Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm buying a 1300 '72 swing axel bug but at some point in the near future i'd like to put a 15/1600 in it. what's involved in this and anyone know how much parts would be or how much id't be to get a convo done as i don't have a great deal of mechanicaly knowledge (yet!!) and don't think i could really do this myself! :hangloose
ta

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
52,382 Posts
You can get a 1600 or 1641 barrels, pistons & heads kit that'll bolt straight on your 1300 case from GSF for £300 - £325, fitting is not that hard. Have you got any mates that can give you a hand?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeh my b/f has a camper so knows a bit but not much about bugs
but don't i have to change the gear box and someone said something about IRS??? which sounded expensive :(

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
52,382 Posts
A camper engine is identical to a bug in almost everyway. I wouldn't bother changing the box at all, can't see any need.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
if i left the box the same and put a 15-/1600 in would i get a bit of a higher top speed or not? i thought it was the gear ratios that let you do that?
so if i just put in a bigger engine but a 1300 box i'd get a bit more power/top end speed ?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
lol - ta
But i'd get a higher top end if i put a bigger box in?
Someone mentioned puttin IRS on if i put a new box in??? Is that neccessary?

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
An IRS conversion is a lot of pissing around for very little gain.

You may as well sell the 1300 and go out an buy a 1302S and save a whole load of hassle.

A stock 1600cc engine will bolt straight in to your 1300.

The 1300 gearing is sufficient to give you good acceleration.

Top end will be the same as currently. You just get there quicker, as previously explained.

If you want to go faster then sell the 1300 and buy a 1500 model - this has a 'longer gearbox', so to speak and thusly has a higher top speed.

Why anyone wants to go over 70 baffles me..

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well-i'd like it to get to 70 :p but i don't like the 1302/3s as much :(
would a 1500 or 1600 box not bolt straight in then? or do any 15/1600 boxes come as swing axel which'd bolt straight on?

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
I belive the 1500 box is higher geared which is what you would want , and its swing-axle too (more or less straight swap) ... All 1200/1300 bugs will do the limit though without too much trouble. :)

I dont think you need anything like an irs conversion just for a bit of speed. IMO its mainly done for handling reasons...

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
Sarah88 said:
that's brill :D ta
how much do 1500+ box go for and wouldi be able to pretty much do it alone?
Never had to remove one (yet) :eek: , its not a quick job though , i would expect it to take a day (assuming all goes well)

Am not that sure that you will need to change it to be honest , the 1300 box will do a decent speed anyway. :)

You could try the items items for sale / wanted on here to see what they are fetching price wise. :)

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
The increase to a 1600 isn't going to gain you much. My rebuilt 1300 runs better than a 1600 of the original age would. As for 1641cc kits, really its kidding yourself into thinking there is much more power. The kits have thinner walled barrels which are stressed more. The gain in performance is only marginal on the stock 1600.

Though a 1600 will be noticably better if the engine is rough, I'd save my bread and go for a 1776, as this is really where you will notice a big difference.

As for the gearbox, aim for a weekend if you don't have experience. Help would be advisable. A 1500 'box has a higher final drive, allowing for more top speed (or the same top speed at lower revs) A GT 'box offers closer ratio 1, 2 and 3 and a long final drive. This would give more "oopmh" as described by motoring journalists through the gears and more economy at say 60mph. IRS conversions are a lot of work, but well worth the hassle. Having only converted mine due to it being convinient, the gain will be much higher in cornering and stability. IRS conversions also mean that you must get an IRS 'box too as the standard one will not fit in. The nosecone may also have to be changed according to the age of the 'box and car.

To sum up; I'd reccomend getting a 1300 rebuilt by a reputable company. This may not be cheap, but will be the best solution long term, as the engine will be solid, relaible and more economical. You will also feel an increase in performance. I would also be to fit an anti roll bar at the front and a Z-bar back if they are not fitted already, to give better cornering stability. IRS is one of those things which gives the most benefit when going very fast into corners, such as on track days or big engined cars.

Drive the car first and see what you think. I've driven swing axles most and think that there is no problem at the speeds which it can take you. The anti roll bars do make a difference in cornering though. Lowering would also have a positive effect on cornering but make the ride more stiff.

Hope this helps a bit!

Al

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks dudes- i'd love a 1776-hermand (my boyfriend) has one in the van and it's amazing in a 2 tonne van :D but i can't go above 1500 due to insurance :D (young driver)
i am told by the person i'm buying the bug off that it won't really do 70 and i wondered the best way to get it to cruise at 70 and give it a "bit more oomph"
so i have a choice of a rebuild on the 1300 or putting in 1500 box and engine???????

·
Registered
106 Posts
Ive got a bog standard 1300 bug and it hits 80 with a good run up, sits at 70-75 just fine and its limited to 4500 rpm, keep it as it is !!! plus your road tax and insurance is cheaper

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
interesting well i'll drive it and see what happens as its going to be my daily. still if i did want a bit more out of it what would be the best solution?

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
Sarah88 said:
still if i did want a bit more out of it what would be the best solution?
You could "upgrade" to 1600 barrels + pistons. You would need to change the cylinder heads and manifold / carb too but its not a bad job. Certainly easier (IMO) than changing the gearbox. :)

But i would suggest you try it as it is for a few months to see. :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts