Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I produce job adverts and have just sent artwork to a paper. They are refusing to publish it in case it breaches the new age discrimination laws.

It is for a Senior Service Engineer. They must be Corgi registered.

At no point does the text mention or imply any age at all. Senior is the level the applicant would be working at, whether they are 20 or 60.

The paper has just said we can't specify any qualifications and Senior implies young people can't apply.

Has the world gone mad?!

Sorry, rant over. I just thought this was ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
It's quite laughable really that anyone can be that uptight to think it discriminates against age. I think you should let Pyro deal with peeps like this in the revolution :D

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Please! Pyro - get on the case!

We're no longer allowed to specify qualifications such as GCSE's (in case people have O levels instead, therefore discriminating against them), it's taboo to mention any level of experience - say "qualified with 2 years experience" in case a school leaver feels discriminated against. We can't specify "modern" degrees, such as media studies, as older people wouldn't have been able to study them. Not allowed to say "energetic, dynamic, enthusiastic". It's making our job really really hard. :(

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
BUDGET BUS said:
any discrimination is wrong......positive or negative :(
quite agree but this one is too stupid to be right or wrong its plain idiotic

I.d PM Pyro he's bound to get this between his teeth :)

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Absolutely, we're not trying to discriminate. But it's getting on the point of paranoia now. We've had to take a picture of people out an advert because we couldn't find an image of an asian lady and therefore would be excluding ethnic minorities. It was just a picture of people - not in any way discriminating unless you twist it to be be so. That's the kind of thing I mean.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
Damn. I'm a senior engineer, but i'm only 34. 've just had to hand my notice in. Gutted

·
Registered
2,121 Posts
working in recruitment, it is a total nightmare.. It is ridiculous. You can be personally liable too, not just the company you work for. :(

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Is that because your too young to be a senior engineer :)

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
alfietinker said:
Want a job in Scotland? :D (sorry, bad taste)
Why is that bad taste? Has there just been a cull of traffic engineers in scotland? [scratchhead smiley]

(I was only joking, I'd only hand my notice in on the back of Pyro's posts, he is, after all, the rightful leader) :incheek:

·
Banned
18,444 Posts
This is no shit and i am not racist this is a genuine observation

Asian suport worker working with asian mothers

blah blah blah blah blah

Amplicant must be of asian orogine :eek: no shit

But thats sheffield councill for you

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Beena said:
Why is that bad taste? Has there just been a cull of traffic engineers in scotland? [scratchhead smiley]

(I was only joking, I'd only hand my notice in on the back of Pyro's posts, he is, after all, the rightful leader) :incheek:
Thought I might be insensitive if you'd just lost your job. I often put my foot in it I get worried :)

Ruby Soho said:
we are not allowed to puy

mature attitude - implies old
energetic - implies young

stupid!
I know, same here. So are they saying anybody old can't be energetic and I can't be mature because I'm under 30? I don't see how any of those words relate to age. It's your attitude regardless of years.

And the paper still refuses our advert so we've had to re-write it.

·
Registered
2,516 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DRUNKENBUM said:
This is no shit and i am not racist this is a genuine observation

Asian suport worker working with asian mothers

blah blah blah blah blah

Amplicant must be of asian orogine :eek: no shit

But thats sheffield councill for you
They'd be a clause somewhere they can use, because it's deemed neccesary for the job. The same as you can advertise a female carer for a female patient - there are laws to allow that kind of thing. You have to have a water tight case though.

·
Registered
46,359 Posts
alfietinker said:
Please! Pyro - get on the case!

We're no longer allowed to specify qualifications such as GCSE's (in case people have O levels instead, therefore discriminating against them), it's taboo to mention any level of experience - say "qualified with 2 years experience" in case a school leaver feels discriminated against. We can't specify "modern" degrees, such as media studies, as older people wouldn't have been able to study them. Not allowed to say "energetic, dynamic, enthusiastic". It's making our job really really hard. :(
I would but people dont seem to want to vote for me :(
I could sort all this out and you would rather go for the 'popular'
figure rather than the one who will do something about the sorry state of the country.

Its the Coldplay effect you see, only women and gay people are voting for the 'Barnet Strangler'.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Some of this is nonsense, because there is no law preventing you from asking for specific educational level or qualifications.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts