Volkszone Forum banner
41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
19,236 Posts
If you have a 1.9PD engine in your collection, they react well to a remap too.
Yep the cream one and the black one are both 1.9TDis. The black one isn’t a PD but the cream one is. I keep meaning to get it remapped as it’s awfully slow 😂 and it’s the one I use the most…. the black one has already been done.

·
Registered
4,575 Posts
I've had 14 of them from a 2000 model to 2016 model, my obsession started in 2003 when I bought a 1.6, that was quickly traded for the green X reg 2.0 Shamrockez has now (I sold it to her a couple of years ago as it was sat doing nothing). Tbh I bought a NB as an Aircooled wasn't practical at the time and I wanted a Beetle.

I agree rust is a real issue on them, in the sills mainly. The 06 on facelift cars tend to be slightly better built than the earlier ones, but seem to rot even worse in the sills.

The best of the bunch by far is the 1.8T followed by the V5, the TDI is good but stupid ULEZ's means it isnt worth buying one in many parts of the country anymore. I still have an 07 1.8T, it's our very second car, in the last 8mths it's done about 400 miles, partly because it's crap on fuel and we have an EV that costs very little to run with home charging, and partly because it's 15yrs old now.

The 12up is a much 'better' car than the earlier ones, modern engines, tech and handling, but less character, although the 2016 2.0tsi Cab I had was awesome, and probably my favourite of the lot, followed by the 1.8T I have now. But the 12ups sold even worse than the NB in the UK, so there's even less of them about. Part the reason I think the NB didn't do well is, apart from the early days, VW's advertising of them was very poor, whereas the Mini had an excellent advertising campaign that made the cars cool and desirable.

I don't see half as many around anymore, and the scene we had around them back in the early/mid 00's has died out, but likewise I dont see many mk1 BMW Minis either. They are just old cars now, they rust and suffer with electrical issues, couple that to the fact most here in the UK were 1.6's, which are prone to terminal engine failure, means they are slowly disappearing. I also think 00's cars in general will be the ones that disappear the most as EV's get pushed more and more, as they are too new to be classics but too old to be allowed into many existing and new ULEZ's so won't be worth saving. It's a weird time for cars of that era.

Reactions: Jim

·
Registered
3,740 Posts
I've had 14 of them from a 2000 model to 2016 model, my obsession started in 2003 when I bought a 1.6, that was quickly traded for the green X reg 2.0 Shamrockez has now (I sold it to her a couple of years ago as it was sat doing nothing). Tbh I bought a NB as an Aircooled wasn't practical at the time and I wanted a Beetle.

I agree rust is a real issue on them, in the sills mainly. The 06 on facelift cars tend to be slightly better built than the earlier ones, but seem to rot even worse in the sills.

The best of the bunch by far is the 1.8T followed by the V5, the TDI is good but stupid ULEZ's means it isnt worth buying one in many parts of the country anymore. I still have an 07 1.8T, it's our very second car, in the last 8mths it's done about 400 miles, partly because it's crap on fuel and we have an EV that costs very little to run with home charging, and partly because it's 15yrs old now.

The 12up is a much 'better' car than the earlier ones, modern engines, tech and handling, but less character, although the 2016 2.0tsi Cab I had was awesome, and probably my favourite of the lot, followed by the 1.8T I have now. But the 12ups sold even worse than the NB in the UK, so there's even less of them about. Part the reason I think the NB didn't do well is, apart from the early days, VW's advertising of them was very poor, whereas the Mini had an excellent advertising campaign that made the cars cool and desirable.

I don't see half as many around anymore, and the scene we had around them back in the early/mid 00's has died out, but likewise I dont see many mk1 BMW Minis either. They are just old cars now, they rust and suffer with electrical issues, couple that to the fact most here in the UK were 1.6's, which are prone to terminal engine failure, means they are slowly disappearing. I also think 00's cars in general will be the ones that disappear the most as EV's get pushed more and more, as they are too new to be classics but too old to be allowed into many existing and new ULEZ's so won't be worth saving. It's a weird time for cars of that era.
The mini was a lot cheaper too when new so were always more common. That era of cars were well built but worthless really at the mo, I’m sure some bargains out there.

·
Registered
7 Posts
We have owned our 'newbie' for the last 14yrs and it's still used daily. It's a 2000, 2.0 litre petrol and I regularly remove the inlet pipes that recycle the engine case/oil vapours (and feed them to the throttle body). I have learnt that keeping the afore mention plastic/rubber pipes clean prevents the spark plugs from fouling up (at one point I was replacing a set of plugs every 3 months and those 3 electrode NGK plugs ain't cheap).

The sensitivity of the Lamdba sensors/ECU has been a problem from day 1 of ownership and after having 2 aftermarket catalytic converters fitted I fitted a used original but the engine management light still always comes back on. I've now just accepted the light and just reset it for the MOT.

I have welded up the rear of both sills, but that has been the only area of rust I've had to sort thus far. The window winders (like all of them that had the plastic lugs) had to be replaced and like most MK4 golfs the front bottom arms have been replaced. A couple of door lock modules have been replaced as well as the door speakers. We are still on the original clutch and the car has done 130,000 miles.

I would say I'd be lucky if someone offered me £600 for the car (it's not for sale), but the wife often comments that the Tiguan she got to replace it doesn't have the same toys/gadgets (electric sunroof, heated leather seats,, cruise control, multi changer CD, vanity lights in the sun visors, are some of what the Tiguan does not have...they both have air con, central/remote locking, alarm/immobiliser, electric windows/wing mirrors).

For us it's a useful second car but impractical for transporting 4 adults (but was okay when the kids were smaller). The boot space is next to useless, it's darn thirsty on fuel (but at least E10 compatible). It's unfortunately £290 in road excise duty but spares can still be found without too much issue.

I take it to VW shows as I feel it deserves to be there as it's now 22yrs old and love it or hate it they were made by VW and will always be a VW.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Retired Mr.Vzi
23,315 Posts
Due to the low price, here’s where some are ending up. This one will be no more after the weekend. Looks cool though. Going out with a bang!
Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Cloud

Tire Vehicle Car Wheel Hood

·
Retired Mr.Vzi
23,315 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought my first newb yesterday! Since I’ve been looking for one I’ve seen more on the roads than ever, probably a couple a day at least now. I used to have a 1970 beetle so for years I was die hard classic beetles only, and wasn’t too keen on the first gen new ones. I love the newest version and have got a 2016 1.2 design (keeping the running costs down).

·
Registered
12,332 Posts
Due to the low price, here’s where some are ending up. This one will be no more after the weekend. Looks cool though. Going out with a bang!
View attachment 300994
View attachment 300995
I already have an issue with banger racing but that's a different story. Even if I was into it, I wouldn't want to be doing it in something with that much plastic bodywork!

41 - 50 of 50 Posts