Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all this a 66 12volt Splitty :D
Could anyone give me some pointers to why when I turn on my sidelights the fuse blows.
My dipped and main beam work fine so I'm guessing they are on a seperate fuse. This may be a different problem but my rear lights are not working either, yet the stop, indicators and number plate light is working fine :(

·
Registered
345 Posts
Sounds like the lights might be earthing somewhere causing the fuse to blow. Check all the bulbs, and also check the wires going to them to make sure they are not split or broken. Check the fuses your using are correct, it could be a fuse box fault, so check the condition and fitting of the fuse box (is it standard or after market type?) It could be the headlight switch itself not turning on the sidelights perhaps? Check the switch is sending power when pulled out once (sidelights only), best to get some daylight and a power tester... Hope you can sort it out dude.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers JuiceBug I'll get some more fuses and have a go tomorrow :D

·
Registered
21,202 Posts
captain fury said:
This may be a different problem but my rear lights are not working either, yet the stop, indicators and number plate light is working fine :(
The front side lights and tail lights are all wired from the same fuse. Have a look behind the fuse - there'll be two grey wires (these go to the side lights) and one grey/red wire (this goes to the tail lights).

Disconnect all three wires, put in a new fuse and then reconnect ONE wire. If the fuse doesn't blow, remove the wire and try again with another wire. Repeat this until the fuse blows - when it blows you have found the culprit.

I hate the stock VW fuse box for this very reason! This is why I always fit modern blade fuse boxes with at least 16 fuses and only one fuse per circuit on any vehicle I rewire.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers Mate, really helpful. Thanks very much :D :hangloose

AngelVenomous said:
The front side lights and tail lights are all wired from the same fuse. Have a look behind the fuse - there'll be two grey wires (these go to the side lights) and one grey/red wire (this goes to the tail lights).

Disconnect all three wires, put in a new fuse and then reconnect ONE wire. If the fuse doesn't blow, remove the wire and try again with another wire. Repeat this until the fuse blows - when it blows you have found the culprit.

I hate the stock VW fuse box for this very reason! This is why I always fit modern blade fuse boxes with at least 16 fuses and only one fuse per circuit on any vehicle I rewire.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK, finally got out to have a look. All the side lights wires look fine but the main + wire from the battery was on wrong side of the fuse.
Anyway when the main + is on the wrong side of the fuse and I turn sidelights on, the sidelight fuse gets very very hot and blows.
When the main wire is on the correct side of the fuse and I turn the sidelights on the main fuse blows :confused:

·
Tech Guru/Mr VZi '06
41,834 Posts
captain fury said:
OK, finally got out to have a look. All the side lights wires look fine but the main + wire from the battery was on wrong side of the fuse.
Anyway when the main + is on the wrong side of the fuse and I turn sidelights on, the sidelight fuse gets very very hot and blows.
When the main wire is on the correct side of the fuse and I turn the sidelights on the main fuse blows :confused:
What do you mean by 'main + wire', what colour is it?
A very common cause of the problem you have is that the front sidelight bulb wires are crossed, earth to supply, on the headlight bulb holder. Make sure the grey wire there is connected to the tit on the end of the sidelight bulb, and the earth wire (brown) connects to the side of the bulb.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cheers Moby, I'll take another look tomorrow.
The main + wire go to the fuse box (red) which seems to come from the battery when this is diconnected there is no power :crazy:

ps before the fuse gets hot and finally blows (couple of mins) the sidelights do work

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
they are on the same fuse, but the headlight fuses are on seperate fuses (they are fine) The fuse (sidelights)that heats to a glow before poping is blue 25 :eek:

·
Tech Guru/Mr VZi '06
41,834 Posts
They shouldn't be on the same fuse, they should be split to two fuses the same as the main beam and dipped beam are. If all the sidelights are grouped onto one fuse then we can't help much in locating the fault unless you remove all the sidelight wires from the side of the fusebox with the most wires, and then attach them again one by one until the fuse blows. The last wire attached is then the circuit that has the short, so we need to know the colour of that wire. You should also replace the blue fuse with a white one or the wires will melt before the fuse blows, causing you all kinds of grief.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts