Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
27,162 Posts
Why do you say they must be arced and not TIG welded? (TIG is better)

The font is almost impossible to read on the main page btw. :)

·
Premium Member
5,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
automanics said:
Why do you say they must be arced and not TIG welded? (TIG is better)
It made perfect sense when it was explained to me, but that was well over a year ago so my memory of the conversation has faded somewhat. It was something to do with how the spindles were originally made, and ARC welding not adversely affecting the strength of the original metal. I think he said that MIG or TIG might have made the original metal around the weld brittle.

Best take some old spindles along to a pro welder if you want to know more, thats all I can remember. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
5,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Rabidbaby said:
Seconded. Cool font for main titles but near impossible to read on smaller titles etc. :)
airsouls.com has been up for years, and hundreds (or more?) of people have read the how-tos and only now someone mentions the font! :lol: To be honest I have noticed that the how-to page is looking a little overwhelming now with such a large amount of that font. I have a plan. ;)

Thanks for mentioning it you two, I'm always glad of feedback. :)

·
Premium Member
5,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bad65 said:
cool nice job seth next time you need some welding done come and see me :)
if your cars higher does that mean i will be able to see it when im reversing :incheek:
Sorry Graham, those spindles were already on when you reversed into me. :lol: I've had them on for well over a year. Maybe eventually I'll get high enough so that you can reverse under me. ;)

I'll definitely give you a shout the next time I need some professional welding done. I didn't even know you when I made these spindles though.

·
Premium Member
27,162 Posts
FireDancer said:
It made perfect sense when it was explained to me, but that was well over a year ago so my memory of the conversation has faded somewhat. It was something to do with how the spindles were originally made, and ARC welding not adversely affecting the strength of the original metal. I think he said that MIG or TIG might have made the original metal around the weld brittle.

Best take some old spindles along to a pro welder if you want to know more, thats all I can remember. :rolleyes:
I am a pro welder and the statement on your site is wrong, otherwise 6000bhp top fuel cars would be ARC welded, (it's illegal to do so) think about it! :)

·
Premium Member
5,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
automanics said:
I am a pro welder and the statement on your site is wrong, otherwise 6000bhp top fuel cars would be ARC welded, (it's illegal to do so) think about it! :)
Last time I looked they weren't made out of cast lumps of steel welded together.

·
Premium Member
27,162 Posts
FireDancer said:
Last time I looked they weren't made out of cast lumps of steel welded together.
The strength of the weld is the same, not knocking what you're doing, didn't think you'd want to be giving out duff advice!

·
Premium Member
5,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
automanics said:
The strength of the weld is the same, not knocking what you're doing, didn't think you'd want to be giving out duff advice!
I don't think the strength of the weld was the issue, it was how it affected the strength of the pieces being joined. Naturally I don't want to be giving out duff advice, however I'm still not convinced the advice I was given was duff. I'll do some research on the matter and see if I can find out some more.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Once again another excellent "how to" Seth :)

Much appreciated, the amount of effort you put into them so us mere mortals can emulate your ideas!

Cheers buddy :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts