Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
but who or how was speed invented? thought all yous brilliant people might have some ideas :coffeecup
 

·
Porsche Buffer
Joined
·
11,692 Posts
I'm guessing by an illicit chemist

You could always tell him this:

The most widespread type of amphetamine on the street is a white powder called Amphetamine Sulphate. It's manufactured in illicit laboratories and then adulterated so the final product usually contains between 6% and 10% amphetamine. The other 90% can comprise of just about anything, from baking powder to laxatives. Amphetamine Sulphate costs between 5 and 10 pounds sterling a gram.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bootsy said:
I'm guessing by an illicit chemist

You could always tell him this:

The most widespread type of amphetamine on the street is a white powder called Amphetamine Sulphate. It's manufactured in illicit laboratories and then adulterated so the final product usually contains between 6% and 10% amphetamine. The other 90% can comprise of just about anything, from baking powder to laxatives. Amphetamine Sulphate costs between 5 and 10 pounds sterling a gram.
:crazy: yeh ok i asked for that didn't i:lol:

that's speed as in how fast you go like as in cars/planes etc etc
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,214 Posts
The Chinese invented the speedometer. In 1027, Lu Taolung presented the Emperor Jen Chung with a cart that could measure the distances it spanned by means of a mechanism with eight wheels and two moving arms. One arm struck a drum each time a "li" (about a third of a mile) was covered. Another rang a bell every 10 li.

Benjamin Franklin invented a simple odometer attached to his horse drawn carriage. The instrument was designed to measure distances by counting the rotations of the axles of the wagon. The device was calibrated to signal a bell every twenty rods (1 rod = 25.5 yards). Historians speculate that Franklin as the postmaster used his odometer to establish mile markers along his postal route.

Measuring speed wasn't much of an issue up until the arrival of steam trains in the early 1800s

Charles Babbage, an English mathematician, designed the first speedometer for railroads in the mid-1800s.

Arthur Pratt Warner was an inventor of great importance with over 100 patents on file, among them the automotive speedometer.

Nikola Tesla, the most famous scientist at the turn of the 20th Century, patented the first speedometer for cars.

The first automobile to be fitted with a speedometer was the curved-dash 1901 Oldsmobile.

In 1902, a speeding car in Hackensack spooked a workhorse towing a landscaper and a helper on a lawn mower. The landscaper was seriously hurt, his aide killed. The incident prompted a call to regulate the speed of automobiles.

Samuel Smith developed the first British speedometer in 1904.

As early as 1908, speedometers were available on cars if the customer could afford such a luxury. Overland was the first car to have a speedometer as standard equipment. Cadillac was second.

With increased traffic density the authorities began to set speed limits, which required the driver have a speedometer to obey the law. They began to become standard equipment around 1920.

After World War I, the Warner Instrument Company of Beloit, Wisconsin became the largest manufacturer of speedometers.

VDO developed the first speedometer for bicycles in 1938.

Germany's VDO developed the electrical speedometer in the 1950s

By the 1980s the electronic speedometer was developed and information could be presented via digital or bar graph style liquid crystal displays, including the head-up display that projects speedometer numbers onto the windscreen.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
466 Posts
It's a meaningless question. Speed is a measurement, not an invention.

And the chinese did not invent the odometer. It was the Romans about 1000 years earlier. Ask Adam Hart-Davis :)
 

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
Joined
·
26,458 Posts
Pyro said:
Speed is a function of time over distance and has always existed since the universe began, we just observe it.
Time
_____
Distance = Velocity

(anyone remember the Adam & Joe song?) :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,214 Posts
chrisreiki said:
It's a meaningless question. Speed is a measurement, not an invention.

And the chinese did not invent the odometer. It was the Romans about 1000 years earlier. Ask Adam Hart-Davis :)
Well, he just makes half of it up! ;)
 

·
snide twat
Joined
·
39,983 Posts
BeeBug said:
but who or how was speed invented? thought all yous brilliant people might have some ideas :coffeecup
it's not something that can be invented, it's like asking who invented height.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,609 Posts
What would be a valid question though would be who invented/set the units of distance and velocity measurement.


I personally think that nautical miles and knots are the best measurements. Something that actually relates to the earth.

(a nautical mile is 6076 feet. 1 minute of 1 degree of latitude is equal to 6076 feet :D )
 

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
Joined
·
26,458 Posts
Odin said:
Error!

Speed = Distance / Time :)
Damn, you are so right.

I was sitting here trying to think of the little ditty and I just couldn;t get it right.

Anyway, thank you - it's now stuck in my head. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,214 Posts
chrisreiki said:
It's at least half right then :incheek:
:lol: :lol: :lol: Absolutely mate. I think the Romans were more interested in distance than speed, but of course they were clever enough to work out an average speed, which is a sort of speedometer I suppose. Adam-Hart Davies :rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
prize goes to invalidusername :D that kept him happy. thankyou :D

n yes i know speed itself wasn't invented but you try explaining that to my son :tick:

Fickolata...............:lol: if only you'd of spaced the answer a bit further down the screen so i could of hidden it :incheek:

:D :hangloose
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,463 Posts
Use of the phrase 'speed' to describe the rate at which one maintains a quick, or fast, pace can be reliably traced back to the first time a freshly-sighted Adam spotted Eve. Unfortunately for Adam he displayed a certain excited 'pace' in front of the suddenly naked Eve. She was documented as stating: 'Less speed more haste Loverboy - it's all in my bloody hair!'

This first meeting also resulted in the commonly used 'wipe'.

True.
 
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Top