Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all :D

Had a bit of a funny noise from my engine and after a bit of investigation I found a plug loose, but when I went to refit it I found that the thread in the head for the spark plug has stripped :mad:

I've removed all the tinware and its very easy to get at (No 1 cylinder, osf??) on a t3 square, whats my best option. I dont want to remove the head/engine, what about a helicoil....is this a bodge or will it last, can it be fitted with the head on

Thanks for any help :)

Jay

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
You could have a helicoil but a timesert (as recommended by a lot of peeps on here) is a more permanent repair.

Try a search on here for timesert (and on google as well) , you should be able to find someone who can do one for you. :)

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
£270 for a timesert kit :eek:

Ok if youre a business but i only need one doing

will maybe look at a helicoil

thanks

jay

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Heli-coils are a permanent repair the Rolls Royce RB211 (Jumbo Jet Engine) uses thousands of the buggers, all put in by the apprentices (HA HA!). They actually make the threaded hole stronger by having a bigger surface area on the flanks of the thread.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
Heli-coils are a permanent repair, the Rolls Royce RB211 (Jumbo Jet Engine) uses thousands of the buggers, all put in by the apprentices (HA HA!). They actually make the threaded hole stronger by having a bigger surface area on the flanks of the thread.

·
Registered
10,675 Posts
jgtr said:
£270 for a timesert kit :eek:

Ok if youre a business but i only need one doing

will maybe look at a helicoil

thanks

jay
I meant have a ring around the local engineering places and garages incase someone would come out to you and do it for you , not buy a kit. :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
i got thesame prob my bro works for bmw and he is bringing there kit home to do it for me :) so most bisnesses shouldhelp if u are close to me i could probly help ya get it done

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm in Basildon, Essex

Got a bloke coming round in the week to fit a helicoil for £40, says hes done loads and never had any problems...fingers crossed :incheek:

·
Premium Member
8,964 Posts
jgtr said:
I'm in Basildon, Essex

Got a bloke coming round in the week to fit a helicoil for £40, says hes done loads and never had any problems...fingers crossed :incheek:
& he'll be more than happy to come back and fit another one for £40 next time you change the plugs :incheek:
I've never had much luck with Helicoils, only ever had one Timesert, but it never gave me any trouble.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
ill give you a tip. a helicoil is about as permenant money in your wallet. my bug had (i say had, the buggers still there!) a helicoil and it was on the number one cylinder too. the thread stripped again and decided it wanted to stick to the plug instead.. so now i can change all of my plugs exept one. is a real pain in the arse. :incheek:

·
Registered
292 Posts
I had a helicoil fitted but I haven't changed the plug since so I'm not looking forward to that! I think you need to take the head off (at least that was the advice i was given) and really you should only be looking to pay 20 quid

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hmmmm...not sure I can find anyone to fit one for £20, 3 places all quoted £40-45, and the bloke who is doing it is coming to my house (you can get a plumber to your house for less than £50 these days - and thats before he does anything!) he's doing it in situ so can't really grumble...and at the end of the day it gets me out of the shite.

I don't do many miles so won't be changing the plugs for a while, and by the time the plugs are due a change the engine will be out for a refresh hopefully

·
Registered
292 Posts
Its the 'in situ' bit you need to watch as there is a danger of shite going into the cylinder, but if he knows what he's doing...............

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Theres always that chance, one place refused to do it in situ, the others said they cant take responsibility for any damage

At the end of the day it is a bodge!!!!

·
Registered
839 Posts
jgtr said:
At the end of the day it is a bodge!!!!
Never done a VW and it does look more awkward to get at than most vertical engines. But there's a lot of people driving round in cars with helicoiled spark plugs that will never know.

"It's a bodge" - well maybe but its also an engineering solution if done properly. Just use plenty of grease to retain the swarf and take your time.

(oh and on some engines you must make sure the piston isn't near tdc or you could end up with ... well I guess you're way ahead of me ;) )

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Just spoke to the bloke doing it and he will be fitting a timesert :D :D and not a helicoil

1 - 19 of 19 Posts