Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have dual weber 34 ICTs in my bug, and am trying to work out how best to hook up the oil breather pipe. The previous owner has a flexible plastic breather hose (that is too long and kinked when hot) connected to a plastic bottle wedged behind the fan shroud:

Motor vehicle Steering part Vehicle Steering wheel Automotive tire

Ideally I would like to take the breather pipe to the right-hand air filter. How have others done this - just taken a standard filter and drilled a hole for a fitting? Any recommendation for fittings etc? TBH I could probably do with new filters anyway...

I have found these:

Which have a hole for a fitting on the underside for the breather hose. But I am not sure it will be easy to route a hose to the underside of the filter rather than the top, and the fitting looks to be much smaller than the outlet from the oil filler.

I'd welcome ideas/pictures of others' set-ups? There are a few old threads on here but the pictures and links to recommended parts are all broken!

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
You can route to the top of the RH air cleaner with two provisos:
1. You do not use the highly restrictive barb-type fitting in your photo, nor the even worse ones on your link. The free area must be equal to or greater than the oil filler vent.
2. An extension tube is fitted inside the air cleaner which extends close to the venturi.

Venting into a sealed bottle is useless, as is venting into the bottom of an air cleaner.

Reactions: Herbiebug

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. When you say an extension close to the Venturi, any pics to explain this? Do you mean to divert it away from the carb intake into the filter?

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Quite the opposite. If you feed the breather into the cleaner where there is very little negative pressure it will just fill it up and eventually drip out. The breather needs to exit into an area of low pressure, ie. close to the carb inlet itself where the breather products will be sucked in and burnt.

·
Highly Respected Member
13,566 Posts
If you're happy with a bit of DIY, one of these - IBC Tank adapter S60X6 to 3/4" (19mm) hose barb elbow connector with washer | eBay
Cut down the cap bit so it's basically a nut for the threaded section of the elbow. Drill the top centre of the air filter so the threaded end of the elbow will go in. Get a piece of pipe thats a good fit on the inside of the elbow, and will drop down inside the filter to about 1 inch above the top of the carb. Epoxy the pipe into the elbow. Then fit to the air filter.

Just an idea....

Dave.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Might have a play with the old air filter and see what I can rig up. If it works well I can do it on a new one later!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So... went a bit A-Team with some stuff I had in the garage.

Started by cleaning and oiling the original filters. Original plan was to use the original fitting from the plastic catch bottle that was already in there, but as Beetlbank suggested the internal diameter was too small. So I dug out an old garden hose connector, and ran a piece of rigid irrigation pipe to around 1inch above the carb, via a hole drilled in the top of the filter:

Wood Architecture Office supplies Line Audio equipment

Eye Automotive tire Camera lens Wood Lens

Finished installation:

Hood Motor vehicle Gas Auto part Automotive exterior

1 - 8 of 8 Posts