Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sorry not exactly a mech tech q, and probably a stupid question at that. Is it necessary to remove the temporary coat of black paint which is put on new panels such as wings to protect them before you prime and paint them?
thanks a lot :hangloose

·
Highly Respected Member
13,500 Posts
If you want a good tough finish, yes.

Take back to bare steel, key surface by sanding or using POR15 metal ready, then use a good quality etch primer before your topcoat goes on.

Dave.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
so would you do this before welding the panel on - or after? feel free to laugh at me if it's a stupid question, i won't hear you! ta

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
strummerbus said:
so would you do this before welding the panel on - or after? feel free to laugh at me if it's a stupid question, i won't hear you! ta
...I haven't got a clue...but if I were in your shoes I think I'd be out buying a body prep & paint book before I went any further...think it would save a lot of heartaches in the long run :eek: ....as they say...if all else fails....READ THE INSTRUCTIONS :D

·
Registered
8,832 Posts
Before, otherwise the paint will catch fire and the weld will be shite. Only weld bare metal, so floor pans for example would need to be stripped about 2" on the inner edge. Srip that section, weld on, then strip the whole pannel and clean up the weld. Then prime with whatever

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
hey ragged, sure you're not being short - but...

I'm buying a new wing, someone is welding it in for me because I don't know how to do it. and he's very good at it. but i can't afford for him to finish the job off properly.

as I'm short of cash - so need to do things as cost effectively as possible. thus, do i strip all the paint off the new panel before i get the guy to weld it in for me - then i can prep and paint myself to save money or...

let him fit as is? but do i then need to strip the inner parts (its a front wing bay winbdow) of paint whilst fitted to rustproof, paint & protect?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts