Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need a new daily to get to work and back, ive got £4000 to spend a wanted a vw. Obviously there is a golf, polo, lupo, etc etc. Just wanted advice on these different cars, your own experiences. What has served you well? what to keep away from?

any help would be appreciated!

Matt

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
not a huge fan of the new beetle im afraid, unless its been lowered alloys etc

·
Registered
13,136 Posts
anything :lol:

you could get a pukka mk1 golf thats been `done up`

you could get a mk2 golf thats been `done up`

you could get a reasonable 80k miles mk3 golf GTi or a VR6

you could get a cool older passat, the ones with no grill, slam it put some bling wheels on it and still have change, you could probably get a reasonable 98> passat, the new shape ones.

you might scrape a good vw caravelle if you want a van, or a T25

mk4 golf im not sure if you`d get much good?

lupos are tiny.

currently i run a 1.8 mk 3 golf driver,1994, single port injection, i bought it for £750 82k full service history, few tiny rust bubbles, nice interior, 35-40mpg on a run i stuck some 17s on it for £250 off ebay, the only thing that was broken when i got it was the sun roof, apparently a common, the 2 cast alloy brackets which move the sunroof, one has broken apparent sometihng like 60 quid a pair from vw, but the thing doesnt leak so im not bothered. Servicing it costs practically nothing and its simple enough to do yourself. old enough to only be as complicated as singleport injection, yet modern enough to feel new in my opinion.

·
Registered
21,202 Posts
Lupos are boring to drive. I had a 52 reg SEAT Arosa from new which is basically a Lupo with a different front end and SEAT badges. The 1.0 litre is very economical (I used to get 50 miles to the gallon!) but it's just soooooo dull. I'd imagine the GTi version is a lot more fun though.

I currently have a 1986 BMW 320i and it's the most fun daily I've ever had! 6 cylinder, 2 litre engine, rear wheel drive, doddle to service and only cost £250! :D

·
Registered
5,374 Posts
gearyboy said:
Need a new daily to get to work and back, ive got £4000 to spend a wanted a vw. Obviously there is a golf, polo, lupo, etc etc. Just wanted advice on these different cars, your own experiences. What has served you well? what to keep away from?

any help would be appreciated!

Matt
I'd go for a TDI golf, bora or passat, as new as possible as money allows, don't worry about high miles if it has FSH.

I have a Passat TDi Estate as a daily and I've done 21000 miles in the last year without a problem.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
cheers guys, il start looking!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts