Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just fitted a second hand nikki to my '71 bug seems to run ok as it is but i would like to fit an air filter. Will one from a progessive webber fit (even if I have to hack it about a bit)?
Also, who stocks spares for these? just in case.
thanks.

'Mr beech you are a complete fuckwit'
henry ford early '60s (probably) :incheek:

·
Registered
20,445 Posts
Not too many people on here have much experience with Nikki carbs - and I know some are openly hostile (begins with M and ends in 3 :) ) but I have some. I do not know what other air cleaners will fit - I guess you are going to be measuring diameters of the mounting. But the one bit of advice is this: if the Nikki is working well it will have a tendency to ice up in our cold damp climate, so you do need a supply of warm air to the inlet in the same way that the standard carb had. Is it possible to modify a standard air cleaner set up? The standard was pretty good for air flow and had all the thermostatically controlled flappy thing gubbins.

·
Registered
584 Posts
cant you just buy nikki specific air filters, ive seen them crop up on ebay a couple of times they look exactly the same as the chrome pancake cheapies for the solex carbs. Unless they are a modified one of those?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
If I remember correctly the Nikki carb had a circular intake and, assuming yours is the same, then you can get something from K&N to fit without modification. Some of the K&N range have the facility to run a take off to a warm air supply to prevent carb icing. You can buy these from many retail sources but they are on Ebay quite regularly....you just need the intake flange measurement to hand so that you get one that fits!!

The progressive weber filter can be made to fit but you will have to remake the bottom plate and then fabricate some way of securing it to the carb.......why bother?

Stay away from the cheap chrome pancake filters......the wire mesh inside some of these only filters out particles marginally smaller than the average house brick.

good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts