Volkszone Forum banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi we have Mk1 oval, Mk2 cab and a Mk3 TDI . My daughter looked for over a year for the spec of the Mk3 . White with a black roof ,rear spoiler, alloys and with the extra gauges and black dash. To be fair it’s a lovely modern car with plenty of room unlike the Mk2 cab. I love the Mk2 mind and in my opinion one of the best looking cabriolets out there. Most are ugly with the roof down or with the roof up.

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I've never been a fan of the new beetle. Mainly because it made searching for parts for an aircooled beetle 10000% harder, but also because they look like a child's toy. That said, modern cars are so uninspiring that they were top of my list when I last looked for a daily driver. As LT says, the engines available are deeply uninspiring (I'd only want a 1.9tdi, 1.8T or an RSI) and that left pretty much nothing for sale when I looked.

I reckon the new new beetle looks a lot more like an aircooled beetle in profile. The new beetle was just 2 arcs of a circle which was a ridiculous design concept really if they wanted to sell lots of them.

Maybe they'll make a barebones cross between the Up and ID - small, rear engine, minimal electronic toys. I still wouldn't be able to afford it, but it'd be a proper modern beetle.

·
Registered
12,332 Posts
I had a 2003 Tdi one for a while. I really liked it and I even raced it with some success too.

I got rid of it in the end because it was just a bit too small and didn't have any towing capacity but I put almost 100k miles on it (it had 160,000 when I sold it) and it was always very reliable.

But it had a fair bit of rust and I had to do a bit of welding to get it through its MOT. Maybe that's why you don't see them so much anymore - because they do rust.

·
Registered
13,244 Posts
I've got a tdi cab as a daily. I quite like it. It was cheap and local and much prefer it to the touran it replaced (even if that was 4 years newer). Does the job and is reliable, cheaper tax and better mpg than touran too. The kids love it in the summer with the roof down. Where they're at now is probably comparative age and cost to what aircooled were back in the day. They're still just a cheap modernish car so repairs often outweigh value especially sills and the ease of new cars on finance of £25 a week deals fewer people are interested in repairing them. I see a few 1st gen about but definitely a lot less than 2-3 years ago.

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
There used to be a red LHD one round here (St Helens), on an 'R' plate, so a very early one in the UK. Not seen it for a while (or if I have, I've not registered that I have), seemed to be getting progressively more 'pink' as the paint faded. There are 2 blue ones parked up on a driveway 2 mins walk from mine. Not moved since lockdown as far as I can see. Don't look in bad condition, but the rear one is on flat tyres and is blocking the other one in. Shame, but I have no inclination to 'rescue' them.... Now the mk1 Golf GTi that's 2 mins from here, I might try again to save, but the owner is 'going to get round to restoring it' every time I knock...

·
Registered
4,713 Posts
I found one yesterday. A neighbour of mine showed me his garage, where he has a v8 jeep cherokee that he has unpicked the body from so it is just a running (and driving) floorpan. Next to it is a new beetle that he is going to gut and then the top of it is going onto the jeep.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had a 2003 Tdi one for a while. I really liked it and I even raced it with some success too.

I got rid of it in the end because it was just a bit too small and didn't have any towing capacity but I put almost 100k miles on it (it had 160,000 when I sold it) and it was always very reliable.

But it had a fair bit of rust and I had to do a bit of welding to get it through its MOT. Maybe that's why you don't see them so much anymore - because they do rust.
I’m not surprised the TDI goes like stink, it is the sport with the boost gauges. My son had a Boxster and the Beetle was a lot more fun to drive.

·
Wannabe Chat Slut
1,556 Posts
I really like ours. Only 25k miles from new. The engine is not good but it’s adequate and has been ultra reliable and lots of fun when the sun is out.

Wheel Tire Car Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
19,236 Posts
I have 4 of them so I see at least 3 of them every day (the 4th is at my mum’s place).

They are a bit of a marmite car. None of mine are rusty though and tbh the ones that do have some rust in the sills are 15 plus years old so it’s not particularly surprising tbh.

·
Premium Member
1,116 Posts
There are 2 blue ones parked up on a driveway 2 mins walk from mine. Not moved since lockdown as far as I can see. Don't look in bad condition, but the rear one is on flat tyres and is blocking the other one in. Shame, but I have no inclination to 'rescue' them....
Well, out for a walk last night with the present Mrs BBB, and the two blue 'new' beetles have gone.... current location unknown. They have been replaced by a cream mk1 golf with a white roof and some very wide (4"?) white arches. Looks good IMHO. Also there is a more modern VW - Golf/Polo, didn't really pay it much attention... my gaze drawn by the cool looking mk1....

·
Premium Member
5,017 Posts
Totally agree, more like a sports car. I’d a run in a nicely specced diesel sport a while back, very nippy and I’d happily daily one. Have always thought about a mk1 18t or v5 sport though.
Get anything with the 18t BAM engine and tune it to 300hp for smiles per hour.
Takes the sting out of the extortionate road tax.

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
Get anything with the 18t BAM engine and tune it to 300hp for smiles per hour.
Takes the sting out of the extortionate road tax.
Totally agree, my daily is a 180bhp 18t😎 which is why I’d like a bug with one and a remap. Total sleeper!
Notice that sill rot seems common in the earlier newbies now, mate has a facelift/ mk2 one and had to have his sorted for mot.

Reactions: Hoosier
21 - 40 of 50 Posts