Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:eek::(

bought from the states, build on the QT at the minute, just wondering if anyof you guys had any thoughts

obvioulsy imenraged

spent over a week installing it buy the time i got a decent exhuast, orded gauges rewired, re plumbed the fuel lines, quite enlightening to see how doing something right takes friggin ages

in short 2276 scat ,c45, 42X37 steve tims heads level 2, 9.5 comp ratio, speedshop sidewinder 1 5/8( a work of art itself.) NOS dell 45s treble checked for blocked jets, there wernt any.

put oil in and turned over with coil lead off until i got some oil pressure

started it, ran at fast idle for about a minute ( this had been started by the builder before i bought it so i wasnt nreaking in the cam)

ran about 2 twce more for around a minute each time

noticed the exhaust was very hot very quick, almost glowing!, so stoped to chek timeing( staticly timed 009)
started again and it cut out, like a stall,, but it had seized, no movement at all, even with a spanner on the crank pulley nut

drained the oil and it has very fine particles in it, like metallic paint

i plan to strip it, but im not doing anything until i make some headway with the builder:mad:

keen to hear any ideas

·
Registered
5,767 Posts
put oil in and turned over with coil lead off until i got some oil pressure
Shit dude, that doesn't sound good:( As 63Ragtop said, don't go pulling it apart until you've spoken to the builder about returning it.

You say you turned it over until you got 'some' oil pressure, can you remember how much? did you prime up the oil pipes and filter before turning it over?

·
Superhero
5,650 Posts
Is it an aluminium case?
If so, check that it is not the front pulley knarling up in between itself and the case.

Rich
I've had this problem. But it didn't cause symptoms of seizure, worth a check though.
But it sounds like bearings and if so then the builder should replace it (but like said above, don't strip it)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
c45! thats the tip of the iceberg:rolleyes:
cast flywheel
it had 37X35 valves, but i had the heads changed, it wa a bargin, i guess ye get what ye paid for:mad:

yer sidewider fitted a treat, at least something was good:lol:

·
Shitstormer
1,434 Posts
At least you admitted it. There's a lot of people out there and on here that were giving it a big un about how much cheaper they were getting their big motor and plenty got burned but they won't publicise the fact.The funniest one was a turnkey turbo motor from Serrano.Won't mention any names but the customer kept phoning me trying to glean information about how to tune his bargainous engine-it lasted 8 miles and all he had left was a spark plug wire and a sump plate

·
Registered
224 Posts
Whats wrong with a C45?

·
Shitstormer
1,434 Posts
Nothing wrong with the cam but usually indicative of a cock end engine builder who doesn't know any better and/or white collar parts sales team with similar intellectual abilities. Good cam for the formula VEE 1300 SP

·
Registered
224 Posts
ok i see, maybe this shouldn't be the time then that the engine that i built myself 1915cc has a C45??? I really pleased with driveability and power of motor....
http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=402048 - Here's power curve a bit measly (125hp) against richards turbo motor :(

·
Shitstormer
1,434 Posts
Like I said nothing wrong with the cam just that all the cock up engines seem to be fitted with that cam. Personally I don't use any cam that is designed for 1.1 rockers as the rockers are nasty

·
Registered
224 Posts
So you think this is ok for my application? I am using Scat 1.25:1 rockers. My torque curve has nice driveability i think. Do you agree paul? Most of that engine came from your shop :)

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
i know I know, what ive learned over the last few weeks is yeah stuffs cheap in the states , but in future ill be buying british, , ye get what ye pay for

the seller has now u turned on the refund despite telling me twice i would get it, so maybe have a full photographic teardown on here soon, see if he comes good in the end??

just thinking out loud

the c45, according to the cam chart on your site Paul, with 1:4 rockers isnt a kick in the arse off an fk8( i know its not that simple but....)

the engine builder fitted for me a set of scat 1:4s on a set of steve tims heads,I know the CB heads need longer valves for an fk8 and rockers, the point

would there be enough lift in the valves?, could that be part of the problem?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
see what you can salvage jester from what youve got then build another.lots of alternatives to suit your driving of the car.ask lots of questions to the right people and remember if it sounds to good to be true then it probably is;) to get real power it costs real money:)

1 - 20 of 125 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.