Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all got have a 1971 1200 bug running a 1600 engine with a pair of ICT carbs and she over heats when ever I go over 45 mph. At 45 mph she will run at constant 105°c on my gauge but increase the speed to 50 mph the temperature will slowly go up to 130°c and my save my bug dipstick probe sets off the oil light. Of cause the faster I go the quicker the oil temperature increases. Now once the save my bug sets of the oil light and I pull over and allow the engine to tick over at idle the temperature falls back to 94°c in ten minutes.
all the tinwear and rubber seals are in place, I’ve tried setting the timing at 28 to 32 BTDC but that’s made no difference at all. I’m using a SVDA distributor.
I also have 10psi oil pressure per 1000 rpm even at 130°c but I’m using 20w50 oil witch came with the car. Also I have a solid engine lid and the larger fan with the dog house fan shroud, I have two other friends using a solid deck lid as well on there 1600 bugs and they have no problems at all.

any ideas on what the problem could possibly be?
Thanks for any advice that you lot have 👍

·
Registered
4,274 Posts
Check the fan for debris - I once repaired a 1600TP in a Bay which had failed due to blue wipe left in the engine bay and which had wrapped itself around the inside of the fan. Also check that your firewall board is firmly secured and that the flaps/thermostat if fitted work as they should. The solid deck lid should not be a problem if driving at sensible speeds.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Flaps are fitted and working and fan is clear mate just had a look 👍

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I will have a look at them tomorrow mate.
juat in case anyone needs to know I’m running 57idle jets and 140 main jets in my carbs

·
Registered
403 Posts
we have 1200 lid with same set up no issues, but jets are different to yours also is gauge sender a matched pair..? try using a reference to check sender is accurate we have a meat probe we stick in dipstick worth a punt for a fiver off amazon.

·
Highly Respected Member
13,559 Posts
How close is the tar board to the fan entry ?
No holes or gaps in the tinware anywhere ? Missing hoses etc ?
All the doghouse tinware fitted including the scoop that goes through the tin and all the rubber seals around that in place ?
Spark plug lead rubber tinware seals fitted and pushed home to seal round the tin ?
Fan belt correctly tensioned ?
Double check every fan blade is clear.

If all the above is OK, you might possibly need larger main jets ?

Dave.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
we have 1200 lid with same set up no issues, but jets are different to yours also is gauge sender a matched pair..? try using a reference to check sender is accurate we have a meat probe we stick in dipstick worth a punt for a fiver off amazon.
Just I’ve also used a calibrated probe which I’ve put down the dipstick tube and gauge reading is only 5°C over the probe

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How close is the tar board to the fan entry ?
No holes or gaps in the tinware anywhere ? Missing hoses etc ?
All the doghouse tinware fitted including the scoop that goes through the tin and all the rubber seals around that in place ?
Spark plug lead rubber tinware seals fitted and pushed home to seal round the tin ?
Fan belt correctly tensioned ?
Double check every fan blade is clear.

If all the above is OK, you might possibly need larger main jets ?

Dave.
All tinwear is in place and bellows and fan shroud flaps working. I will check the fan blades and spark plug wire caps tomorrow when I get back from work.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will also try 10w30 oil instead of the 10w 50 which I’m using at the moment cause I’ve just read somewhere that might be causing the problems but I’m not to shaw how that could at the moment

·
Registered
138 Posts
Few more things in addition to those above. Are your carbs properly synced? Valve lash properly adjusted?

When you fitted all the tinwear, did you ensure to fit the foam strip that goes up and over the oil cooler in the fanhousing? If this isn't in place, it allows a lot of the air from the fan to go around the cooler rather than through it so it can make a significant difference.

It could be that that thick ass oil is bypassing the cooler so 10w30 will make a difference but that won't be the only issue, there is something else going on and you need to find out what it is. For reference, I run a 2276 48IDA motor in my Split Panel van and my oil temps stay pretty much a 225°f in the cruise. I run fully synthetic 10w30 and had the motor built for that but other things, such as the foam up and over the stock cooler make a huge difference - you'd be surprised.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Few more things in addition to those above. Are your carbs properly synced? Valve lash properly adjusted?

When you fitted all the tinwear, did you ensure to fit the foam strip that goes up and over the oil cooler in the fanhousing? If this isn't in place, it allows a lot of the air from the fan to go around the cooler rather than through it so it can make a significant difference.

It could be that that thick ass oil is bypassing the cooler so 10w30 will make a difference but that won't be the only issue, there is something else going on and you need to find out what it is. For reference, I run a 2276 48IDA motor in my Split Panel van and my oil temps stay pretty much a 225°f in the cruise. I run fully synthetic 10w30 and had the motor built for that but other things, such as the foam up and over the stock cooler make a huge difference - you'd be surprised.
all tinwear, seals and so on are all in place. I’ve set the valve clearance to .004” as well

·
Registered
138 Posts
So that piece of foam on the stock cooler is in place? You can set the valves to loose zero. Another thing, you don't by any chance have a heavy duty spring in the oil pressure relief bore do you?

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes the form strip that goes around the cooler is there, I have now idea if I have a heavy duty spring or not. I was just reading that I should of set my valves to .006” not .004” is that going to be a problem in the future ?

·
Registered
979 Posts
Your cooler fins might be blocked with oily/dusty crud rendering it inefficient at cooling the oil

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sounds like you’re running too lean to me, try adjusting mixture to get more fuel in.

·
Registered
403 Posts
If helps we have 145 mains, f6, 55 idles try this have you a pic of set up....

Sent from my Nokia 3.4 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts