hangloose

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
:D :D

ahhh, the orange population is strong i see hehe

After reading up on the channel replacement methods...its too much for me to do here - i have not the space or expertise sadly (which pi$$es me off no end)
i have been calling this morning to get some prices and quotes for heater channel replacements.
have a guy coming to look on thursday... and a guy calling me back.

·
Registered
8,436 Posts
Ya, we're collecting the orange ones so they can be sprayed a less offensive colour:incheek::D

Don't be too scared by the tutorial btw, it'd be much easier with the body off.... There's a couple good threads on here too(do a quick search) regarding channel replacement.. Although I would never have tried somthing like that when I first got me bug, so I should probably shut up about it:D

If you do get the chanels done by someone else go along and watch them work, asuming they dont mind.. That'll give you a real good feel for metalworking on a car. It helped me no end when I got a local-ish guy to come weld up a few areas on my car when I first got it, I got my car fixed and got a free welding lesson thrown in with it:hangloose

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a chap coming on thursday evening to have a look and give me a price to do them.
But i just got the go ahead from my mum to use her driveway if i want to do it myself.

Id love to do it myself, but I think the whole body off thing is scaring me the most.
we will see.
in the meantime i will order up the channels and panels i need for the rest of it.
there is lots. haha

Cy

·
Registered
59 Posts
Good luck from me!
Thats the most important thing!
Keep going. In the end you'll look at it and think wow 'I did that'
Orange is cool - More and more are changing colour - soon orange will be the new blue or red.??!!!!!ERRK

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for your support :)

picked up a ton of panels at action on saturday which is good
i also picked up an empi shifter which wont let me select first or second. (not sure why and is pi$$ing me off)

also the nice 50ltr compressor i got managed to set itself on fire yesterday when i tested it for the first time.

once the channels are done, i can start geting panels tacked and welded in woohoo

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
I've just had a whole load of woes with trying to fit a urethane gear shift coupling. Did it to give less sloppiness, but also because the orignal seemed as if it had become bent. Of course, the new posh urethane one instantly wouldn't allow me to set the gear stick up to select 1st/2nd. Refitting the old bent coupling did. Go figure.
Did refitting the stock gear stick return it to normal? Any problems before trying to fit the EMPI shifter?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
yeah as soon as i fitted the OG one it was fine. its always been a bit of a job on the odd occasion going into second (i predict this was worn bushings/couplings)
It never pops out of any gear though.

I spoke to the shop who i got the shifter from yesterday and they said sometimes they are a total pain to get aligned. im hoping its not my bushes and couplings that are gone too. Ive heard theyre a pain to fit - how did you find yours to do?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
mmm the courier brought me new bits.

So in total (with the parts i picked up from cool-air at action)...
2 x heater channels
2 x door post repair sections
2 x inner front wing repair panels
1 x front valance
1 x rear valance
1 x nearside rear wing/bumper repair patch
1 x nearside wing
1 x offside wing
1 x offside rear quarter panel repair panel (large)
1 x bonnet (£20 bargain from action)

As it goes... the existing bonnet had more than a just skim of filler on it... like 1/2 inch thick slab... i chipped it and pieces all smashed off. i have no idea why it was like this. very odd.

1 - 20 of 513 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.