Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All

1st post ñ so here goesÖ

Heard a horrible squealing sound today ñ on investigation I discovered it was the fan, I noticed the alternator was a bit lose. At first I assumed it was the strap but discovered this was secure. So looking down I noticed the pedestal had cracked straight across the base (just where the shaft joins the base)

So ñ undid the pulley, loosed the fan housing, un wired the alternator, undid the throttle bar, undid the strap, lifted out the alternator and fan, un connected the oil breather pipe, un connected the 4 bolts that hold the pedestal down and pulled the piece of junk out.

Question ñ when I removed the base of the pedestal it was stuck down with some type of rubber gasket, also a metal plate/gasket was stuck to the bottom of it. If I order a new pedestal will it come with the metal plate/gasket or do I need to order one separately ñ if so what is it called ? Also should the pedestal be sealed in with a liquid gasket if so which one to use?

Cheers

1.8 type 4 in a speedster rep (Hertfordshire)

PS does anyone do a service kit (oil, filter, plugs etc) save buying them separately ?

·
Highly Respected Member
13,613 Posts
Hi - Welcome to VZI :D

Are you sure it's a type 4 motor ? From your description it sounds more like a type 1. (photos would be good)

If the base of the pedestal has "Zundfolge 1-4-3-2" written on it, then it's a Type 1 engine. The baffle plate comes with a new gasket set, although you might be able to buy them seperatley. There is normally a paper gasket either side of the baffle plate, but you could use engine silicon (sparingly) either side of the baffle once you've cleaned and de-greased it all. (that's assuming it's a type 1 engine)

Dave.

·
Registered
8,845 Posts
Best off buying all the bits from somewhere like GSF - but don't skimp on oil, get something at least half decent! And you'll need the metal gasket, though I couldn't tell you what it is called off hand - they do come in an engine gasket set, along with rocker cover gaskets which you'll want anyway if you are doing the tappets. If you have a look on vwheritage they usually have exploded diagrams. It shouldn't need to be sealed with liquid gasket but a little doesn't hurt. Welcome to the forum :)

Al

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Laurence Fletcher said:
Have you registered here yet ?
http://www.speedsters.com/
Had a look around but it does not seem to be a well frequented forum (very few new posts)

Once again thanks for all the info

Now I just need to order the new pedestal, gasket and service kit Öoh and put the whole lot back together.

Unfortunately I feel I might be getting the bug (no pun intended)

I am thinking Ösuspension upgrade, new engine (rebuild) , gearbox ÖÖsee if I can build a sub 7 second (to 60) speedster ???

Anyone know someone in Hertfordshire who will do this for me and in the process take all my money ??

cheers

·
Premium Member
9,113 Posts
al_kaholik said:
Hows about you do it yourself - the whole thing, being beetle based - is possibly the most simple automotive project :D
Seconded, and certainly the most rewarding DIY project, coupled to the occasional horror stories of less-than-reputable garages charging Porsche prices for VW engineering, as soon as they see unsuspecting owners with a Speedster replica.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts