Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have just bought a 1972 beetle from ebay that has had alot of work done to it, ie body conversion, 5" roof chop, but it needs a fair bit of work to get it on the road. its my first beetle so need a bit of help. i need to replace the front beam, but where it has been lowered the wheels rub so i was going to install a 2" narrowed front beam. do i need to buy just the front beam or buy one with a set of narrowed new torsion leaves, apair narrow tie rods and narrowed heavy duty antiroll bar with bushes and clamps? ( a deal on vw speed shop) any help will be appreciated.

as stated its a 1972 with a standard 1300.

·
Registered
624 Posts
i have just bought a 1972 beetle from ebay that has had alot of work done to it, ie body conversion, 5" roof chop, but it needs a fair bit of work to get it on the road. its my first beetle so need a bit of help. i need to replace the front beam, but where it has been lowered the wheels rub so i was going to install a 2" narrowed front beam. do i need to buy just the front beam or buy one with a set of narrowed new torsion leaves, apair narrow tie rods and narrowed heavy duty antiroll bar with bushes and clamps? ( a deal on vw speed shop) any help will be appreciated.

as stated its a 1972 with a standard 1300.
Mmmmmm roof chop
sounds good, let's see some pics!!!

·
Registered
579 Posts
It depends on what you can do yourself. If you can weld but don't fancy narrowing the beam, the tie rods are very easy to do yourself.
To narrow the leaves from the original beam all you need is a grinder or hacksaw and a nice sharp drill bit.
You do have to buy the roll bar if you want one.

Doing some bits will cause you a little grief but saves you some money, which normally makes it worthwhile!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
i will probably buy one with the narrowed bits on it, does 350 deliverd sound reasonable or has anyone seen it cheaper?
il try add some pics that iv got before the bloke had an accident.
any other tips or advice from anyone is appreciated, or if anyone knows any companies that do the odd sponsership for something as different as this?

thanks again guys

(before the accident)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
just without bonnet, no wings, no sills, no decklid, damaged front beam, and a bit of welding underneath, so isnt to bad.

i was wondering if anyone has senn this beetle or a beetle like it before, or if this one has any history perhaps?

im planning to get it ready for the bug jam at santa pod, july time i believe. with a possible candy red paintjob?

·
Registered
509 Posts
ive seen one like it before but with a standard hight roof and flames, used to run in the vwdrc if i remember correctly, was featured in a magazine a few years back as well but i cant remember which one :rolleyes: dont think its the same car though.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
no i think this one was done in the last two years at most, by c&c coachworks? doors need a bit of reinforcing though apparntly the bloke who had it done was a bit cheap.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.