Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just been made aware of new changes to the Highway Code which come into play on 29th January.

mainly the part about cyclists & pedestrians o_O

can someone please cut and paste in that bit for me, thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
15,754 Posts
These new rules have the potential to create more incidents and accidents. Im not sure they are a good idea. I get the need to protect the vulnerable but these new rules go too far
If people follow the new rules, why will they create more incidents and accidents?

Which part of trying to protect people isn't a good idea?

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
I had no idea about this. So as a driver how am I supposed to know there are any changes and what they are? I've done a quick google and there seems to be nothing 'official' about it. 🤷‍♂️🙄

Edit: Found it. Linked to from another article: Summary of the consultation proposals on a review of The Highway Code

That 'new hierarchy of road users' - sounds like they're not changing anything. Just rearranging the words for the average hard-of-thinking pedestrian and cyclist hater.

·
Registered
13,233 Posts
The big change appears to be cyclists can now undertake you, so if you turn left and clip them you are definitely in the wrong.
I don't think they're allowed to, undertaking's killed/seriously injured quite a few people in london as theyre in trucks blind spots, it's more you're not allowed to overtake them and then cut them up by turning across them. The stopping to let people cross a road youre turning into will result in a few shunts from people not paying attention and pedestrians getting hurt by just walking out assuming people will realise they should stop

·
Premium Member
15,754 Posts
I don't think they're allowed to, undertaking's killed/seriously injured quite a few people in london as theyre in trucks blind spots, it's more you're not allowed to overtake them and then cut them up by turning across them. The stopping to let people cross a road youre turning into will result in a few shunts from people not paying attention and pedestrians getting hurt by just walking out assuming people will realise they should stop
I read it that they could in slow moving traffic, almost like filtering, also at junctions. Maybe wrong though. I agree with your example.

·
Registered
4,685 Posts
I read it that they could in slow moving traffic, almost like filtering, also at junctions. Maybe wrong though. I agree with your example.
I read it as cyclists can undertake if they are in a cycle lane:
You should give way to any cyclists in a cycle lane, including when they are approaching from behind you – do not cut across them when turning or when changing lane (see Rule H3). Be prepared to stop and wait for a safe gap in the flow of cyclists before crossing the cycle lane.

·
Registered
6 Posts
If people follow the new rules, why will they create more incidents and accidents?
having to stop on free-flowing roads when turning left could certainly catch out some drivers following

Which part of trying to protect people isn't a good idea? I'm not against protecting people I too am a cyclist at times.
but allowing /encouraging cyclists to use the road even (when millions have been invested in) when a cycle lane is in place, seems ridiculous to me. I might as well drive on pavements now

·
Premium Member
15,754 Posts
You mean drivers following too closely behind the car in front?

As you're a cyclist, and by the sounds of it one who uses cycle paths, you'll be aware of the state of most of the cycle paths. The ones that are less than ten metres long,. The ones which swerve up and down pavements. The ones that are faded so much you can hardly see them. The 'safe' ones which are separated from the road by a kerb, then never swept and are full of pebbles and debris, so it's like riding on marbles.

Don't get me wrong, I ride a bike, but I'm not some sort of cycling evangelist. I do drive HGV's for a living and see a lot of bad drivers in/on all sorts of transport. Due to the sheer volume, the majority are car drivers. No idea if it's proportional though.

·
Registered
4,376 Posts
So if I am about to turn left into a side road and I see a pedestrian waiting to cross, I need to stop and wait. The pedestrian can then safely cross. All good. No issue with that. But what if someone is driving the other way and want to turn right into the same side road? What happens to the pedestrian? The oncoming traffic has stopped so the driver turning right can go?

Still not safe for the pedestrian

1 - 11 of 11 Posts