Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anbody got any ideas how i can get it wireless without upgrading my contract or stuff like that?

Cheers :hangloose

·
Registered
591 Posts
If you buy a wireless router then plug the line curently going to your computer in to that, you could go wireless without involving NTL. You would also need a wireless reciever for for computer. Think if you shop around could prob get router and a wireless reciever for bout 50/60 quid. Others will know more though!

Ant

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I will do a drawing of the current setup dudes.

The area that i get confuesd with is that the incoming cable from NFL is coax and the wireless access point and wireless router that i have are Netgears with only RJ11 and rj45 ports.

Cheers

·
snide twat
39,983 Posts
Caesar said:
I will do a drawing of the current setup dudes.

The area that i get confuesd with is that the incoming cable from NFL is coax and the wireless access point and wireless router that i have are Netgears with only RJ11 and rj45 ports.

Cheers
connect the netgear to the output of the ntl box.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
The incoming Cable remains plugged to your NTL box, then ethernet or usb out to your router, whichever you have, thats it. You`ll then need to config the wireless network. Everything will be the same as you used it hard wired, so you just need to search for available wireless networks using the old wizard jobby.

·
Registered
2,985 Posts
ntl are selling a wireless router kit for £40 ;)
I'd like one myself, but fitting it would be another story :crazy:

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cool,

Will try connecting the wireless wouter via RJ45 to the NTL box and see how i get on.

Is there any special configuration i need to on the router as it is an ADSL router?

Cheers

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
No nothing really, might be an idea to make sure the wireless is set to on, before you disconnect your comp from the system, that way if you have a problem getting into the admin area on the router from wireless, its already running. Dont set any security until you have the wireless network running properly, but once its in and working, set that up too or you`ll probably end up with a couple of freeloaders using your broadband, i know we did when we first had ours.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Once you do the wizard thingy for a wireless network and see the contact, you should be able to connect no probs, to get into your router admin area and setup the security etc, you`ll need to direct your browser to http://192.168.0.1 you should then get asked for your password/username that you used when you set your router up in the first place, once your inside, the rest is pretty self explanatory. Good luck

·
snide twat
39,983 Posts
Caesar said:
Cool,

Will try connecting the wireless wouter via RJ45 to the NTL box and see how i get on.

Is there any special configuration i need to on the router as it is an ADSL router?

Cheers
an ADSL router won't work as it will be expecting to dial up to a DSL line. As you have cable, you need a non-adsl router.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thats what i was getting confused about.

I will borrow a normal Wireless router from a friend and try that.

Thanks

Spiny

1 - 13 of 13 Posts