Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday, I saw a new Beetle on the road and it stood out, as I realised I very rarely see one. New Mini's and Fiat 500's are ten a penny, I see lots of them on a daily basis, but not so the Beetle.

Where are they?
Have they become a weekend car?
Has the scrap man or trade in deals accounted for them?
Wasn't there that many sold in the first place?
Have the people of the North West had enough of them and palmed them off to other regions?

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
580 Posts
still got out 2002 plate 1.9tdi beetle,20 years and 235000 miles later,still jump in it and go any where,have noticed in the last couple of years other new beetles have started to wave:cool:

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
The first of the newbies are now 24yr old so an old car and not worth a lot. The fiats and minis were a lot cheaper too when new so more common. I still see plenty of newbies around, but minis and fiats defo more common.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Car Wheel Volkswagen new beetle Vehicle

I still daily my 90k miles 03 tdi, it’s a great car and addition to my 72 bug, it gets used for weekends away and tip runs, I always wonder what the pinging noise is (low fuel) as it so good on fuel it lasts weeks. I do hope it lasts me another 20 years, but will never have the buzz of the 72

·
VZ Staff
24,145 Posts
I really like the new new ones...but yeah, few and far between.

·
VZ Staff
24,145 Posts
I am starting to like them more & more, I might even chance one , if the right one came along ;)
They look 'harder'...if you know what I mean.

·
Premium Member
44,481 Posts
I think the issue with the newbie is, and I'm trying to remove sentiment and bias from this assessment, they were never good cars to start with.

Being good does not prevent a car being sought after, loved or revered, (eventually), however this is generally due to historical significance or character - the newbie in my opinion has neither.

It was born from the worst bits of Mk3 and Mk4 Golf platforms, built to a profit margin, with acres of below par, cheap and nasty plastics and sent out the door with a very poor range of engines which lacked power or economy in any appealing combination (I'm thinking petrols here, diesels.... meh) and with very poor rust prevention.

Added to this, they were conceived and built at t a time in the early noughties when VW quality took a serious nose dive - Mk5 Golf vs Mk4, T5 Transporter vs T4 etc, etc so the cards were ultimately stacked against them.

Other than the shape, which especially in Mk1 format I think they absolutely nailed, they have no redeeming features. There weren't fun, fast, cheap, well built, high quality, long lasting or characterful. Shape aside, they were just dull, run-of-the-mill, below average disposable cars.

As I say, my thoughts are with bias, brand loyalty and sentiment removed.

On this basis, the modest numbers produced, rust, poor mechanical reliability and general low desirability has seen numbers diminish via the various routes highlighted in the OP.

FWD (only way it would've made it to production) meant it was never going to be on the same playing field as the Mini or Fiat 500 etc.

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I really like the new new ones.
I'm with you on that. They look lower, wider and altogether more beefy.*

*Technical car term.😁

I think the issue with the newbie is, and I'm trying to remove sentiment and bias from this assessment, they were never good cars to start with.

Being good does not prevent a car being sought after, loved or revered, (eventually), however this is generally due to historical significance or character - the newbie in my opinion has neither.

It was born from the worst bits of Mk3 and Mk4 Golf platforms, built to a profit margin, with acres of below par, cheap and nasty plastics and sent out the door a very poor range of engines which lacked power or economy in any appealing combination (I'm thinking petrols here, diesels.... meh) and with very poor rust prevention.

Added to this, they were conceived and built at t a time in the early naughties when VW quality took a serious nose dive - Mk5 Golf vs Mk4, T5 Transporter vs T4 etc, etc so the cars were ultimately stacked against them.

Other than the shape, which especially in Mk1 format I think they absolutely nailed, they have no redeeming features. There weren't fun, fast, cheap, well built, high quality, long lasting or characterful. Shape aside, they were just dull, run-of-the-mill, below average disposable cars.

As I say, my thoughts are with bias, brand loyalty and sentiment removed.

On this basis, the modest numbers produced, rust, poor mechanical reliability and general low desirability has seen numbers diminish via the various routes highlighted in the OP.

FWD (only way it would've made it to production) meant it was never going to be on the same playing field as the Mini or Fiat 500 etc.
Scrapyard then.👍

·
Premium Member
15,810 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After posting this, I went out, got 500m up the road, waited at a set of traffic lights and an old orange (my favourite colour), 70's Beetle drove past.🙂

·
Administrator
167,168 Posts
Now that is cool!.

Running it would surely do it good?

Although I get the dilema between use and ultra low miles on a unique car like that.

LHD IIRC?
Yeah, I imported it from North America in 1997 - a full year before they were released in Europe.

And yeah, it would probably benefit from being used. :)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts