Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 386 Posts

·
Registered
15,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't think I've ever created a thread for my Beetle before so here goes with a brief history...

July 1st 2001 - Wasted all of money on this shiney car after my daily Vauxhall Ashtray was stolen:

Drove it everywhere for a while whilst parts slowly fell off:

Dad helped me crack out the grinder and welder and got me going on it:

Shortly after that photo was taken - welder in hand - the petrol tank errupted and gushed it's contents into the main road! :eek:

I should have read the signs and scrapped it there and then but I was far too stubborn to do that. Took it for an MOT test and was given it back. It was so bad that they didn't bother giving me the failure sheet or charging for it. :lol: "It'll never see the road again" they said. Again, I should've taken the hint. :lol: But I stupidly continued to put all my blood, flesh, time and money into getting it through an MOT.

·
Registered
15,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
U.G.L.Y. It ain't got no alabi...:

With the bodywork taken care of :lol: it was time for some fun:

1st show and shine (no, that's not the result in case you were wondering :lol: )

·
Registered
15,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

I then tickled that arse end down a tad:

I put some bumpers on and continued to rock out with it for a while as it was:

Then it became broked again:

So I stripped it a bit, fixed it a bit, and painted it a bit (check out the camber!):

·
Registered
15,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ended up with this:

Then drove it some more, broke it some more and changed it some more:

I was left with only one option... LOWER IT SOME MORE!:

It was literally on the floor so I had to change the front wheels over:

·
Registered
15,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Got an OFFICIAL Hoodride (R.I.P.) feature:

Felt like a bit of a change in it's look so began to change the lights, bumpers, wheels, colour etc:

Then things broke some more so it was time for a bit more fixing:

To be continued...

·
Registered
191 Posts
hi mate, i know this gets asked a lot for lowered cars, but could u let me know the tyre combination and the amount the front beam is narrowed. Also, if the front inner wings need any modification to fit the new narrowed beam.

cheers

steve

·
Registered
8,544 Posts
Nice one, I'm glad you started a thread.. Yer car was a bit of a late model inspiration when I was thinking of making mine a wrongun:D

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
I've liked this car since i first set eyes on it, even more so now with its shiny paint and europa bumpers. :cool:

I guess it reminds me of my bug a bit. I expect it will start to disintegrate quite rapidly once i start driving it daily!

I'm looking forward to seeing more progress and photos.

·
Registered
15,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hi mate, i know this gets asked a lot for lowered cars, but could u let me know the tyre combination and the amount the front beam is narrowed. Also, if the front inner wings need any modification to fit the new narrowed beam.

cheers

steve
Ok, from memory... Very early days it was 165 out back and 155 up front. Then it was the same 165 out back but with 145/65 (Smarts) up front. Then when the dropped spindles went on it was the same 165s again (who says camber wrecks tyres? ;) ) but had to switch to 155s up front. Now it's on 165 out back with 135s up front. :)

The beam's narrowed 4 inches with mods. Inner wings chopped and lip re-made up to the petrol tank surround. The surround itself had to be thinned off and rewelded slightly.

Nice one, I'm glad you started a thread.. Yer car was a bit of a late model inspiration when I was thinking of making mine a wrongun:D
Cool! :D As you can see, I made mine a wrongun and changed my mind. I'm loving the look of your car too matey.

I've liked this car since i first set eyes on it, even more so now with its shiny paint and europa bumpers. :cool:

I guess it reminds me of my bug a bit. I expect it will start to disintegrate quite rapidly once i start driving it daily!

I'm looking forward to seeing more progress and photos.
Thanks Charles. :D Mine was a polished turd and I should've known better. Oh well, we all make mistakes.

I expect yours is better than mine. :)

·
Registered
1,061 Posts

My son has just said why has that Beetle got no front wheel's:lol:

That just looks:cool:

What's happend to your Ghia?:)

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
Hey Tomothy :)

About time you got yourself a thread up and running. I'm liking the green :cool: Is the car on the road now then? Jim tells me your forever working on it but never driving it these days ;)

·
Registered
15,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My son has just said why has that Beetle got no front wheel's:lol:

That just looks:cool:

What's happend to your Ghia?:)
:lol: Nice!

NOTHING'S happened to the Ghia... that's the problem. :lol:

Now that I have a nice garage/workshop though, as soon as the Beetle has an MOT it's coming home.

Hey Tomothy :)

About time you got yourself a thread up and running. I'm liking the green :cool: Is the car on the road now then? Jim tells me your forever working on it but never driving it these days ;)
[Bob Marley]Ben-jammin' oooooh...[/Bob Marley]

I know! Been here about 6 and half years an never started a thread on my Beetle! :eek:

This car sticks to the road like a magnet... that's the wrong way up. Jim informs you correctly I'm afraid. The actual amount of hours spent on isn't that impressive of late though. Still need to build an engine for it ideally. :bandit:

·
Registered
832 Posts
Always been a fan of your car but im lovin the back to stock body, im just gutted someone beat me to detailed black stock steelies! How well do the trim rings fit? im going the same way on my 73 if it ever gets finnished...

·
Registered
15,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks dood and sorry. :D The trim rings fit flawlessly. They came with the car and can be seen in even the earliest photos. The only other time I've seen this exact type was on a poster of what appeared to be a completely stock '03 cabrio. So I think they might be a genuine option. They're nice quality and don't rust too. :)

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
ok - bit confused.....u pics show differing no plates.....guess the pan was foobared but just in case you need to remove pics?

·
Registered
582 Posts
The car looks really good now mate.

The paint makes it 100 times better.

just throw some running boards on that beotch and it'll be more awesome.

·
Registered
15,060 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It was on the M plate when I got despite it being confirmed a '71. The story is that it was used as a trade car of some sort, believed to be a courtesy/retal car. The paperwork describes it as being first registered in '74.

I wanted an age correct plate so that I could run black and silver plates without any probs so I applied for one through DVLA and that's what they gave me. :)

Thanks sandy63. Running boards both got pretty damaged in lowness related incidents. :crazy: I've still got them though so I might see if I can make use of them again when it's ready for them. :)

1 - 20 of 386 Posts