Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Meet Nicnak, my brother in laws T3 hightop and my new winter project. Its going to be weather dependant as its too high to fit in the garage though atleast its under cover (sort of), so progress might be slow.
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Vehicle Land vehicle

I've had a quick poke around today to see what work needs doing. For a 37 year old converted panel van its not too bad.
Dented panel filled with 1/2" of filler.
Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle Motor vehicle Car

Other corner had been filled and a seam sanded into the filler. Gonna need a new lower panel welding in
Automotive parking light Wheel Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting

A little work to the arch
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

plus some work to the bottom and rear of the snorkel box.
Brown Wood Asphalt Tints and shades Road surface

Hole here into the engine bay is going to be fun to sort with the engine in.
Automotive tire Road surface Asphalt Wood Automotive exterior

The usual T3 rot location at the end of the sill where the rubberised factory underseal stuff has dried out, cracked and let water in.
Brown Wood Trunk Natural material Tints and shades

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sill under the sliding door is mostly solid, though the seal retaining strip was 90% rotten and had caused the sill to become holed a bit.
Grille Wood Automotive tire Railway Automotive exterior

Rear valance is shot. Its been damaged, is bent, rotten and was full of mud so is toast.
Automotive tire Car Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive design

Automotive parking light Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper

Theres also a rotten exhaust hanging off it.
Automotive tire Automotive exterior Wood Fixture Bumper

Sliding door needs work as the mechanism is worn so it likes to fall off sometimes.:ROFLMAO:
Motor vehicle Bumper Automotive exterior Gas Automotive tire

Drivers door is missing the bottom 2 or 3" of metal inside and the outer skin is pretty knackered too.
Think a replacement door is probably the best option. Will have to see if i can find an early door in Marsala red as that'd just mean the top half would need painting white.
The lower half of the body is painted a faded red thats turning pink so it'll get painted Marsala red to match the inside next year once its warm enough to paint outside again.

Its running a 1.9AAZ turbo diesel from a passat though it was fitted without the turbo, probably using the original 1600 or 1700 diesel inlet and exhaust manifolds and exhaust and its gutless. Big parts list is needed to fit a turbo to it though.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Gas Vehicle

·
Registered
1970 Beetle 1300TP
17 Posts
Good luck with it mate - might be worth checking the trailing arm mounts as well (you can put your finger inside and check to see whether it’s crusty and your finger goes through.

I got inner/outer sills for mine from AH Schofields as their panels are of a decent quality.

Those snorkel boxes tend to rot out where water gets in through the rear air vents. I’ve got a magnetic strip behind the vent so the water runs off of the gutter and behind the strip and away from the vents (not my pic but you can see how it works):

Hood Vehicle Sky Cloud Window

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good luck dude. :)
I've got another similar one lined up for the same kind of work too. Not being able to get that one undercover is a PITA though.
Theres enough hardstanding next to my garage that i can build a carport over it to keep the worst of the winter weather off. Should be able to add sides on it too once i remove a road sign thats just accidentally fallen over. ;)

Good luck with it mate - might be worth checking the trailing arm mounts as well (you can put your finger inside and check to see whether it’s crusty and your finger goes through.

I got inner/outer sills for mine from AH Schofields as their panels are of a decent quality.

Those snorkel boxes tend to rot out where water gets in through the rear air vents. I’ve got a magnetic strip behind the vent so the water runs off of the gutter and behind the strip and away from the vents (not my pic but you can see how it works):

View attachment 296585
Trailing arm mounts are 100% solid which makes a change, though one has taken a whack so the bottom ear lobe shaped bit is bent.
One on my caravelle was completely toast.
Automotive tire Wood Gas Automotive wheel system Tints and shades

I think the rubberised sealant under the arches failed and let water in behind it as underneath it was just rusty wafer thin metal. The inside of the snorkel boxes is still factory fresh paint.

I used a cable tie attached to the bottom couple of vents on mine which stopped rain getting in as it always ran down the lower back corner and dripped onto the snorkel box floor.
Hood Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design

·
Registered
12,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fitting the turbo is out of the equation now as the parts list easily adds up to £5-600 plus the cost of a decent turbo.
The 1.6TD manifold has a obscure mounting shape so theres not many turbos that'll fit and the AAZ manifold off the passat the engine came out of won't clear the side of the engine bay or engine lid as it puts the turbo too high. :rolleyes:
I'm hoping a good tuneup with the injection timing set correctly will give a bit more power. It currently runs out of puff on motorway grades.
The specs for a 1Y code (basically an AAZ without the turbo) should be putting out about 63 BHP and 91lbft of torque which you'd expect to be just enough to keep ahead of trucks on a hill but isn't.
Its running an unknown 4 speed petrol box and 185/75/14 tyres instead of 185/14 so somethings not quite matched or adjusted properly. It'll run 70+ on the motorway until you get to a hill so maybe the gearing is too high?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts