Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got an 02 plate New Beetle and about a month ago the brakes started squealing, so i replaced the pads which solved the problem. I drove the car the other day and after about a 15 min drive the brakes went really spongy and there was a burning smell inside the car and the wheels were far too hot for such a short journey.

The old man drove the car a few days later to check them and said there was nothing wrong with them.....so i took the car out again last nite and for about 10 mins the brakes were perfect and i felt a fool! After about 10mins, some heavy breaking and emergency stops to test them they went really spongy again and the burning smell was back. Which when i got the car home the old man smelt it and finally believed me!

When the pads were done the calipers seamed fine and were not stiff although the disks were slightly scored.

Surely on an 02 plate car the calipers would not need replacing already and why do the brakes work fine for 10-15 mins before going spongy?Surely the calipers just get stuck on or off?! Or is it gonna be down to the slightly scored disks?

Any ideas, the car has got to get my parents to the airport at the weekend so any help would be appreciated!

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
19,332 Posts
Did you replace the pads all round? If you did the rears, did you use the caliper rewind tool?

Don't suppose you've ever replaced the brake light switch under the brake pedal, or had it done under a recall?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Shamrockez said:
Did you replace the pads all round? If you did the rears, did you use the caliper rewind tool?

Don't suppose you've ever replaced the brake light switch under the brake pedal, or had it done under a recall?
Yeah all 4 corners were replaced, the old man did them and he made up a tool that wound the calipers back as described in the manual but didnt use the specific tool.

As far as i'm aware the switch has never been replaced......why?!

·
19,332 Posts
Just that they were a recall on some Bugs (earlier than yours tho I think) and some stories from America include them putting them in wrong and the brakes being slightly on most of the time - including one poor sod's Bug setting on fire :eek:

Is it all wheels which are getting hot?

Have you checked the brake fluid?

I'm no expert on brakes, but I replaced the fronts on mine and all went well, but the garage did the rears as the alan bolt was stuck and we couldn't get to it with the Bug not on ramps. If the pistons in the calipers aren't seated right it might explain this. I'd get it checked out with a mechanic, or get your dad to take a look at it again tho.

What model is it?

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well it hasn't caught fire.....yet!!The brakes have been perfect up until now.

Its a 1.9TDi, nothing special but, it goes alright just doesn't stop too well at the mo!! :eek: Its actually the old dears, i just use it so much at the mo, what with my golf being a little unreliable of late, that I lay claim to it and have to fix it on my only day off tomorrow! :rolleyes:

Thanks for your help boss, I'm gonna check out the website link in your signature too, see if there is any info bout brakes on there.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And yeah it is all wheels getting hot, fronts maybe slightly hotter. Brake fluid was first port of call and its fine.

·
Premium Member
8,813 Posts
YoungL said:
And yeah it is all wheels getting hot, fronts maybe slightly hotter. Brake fluid was first port of call and its fine.
Do you know when the brake fluid was last replaced ?
It will be fooked now anyway, after overheating.
Are there any signs of damage in the flexi hoses ? they could be starting to collapse internally, which stops the pressure from relieving when you lift off the pedal, this causes the brakes to drag & heats up the fluid, which causes more drag & overheats everything.

·
19,332 Posts
On that note, brake fluid in a Newbie should be changed every 2yrs - most don't seem to follow this so it's likely that it's not been changed for a while. Mine's 8yrs old and the first time it was changed was jan this year :eek: not long after i got him.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Shamrockez said:
You sure you used the right pads?

There's 2 types of caliper for the New Bug.

Mine's a TDi too :)

Saw that photo on the newbie website and may i say what a sweet new beetle you have! Very sweet!

I took it apart last thurs and the calipers and front disks were blue!!!! :eek: May have been getting a little bit hot then! Have changed the front calipers and disks, the rears were ok. The fluid has been changed but that would have been the first time since the car was brought or last 'serviced' by vw. Brake hoses have no visable damage but obviously difficult to see the inside.

The old man says they perform ok now, i've been away and havnt had a chance to drive it yet and test it! He says that there is a little more travel in the pedal now than there used to be.... He did say that they were a bitch to bleed tho and took several attempts!

So hope its fixed, i'll give it a run in the week and check them. If not have to look at the lines and poss even the master cylinder. Maybe even that bloody switch you talked about shamrockez.

This could get bloody expensive!

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Thats what you get for racing white beetles down the M20!

The only other thing I would check is that the resevoir cap is clear and there is nothing blocking the vent hole in the top, might act as a one way valve not letting the fluid back up into the resevoir especially when your giving it a bit of a hammering.

Stay safe dude!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
beng said:
Thats what you get for racing white beetles down the M20!

The only other thing I would check is that the resevoir cap is clear and there is nothing blocking the vent hole in the top, might act as a one way valve not letting the fluid back up into the resevoir especially when your giving it a bit of a hammering.

Stay safe dude!
Racing?! I was playing with ya! Could and should have left you for dead!! :moon: And besides......10mins into the 'race' you had to slow down, which i expect was cause you were over heating........i on the other hand know that the newbie will sit at 100 all day long! :incheek:

But you know i'd swap all that for an aircooled anyday, just not gonnna happen in the near future.....

I'll check the cap cheers ben.

Take it easy.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
YoungL said:
Racing?! I was playing with ya! Could and should have left you for dead!! :moon: And besides......10mins into the 'race' you had to slow down, which i expect was cause you were over heating........i on the other hand know that the newbie will sit at 100 all day long! :incheek:

But you know i'd swap all that for an aircooled anyday, just not gonnna happen in the near future.....

I'll check the cap cheers ben.

Take it easy.
100 mph? Ive only got a 1200. :rolleyes: Slowed down because her indoors was getting very scared and very deaf!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
beng said:
100 mph? Ive only got a 1200. :rolleyes: Slowed down because her indoors was getting very scared and very deaf!
Goes well and sounds amazing for a 1200, you did well to stick with those turbo boys back in the day!

Thought the misses might have had something to say, surprised my old man kept so quiet!

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Shamrockez said:
Thanks, glad you like him :)

Hope your problem is sorted now :)
I more than like him i want him!!! :cool: you obviously won yourself a little prize too, at whichever car show you were at, judging by the rosette on the windscreen!

Drove mine today, brake pedal does go down further than what it used to but the brakes work perfect so will have to do for now. It stops so that's all that counts doesn't it?!

Apparently we have a VAG mechanic in our distant family, which the old man is gonna get him to come and check them in a few weeks so, all will or should be good!

·
19,332 Posts
Yeah 2nd at Volksfest Wales this year :) I didn't even go to enter, we just all ended up in the show and shine :lol:

Hopefully yours is sorted then -if not hope your distant relative can sort it :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts