Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Sand Scorcher 2010

Right I Preordered this when it was announced but recently had a Long stint in Hospital and it was actually delivered while I was in there so I got my parents to bring it all in for me and I actually built the big majority of it while in Hospital on my little Bedside Table, lol. The rest of it which was just the Body and Paint I finished now I am Home from Hospital. I thought I'd take a few pics of the process, so here they are!

First look at the Box:

This wasn't on the Original Box....:

First opening of the Box, good old style Blister Packing!:

It also came with the Limited Tamiya Blue Bag:

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Gear Box and Drive Shafts assembled:

Motor and Pinion Gears now installed:

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rear Cage and Roll Bar assembled:

Front (long) and Rear (short) Shocks assembled:

Cage, Roll Bar, Shocks and Custom Exhaust! installed:

Chassis, Front Beam and Shocks all assembled and installed:

Front Bumper attached:

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Radio Gear installed in Radio Box:

Radio Box installed on Chassis:

Front Wheels assembled and Tyres installed:

Rear Wheels assembled and Tyres installed:

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I didn't like the Black Plastic Rear Cage or the Stock Front Bumper so I got a Custom Alloy Rear Cage and 'Box Art' Front Bumper Made:

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Now the Chassis was as I wanted it and fully running I started on the Body, I didn't want to paint it 'Box Art' Colours as everyone does that! I wanted something different!

So first I sprayed the whole Body Black and once dry I masked off the Paint Scheme:

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
looking good fella bet you were the talk of the ward did the doctors check up on the build as well as you :D

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Second Colour applied, dry and unmasked:

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
looking good fella bet you were the talk of the ward did the doctors check up on the build as well as you :D
Haha they certainly were, all the Nurses were going "Wow, look at that!" and then telling all the other Nurses to come have a look, lol.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
A few more of the Finished Chassis:

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And now what it's all been for.....

Body Finished and Mounted!:

Done!

It will be attending the Shows with me this year! :D

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
Did the original one come with a mock rear engine?
Would be cool to have one :)
Loving the colour scheme hope you have fun with it now you've escaped the hospital! :D

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Looks tidy, that. Got mine driving tonight.... well, the chassis anyway. I've nailed it together with a home-made battery pack and a 30 year old Acoms receiver, until I can afford some new stuff. It's pretty quick, even with the stock motor, though for some reason reverse is much slower...?

I was going to do the body as per the box (yeah, boring but I've wanted one like that ever since I saw one in a 1980 edition of Cars & Car Conversions, being tested by Derek Bell) but after seeing the price of the official paints, I might do something else. For starters I've got a scruffy monster Beetle shell, so I feel a touch of the NATO green coming on... plus it'll be harder to fuck up. In theory.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Cheers Guys, once I am able to actually get downstairs I will take it out back and get some Real Good Pics :D

Did the original one come with a mock rear engine?
No it didn't, I have however seen it done and every now and then a mock aircooled engine that someone has made does appear on ebay.
I've also seen someone use the the engine from the 1:9 Scale Revell Kubelwagen Plastic Kit.

·
Registered
6,211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
lol, yes that one :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts