Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I honestly can't offer you any advice as I'm very new to all this myself, albeit with my bug - although I do want to get myself a camper at some point in the future.

What I will say is welcome - I think you've found the right place - and I hope someone helps you on your way to getting the camper you want :)

:hangloose

·
Registered
12,325 Posts
tap_and_unwrap said:
- should i pay the apparently huge premium to buy from a dealer, or can i get what i want privately,
Generally you pay for what you get, would suggest you look at californian imports as they have less rust issues, but this comes with a warning as they need att. once in the uk before you can register and get an MOT, mostly small wiring changes :D

·
Registered
9,063 Posts
i've said this before, but unless you are genuinely up for it, then buy on body condition and NOT on mechanics. Everything for a bay can be found relatively cheaply and easily wheras any major bodywork will cost you a LOT more. Obviously the best is to get a top body with top mechanics, but if you have to drop one, drop the mech.

Current prices - I'd say budget for about £4-5k for a good bus which you can purchase, drive away and have no big jobs on. I paid £4500 18 months ago and mine was pretty immaculate. but prices have shifted a touch.

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
Id suggest find someone local to yourself - ie: a VW club.

Then you can always get someone to advise you/go look at some with you who knows abit more about them and what to look for ;)

What area are you from ??

·
Registered
453 Posts
i completely agree with hermand aslong as the bottom is solid the rest is reletivly easy i came into this not knowing anything about air kooled and i have learnt so much from the tech forum and the haynes manual. good luck with getting ure bay post some pics when u do tho yer :)

·
Registered
317 Posts
heres a top tip. if you do go looking for body condition take a magnet with you. Run it along the body work and if dont stick then you have lots of filler and its really not worth buying :) Also find a local club and see if they can help. They usully know whos selling something worth buying.

·
Banned
26,771 Posts
Couple for sale on our club forum would help to know where you are....link below

1 - 10 of 10 Posts