Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving home from work tonight and the beetle started playing up...

It had been fine for about half an hour maybe a bit longer and also drove to work this morning fine however this evening the gears went really stiff, and it was almost impossible to change gear.
When it was in gear and you pushed the clutch right to the floor the whole car shook and vibrated, but when you let off slightly it stopped doing it.

When the car is not running then the gears are easier to select, but with the engine running the gears are still spinning as it will not go into gear (apart from 2nd as it has damaged syncro so it crunches into 2nd).

Any ideas? The clutch is about a year old, and the cars not had any indications prior to this with any gearbox/clutch problems.
The car has a Bugpack T-Shifter fitted I did remove this and re-fit it but it did not seem to make any difference (was only an idea).

All help greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
18,482 Posts
Does sound like clutch.

Do this test:

Engine idling.
Clutch to floor.
Very, very slowly, engage Reverse gear.

If it grinds, the clutch is dragging/fooked and there is
probably nothing wrong with the gbox.

My guess is you will be pulling the engine to find out
what happened to it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Clutch has a good bite, and it doesnt really crunch into reverse more of a clonking noise. Going to try and adjust the cable and check all that this morning and see what the situation is... Having covered hardly any mileage I cant see how the clutch has gone already it was fitted correctly too.

When the clutch is not fully engaged you can select all gears, but when it is right on the floor to the very furthest point that is when it grinds and keeps the gears spinning...

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Turns out that the previous owner must have had some problems with the clutch or clutch cable as it had a few spacers fitted to the cable. So after some cable modifications and adjustment, all seems to be well again... :)

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
JuiceBug said:
Turns out that the previous owner must have had some problems with the clutch or clutch cable as it had a few spacers fitted to the cable. So after some cable modifications and adjustment, all seems to be well again... :)
Had exactly the same problem, with the same fix. Adjusted the cable lasted about 2 weeks and then snapped :( So it might be worth having a spare cable in your tool box, just in case?!?!?!!

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
I had the exact same problem with my 68 bug adjusted the cable and it worked for about 2 weeks then the one of the forks snapped off on the clutch operating shaft and the clutch release bearing disintgrated with a big bang.

bugger! :mad:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts