Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive just fitted up my new CB 2" narrowed beam, (from speedshop) It came with the narrowed tie rods to match, but ive just got to fitting the steering box + tie rods up and the long one doesnt seem long enough?

Even with the tie rod ends screwed right out I cant get anywhere near full lock right, and on full lock left it totally binds up as it tries to turn back on itself.

I have the steering box in the position marked on the beam but Im somewhat confussed as to why this is happening, all the torsion arms are fully seated on the beam as well.

any ideas would be great!

Cheers

Tom

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
You sure the box is in the right place, regardless of the markings?

·
Registered
15,051 Posts
Compare the new rods to the old ones. They should be just under an inch shorter.

Also, might be worth checking that they are for the correct year of car, i.e. for use with/without a steering damper.

·
Registered
30,761 Posts
Remove the rods and turn the steering wheel full lock left and then full lock right while counting the revolutions,
then count back half way and re-fit your rods with both road wheels roughly pointing straight ahead,
try not to disturb anything until it's all together, then get it tracked professionally.
Worked for me ;)

Justin.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
right,

I measured up the new tie-rods and the shorter one is just under 1" shorter than my old stock one, but the longer one is just over 2" shorter than stock?

this is obviously why its not working, just wondering if anyone else has had this problem?

seems a bit odd to supply a kit that doesnt actually fit!?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts