Volkszone Forum banner
61 - 80 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #61 ·
Got a message from my brother in law. Van won't start, turns over and over, won't fire and sounds like a bag of spanners. He's supposed to be away in it on Friday (today).
Someones stolen all the diesel out of the tank. Was 1/2 full last week but now not even registering on the gauge. :mad:
Couple of cans of fuel put in and its running again.
Asked him if its MOT'd. Nope it ran out March 10th. :rolleyes:

He drove it to the MOT station and was greeted by this coolant leak.
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Nowt i've touched while working on it so i assume its either damage done by whoever stole the fuel or its just the 38 year old steel coolant pipes finally saying enough and giving up the ghost.
Holiday now a no go.

·
Registered
1970 Beetle 1300TP
50 Posts
There’s some proper sh1tbags about - and after all the work that has been done on it.

Looks like the leak is central so I reckon it’s from damage done from nicking the fuel as usually leaks from corrosion happen at the end of the pipes, either at the rad end or where it connects to the coolant junction.

Hope he’s able to get away in it soon.

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
Seems to be leaking from above the tank which is odd. The whole of the front to back coolant pipes are crispy though.
Not sure how the fuel was drained as all the pipes seem to still be connected and the filler cap was still on and locked. :unsure:

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
Front end next. Lower front panel isn't too bad, a few bits above the headlights and a section on the bottom of the drivers A post. Plus the bottom inner section of the drivers door needs rebuilding.
Vehicle Car Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tail & brake light

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 · (Edited)
I had a pick at the filler along the bottom of the front panel. Safe to say its fooked. Its had a section in the middle replaced but its not even attached to the deformation panel anymore.
Grille Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tail & brake light Automotive tire

Grille Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle

Looks like it was bright orange originally.

Sanded the filler on the front panel above the headlight and sprayed on some rattle can primer and black paint.
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tail & brake light Motor vehicle Paint

Hood Automotive lighting Liquid Paint Automotive exterior

Did the same to the bottom of the A pillar too.
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood

Automotive tail & brake light Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Bumper

Repaired a couple of small spots on the closing panels at the ends of the deformation panel too.
Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bumper

Fusebox is a bit weird. 12 fuse one but with the first 2 taped over and number 10 missing the terminals.o_O
Hood Motor vehicle Luggage and bags Trunk Bag

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
After finally managing to get the MH started due to a troublesome immobiliser light, it was moved over a bit and the T3 squeezed in next to it.
Automotive parking light Tire Sky Vehicle Wheel

Ever had one of those days you wished you'd just stayed in bed?
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Rim Gas Automotive wheel system

Has anyone got a spare lens for a T3 headlight?

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Yep. I think its mostly the design thats caused some of it as theres a few sections on the front where theres a bracket welded to the back of the panel. They all seem to rot there as this is the third i've done with rust holes in the exact same place.
Still got to figure out how to do the inside of the drivers door but as the allen head fixing bolts are fooked i'll have to see about fixing it while its still on the van.

I also found one of the jubilee clips on the main coolant pipe at the bottom of the radiator has rusted away and its in a right PITA place to access without removing the steering bevel box from the bottom of the column. :rolleyes:
Might have to just chop the remains off with a dremel and see if i can get a new one to fit round the pipe without removing the hose.

·
Registered
12,771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #80 ·
Got the rest of the lower front panel welded in and the welds ground down, then the heavens opened and rain stopped play.:(
Found one of the main coolant hoses were it attaches to the bottom of the radiator was leaking a little where it was missing a jubilee clip. Luckily i found a spare stainless one in my spares box.
Car Vehicle Automotive side marker light Grille Hood

61 - 80 of 93 Posts