Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I buy modified shock towers for a ball joint bug and do i need to mod the existing ones.

Also how narrow can i go without modifying the inner wings?

·
He doesn't fr*ggin' listen!
9,859 Posts
paulday said:
Can I buy modified shock towers for a ball joint bug and do i need to mod the existing ones.

Also how narrow can i go without modifying the inner wings?
You can go 3 3/4" without modifying the towers or inner wings. After that, you can go further still (up to about 4 inches) by clearancing the stock towers, but anything over 5 inches will mean that the shock mounts on the lower trailing arms are underneath the quarter panel so will shocks will sit at an angle pointing outwards if you use custom towers.

There are so many variations and ways of doing it, but be careful about buying custom made towers which are not strong enough for the job.

I can't recommend anyone who does BJ towers, I'm afraid. I build my own beams.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was hoping to go 4 inches, just need to suss out the best way of doing it, everyone seems to do it differently.

·
Registered
9,657 Posts
custom shock towers ?

Is that like when you draw a shape on a piece of paper then get someone to use a plasma cutter to cut some *custom shock towers* out of some 10mm pig iron...... on his lunch break ?? :eek:

For the record.... im taking the piss generally here.... dont take offence Larry - 'tis not aimed at you ;)

·
9,859 Posts
paddy311 said:
custom shock towers ?

Is that like when you draw a shape on a piece of paper then get someone to use a plasma cutter to cut some *custom shock towers* out of some 10mm pig iron...... on his lunch break ?? :eek:

For the record.... im taking the piss generally here.... dont take offence Larry - 'tis not aimed at you ;)
;)

You're not far wrong from some of the stuff I've seen out there!

·
Registered
15,060 Posts
I don't see why everyone's so shit scared of bit of inner wing modding though. Unless of course it's a mint example everywhere else. Inner wings are a piece of piss to return to stock should an anal person in the future decide to do so. :tick:

·
9,859 Posts
Tomarse said:
I don't see why everyone's so shit scared of bit of inner wing modding though. Unless of course it's a mint example everywhere else. Inner wings are a piece of piss to return to stock should an anal person in the future decide to do so. :tick:
I'm not shit scared of inner wing modification.

I maninly deal with pre '57 cars, and with their unique pressings on the inner front quarters, and the fact that you cannot buy repro Oval front quarters, apart from NOS, which will set you back around £600 each side.. its quite common sense to make custom towers. ;)

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
da' Fandango said:
You can go 3 3/4" without modifying the towers or inner wings. After that, you can go further still (up to about 4 inches) by clearancing the stock towers, but anything over 5 inches will mean that the shock mounts on the lower trailing arms are underneath the quarter panel so will shocks will sit at an angle pointing outwards if you use custom towers.

There are so many variations and ways of doing it, but be careful about buying custom made towers which are not strong enough for the job.

I can't recommend anyone who does BJ towers, I'm afraid. I build my own beams.
Paul, is this bug or Ghia? I've just measured my '74 Ghia up for beam narrowing and I think 3" may be the max before tower/wing clearance is required. When the job's done I'll post and let y'all know

·
9,859 Posts
RUSS74GHIA said:
Paul, is this bug or Ghia? I've just measured my '74 Ghia up for beam narrowing and I think 3" may be the max before tower/wing clearance is required. When the job's done I'll post and let y'all know
He posted that its for a balljoint bug in his first post. Ghias are different.

·
Registered
15,060 Posts
da' Fandango said:
I'm not shit scared of inner wing modification.

I maninly deal with pre '57 cars, and with their unique pressings on the inner front quarters, and the fact that you cannot buy repro Oval front quarters, apart from NOS, which will set you back around £600 each side.. its quite common sense to make custom towers. ;)
Sorry if I offended dood, my comment wasn't aimed directly at you. :hug: The example you give is exactly the time that putting the extra effort into making different towers is a wise move. ;)

What I mean though is a majority of bugs, late ones particularly (don't get me wrong, I love late bugs), have already been butchered or patched up to such a degree that it seems silly to put in so much extra work on an out of sight area.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yep its for a 67 bug (wide 5). Not a case of being scared to chop it about believe me. Its no mint example, all I want is the quickest method to get it back on the road again.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts