Volkszone Forum banner
41 - 60 of 91 Posts

· Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I fitted a pressure gauge to the outlet of the fuel pump when I fitted it. I've never actually measured the pressure at the carbs I just assumed it would be the same.

· Registered
2,636 Posts
I’ve always tee’d a gauge in the engine bay, ive got one fitted at the moment between the regulator and carbs that I’ve been meaning to remove as it’s not optimal to keep one fitted once the pressures set. You’d be welcome to borrow it for the cost of postage. I’ve got 8mm fuel line and hose from the tank to the carbs on that bug. Could be the tank filter or hard fuel line in your bug is blocked, pump is knackered fuel line kinked 🎲

· Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
An up date. There was more than enough for getting to the carbs but when I took the carb hats off the fuel was very yellow and had an oil patten on it so may be some water was mixed with the fuel. Any why cylinder 1 &2 pump jets started working the second I took the carb of the manifold so I'm guessing the pump mechanism was catching on something so I need to look into that. But cylinder 3 & 4 pump jets is a different story. One you operate the pump jet fuel was squinting out of one of these screws in the photo. The screws is tight but there nick in the metal lett the fuel out. Once I removed the screw and placed my finger over the hole fuel started coming out the both the pump jets.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Rim Vehicle brake

· Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Yes you are correct, there is a spring, ball bearing and a rod.
There is damage to the top of the carb under the screw head so the screw head can not seal. I was thinking of using some liquid metal and sealing it

· Registered
1,400 Posts
Yes. Give it a go. Put a small wooden dowel into the hole with a tiny screw in the middle of the dowel so you can grip it. The dowel is to stop bits of chem metal dropping down into the hole.

· Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Should the arm be just touching the pump diaphragm when at rest?
Or is there any advice on how to set the pump jets up?
I've also noticed that the pump was around 25% depressed with the butterflies closed

· Registered
1,400 Posts
Well, if the pump rod/diaphragm mech hasn't been messed with, shortened etc and there's a long rod spring, possibly a short spring too, some little washers and an inner sleave then the last item being the nylock nut, this needs to be screwed on with around 3 to 4 mm thread sticking past the nut. There's loads of info on the Samba site.

· Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
This is want mine look like. I seem to have lots of washers on the shaft, the only reason i can see for having so many washers is to move the arm of the pump piston
Automotive tire Gas Bumper Motor vehicle Machine tool

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Engineering Auto part

Black Wood Flooring Gas Tile flooring

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Wheel Automotive design Rim

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Vehicle brake Automotive exhaust

· Registered
1,400 Posts
I'd hold off buying the 33's until you get an idea that you absolutely need them. All the 50's will do is create a rich spot when you rev it up quickly. Look at the tail pipe when you do it. Is it black smoke.

· Registered
3,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
Hello mate. I've actually find loads of jets in bag that came with the carbs. Here's a list of jets I now have
52, 55 & 57 idle jets
115, 118, 132 main jets
150, 160, 180, 200 air jets
33 & 50 pump jets
28mm & 32 mm vents

I was thinking about putting in the 52 idle jets because I was turn the mixture screws need to be 2 1/2 turns out which should be the fastest idle, I'm usingvl the 55 idles and my mixture screws are between 1 and 1 1/2 turns out from fully seated.

41 - 60 of 91 Posts