Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1956 split with straight axle conversion & 12 volt 1600 t/p engine with alternator.

I tried starting (& failed. see other post about the startrer issue) my bus for the 1st time since doing the straight axle conversion & engine upgrade & I have a problem with the warning lights on the dash.

I have a green (oil) light & a red (generator) light but the oil light stays on & the generator light doesnt even light up.

I have fitted new bulbs in both & have even swapped the generator light bulb for another I know works.

Have I re-connected something wrong when fitting the alternator & engine?

The bus had the stock 6v engine with dynamo & piggyback regulator prior to the conversion & I noted the position of the wires before removal so Id know where they went when I came to put the new engine in.

I had the following:

blue/green to the oil pressure switch from the main loom
black/Red to the regulator on the dynamo
&
blue to regulator on the dynamo but the 2nd terminal.
Black to lh terminal on the coi
Green to the rh terminal on the coil.

I have replaced them like for like with the exception of:
black/red going to B+ on the alternator
&
Blue going to D+ on the alternator.

Have I done something wrong or was it wired wrong by a previous owner?

Can anyone help?

I dont want to ruin my new engine cos I dont know if the generator is working or if I dont have oil pressure.

thanks

mark

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
sorry to hijack a bit but where does the regulator go in that diagram im gusing its inbetween b pluss and the batery but what wires go where from it when its coming from a alternator

Thanks Phil

·
Tech Guru/Mr VZi '06
41,834 Posts
Can anyone help?

I dont want to ruin my new engine cos I dont know if the generator is working or if I dont have oil pressure.

thanks

mark
Pull the wire off the oil light switch and see if the green light goes out.
Pull the blue wire off D+ and touch it to earth to see if the red light comes on.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.