Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am just about to embark on rest of my 67 1500.

I have just purchased a set of Porsche Cup 2 alloys that I intend on running. How far can I narrow the beam without doing any body mods? The wheels are 7' at the front and 8 at the rear.

Air is an option for the suspension so I guess I will have/need dropped spindles also. I like the look of the tucjed in wheels but dont want the wheels to rub on the move or full drop.

Any ideas?

Many thanks!

·
Registered
15,060 Posts
That's a link pin beam on that car though, not ball joint. You can go narrower on them before having to butcher or completely remake the shock towers. Hard to tell the exact age on that one, but really early bugs (oval era) have a bit more room to play with too.

I doubt very much that he gets no tyre rubbing, especially at that height and there's a good chance that he's not running shocks either if it's in the states (is it in the states?).

·
Registered
15,060 Posts
Which beams are they? It'd take some very clever engineering to pull that off. :)

Also, I personally believe that some of the home-made beams about aren't as narrow as the owners make out. :tick:

·
Registered
15,060 Posts
Yeah I know of them. I think they're also referred to as "Tiddler's" beams but I could be wrong. They look like a damn nice piece of kit but according to their site, they do up to 4 inches and link pin only...

Deluxe Motorwerks

·
Registered
15,060 Posts
In the way that the actual manufacturers of normal airshocks will not condone them for use on the front of any vehicle. They are designed to aid the rear suspension of cars when towing.

When fitted to the front of a Beetle (with the existing suspension in place) they only give about 1.5-2 inches of lift. Some people put threaded bars through the beam instead of the torsion bars but this means that you are relying on the shocks alone and the strength of the shocktowers (which need to be extended if you actually want to lay low). It also causes issues with play from side to side.

I have heard from numerous people that the shocks leak air over time, particularly if they bottom out as there is no internal bump stop protecting the air sleeve.

The air connection onto some of the shocks is also rather flimsy. I don't fancy that coming off when I'm driving.

Also, if you do fit them to stock shock towers, then you may well have to clearance the trailing arms a bit too (you do with the AK setup).

·
Registered
321 Posts
Gee Bee, one thing to note, all people have opinions on things. Tomarse has opinions on my stuff pretty heavily but has never installed anything I produce nor has he ridden in a vehicle that has any of my stuff. Do a search on this guy, he bashes me throughout his 5000 posts. No idea why until he stated, well a freind had a problem, once in a while shite happenes, over here in the UK, its like gas on a fire. AIR RIDE was never put on any vehicle until the late 80's. Engineers had to RETRO fit certain things to find out what works and what does not. So by calling the (shock) manufacture and asking them, can this hold up the weight of a beetle or ghia, Of course not, they would say. They design the use for air assist, But we retro fitted it to work with a type 1 front end. Tomarse, do you see us using those shocks on the rear? nope. I could go on and on about this stuff but i wont. Gee Bee, a lot of people in the world have opinions, make sure you ask for facts to make things relative.

11 inches of lift compared to Tomarse's estimated 2"

You can install a 4 inch with no cutting on a ball joint beam and the wheels can fit. here is a pic of the beam.

Gee Bee, Listen to the facts, not what someone has heard. Rumors spread like wildfire when the right people are breathing on them. Any questions? [email protected]

·
Premium Member
5,983 Posts
At it again Tom. :rolleyes: :lol:

Tomarse said:
That's a link pin beam on that car though, not ball joint. You can go narrower on them before having to butcher or completely remake the shock towers.
Where have you got this idea from? There is less room to play with on a linkpin car. You can go 3" narrow on a balljoint beam without touching the towers or inner wings, but only 1.5" on a linkpin car.

·
Registered
15,060 Posts
:lol: Oh dear. Pete, don't flatter yourself, my 5000 posts have not all been about you!

As I've stated before, my concerns with the design were PRIOR to the example that you are referring to.

Is that 11 inches of lift with the torsion leaves secured in place?

A 4 inch narrowed ball joint beam DOES require modding to either the beam or the inner wings. You can clearly see in your own pic that the beam is modified. :confused: I'll upload some pictures later if you really want that shows that I had to modify right up to the box section around the pertrol tank.

Firedancer said:
Where have you got this idea from? There is less room to play with on a linkpin car. You can go 3" narrow on a balljoint beam without touching the towers or inner wings, but only 1.5" on a linkpin car.
Eh, that's contradicting itself. :confused:

Didn't Sam's old car need any modding at all?! Not even a tickle with the hammer? Seems odd when my 4 incher required so much.

Notice how I didn't say that all link pin cars had more room... only very early ones. I.e. those with an oval era tank. They still don't have loads of room to play with but I'm pretty sure there's a bit more. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,983 Posts
Tomarse said:
Eh, that's contradicting itself. :confused:
No it isn't. However the confusion might stem from your original post where you seem to state that you can go narrower on a linkpin car than a balljoint car before doing more mods (shock tower, inner wing etc):

Tomarse said:
That's a link pin beam on that car though, not ball joint. You can go narrower on them before having to butcher or completely remake the shock towers.
However on second read I think your post might just be badly worded. ;) :p

Sorry for the confusion.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts