Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Putting my bug back together after a garage fitted a new gearbox, just come across a strange problem.
The clutch cable conduit is supposed to be sandwiched between the chasis and a bracket on the gearbox, the cable then comes out the conduit and bolts onto the lever, right?
Well there's no bracket on my gearbox so there's no tension at all on the conduit. The lever is there but no bracket for the conduit to rest against. I've checked some pics and my other bug and the bracket seems to be part of the gearbox, not a bolt on bracket.
I've found something that might be what I'm after at heritage but it looks very different:

This is the best pic I can find to show the part I need.

Any ideas? :)

·
Highly Respected Member
13,501 Posts
Some (T1) boxes have the bracket cast as part of the sideplate, some have a bolt on bracket very similar to the one in the other pic.

Not sure about T2 boxes though. Personally I'd fabricate my own to suit whatever clutch outer sleeve is on there - bear in mind you need to have some tenson and bend in that sleeve otherwise you'll judder your fillings out when you set off !

Dave.

·
Registered
18,482 Posts
But isn't that a Bus gbox ??

There is a bracket held by 2 bolts , but the bracket is
shaped differently than the Type 1 style.

http://www.longenterprises.com/diagram_folder/diagramlist.htm
Click on: "DIAGRAM #13 IRS Type 2 (002) HOUSINGS"
(Once there, you can click for a larger view)
Item #37 is the bracket and you can see the 2 cast bosses
in the side of the gbox housing.

http://www.1800vw.bizhosting.com/0.bus_tran.late.htm
Item #54 is the bracket.
Vic lists the P/N but I would be surprised if it is available new.

Apologies if I have identified the box incorrectly...

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry guys, thats just a pic I pinched off the net to show the part I needed. You are right it is a Type 2 box. Apologies for the confusion.

I have a type 1 box and it's going in a 1975 1600cc beetle.

·
Registered
2,429 Posts
All swing axle Bugs from built from Nov. 72 used bolt on clutch brackets. The earlier ones were part of the side cover casting. Make sure you get the right bracket for your cable and conduit tube combination. Since the transmission was replaced, you also need to know if it has the original clutch operating lever (where the cable attaches to the wing nut).

Although you don't have to use your models original spec clutch parts, they were the best version fitted.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Peter said:
All swing axle Bugs from built from Nov. 72 used bolt on clutch brackets. The earlier ones were part of the side cover casting. Make sure you get the right bracket for your cable and conduit tube combination. Since the transmission was replaced, you also need to know if it has the original clutch operating lever (where the cable attaches to the wing nut).

Although you don't have to use your models original spec clutch parts, they were the best version fitted.
Ahhh makes sense now, cheers guys :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts