Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
DubLass said:
Does anyone know where i can find out how someone died?
Im talking from around 1910...
Hi hun, first thing to do is find out as much information as possible place of death and date if possible. Then it's simple Family Records Centre at Middleton Place London or the local registry office for place they died will be able to send you a copy certificate.

From there on you have other leads. If you only know an address etc or rumoured circumstance there are ways around that too.
Give me a yell if you need a hand.

·
Registered
6,438 Posts
Don't forget that the older the records are, the less "significant" the person was, the less suspicious the death was, all add up to the less accurate description of cause of death.

(Mrs is doing a bit of Pathology on her Med degree at the mo).

EG if it was a Lord who died young and the family could afford a full on PM, it might be quite accurate ( don't forget that in 1910 there were still lots of diseases undiscovered and path labs were not the same as the CSI ones we have now....)

If the person was a 60 year old farm labourer who didn't wake up one morning there was probably no proper PM and the Doc would have written just about anything on the cert.

Good luck. Loads people have an interesting time doing the geneology thing.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
How weird, just had my sis in law round with her lodger. Poor girl is only 19, she has had a step dad since she was a baby and her mum won't tell her anything about her real dad other than he was a druggie & alcy ... he died around 9 years ago.
I phoned the local registrar and you can request a copy of the death certificate for £7 but the death is too recent to be able to find out any more info ( on t'internet). I should imagine that if you have some info you should be able to find out quite a bit. Wasn't there a census website set up a few years ago, dating back to 1900 ? I'd like to know more about my italian ancestors, my grandad wasn't italian or born in italy as far as I know, but with a name like ungaretti, someone along the line must've been ;)
anyhoo good luck !

·
Registered
5,599 Posts
dirtypidj said:
How weird, just had my sis in law round with her lodger. Poor girl is only 19, she has had a step dad since she was a baby and her mum won't tell her anything about her real dad other than he was a druggie & alcy ... he died around 9 years ago.
I phoned the local registrar and you can request a copy of the death certificate for £7 but the death is too recent to be able to find out any more info ( on t'internet). I should imagine that if you have some info you should be able to find out quite a bit. Wasn't there a census website set up a few years ago, dating back to 1900 ? I'd like to know more about my italian ancestors, my grandad wasn't italian or born in italy as far as I know, but with a name like ungaretti, someone along the line must've been ;)
anyhoo good luck !
Hi lots of good sites out there.http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
http://freecen.rootsweb.com/cgi/search.pl
http://www.familyrecords.gov.uk/frc/
for a start yell if you need a hand.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts