Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello ! :)

I've got a v old pc knocking about, and was going to stick a minimal copy of linux on it for fun.

As its such an old machine, I can't set the cd-rom to boot automatically in the bios. :(

I used to have a floppy disc ( can't remember where I downloaded it from ! ) that booted when you turned the machine on, then presented you with a menu to select the cd rom drive so you could then boot the cd from that ! :)

Does anyone have any idea where I can get it from ? or even have the foggiest idea what Im going on about / suggest an alternative ?? :D :D

thanks

·
Registered
74 Posts
Check out: http://tweakcentral.com/bootdisk.htm

I would suggest using the Windows 98 Bootdisk as it has pretty much anything you want to prepare for a new OS.

(also have alook at "Feather Linux" it's 64MB in size, graphical user interface, word processing, internet and music player amongst lots of other things that come with it - works fantastically on older machines!)

·
Registered
4,707 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice one, will have a closer look at that later - when I've finished tidying the whole house up ( 2 year old son ! )

Does it allow me to boot bootable cd roms though....as thats what most of my linux stuff is !

Feather sounds good though, maybe it'll end up as my garage pc on wireless. :D

·
Registered
74 Posts
The Windows 98 boot disk will prompt you with a boot screen menu, one of which is to enter "Command Prompt with CDROM Support" if you do this it will after loading all the necerssary drivers prompt you with the command prompt, if you then put the CD into your CD-ROM Drive you shouldnt have a problem loading up the content of it. You will however have to manually load it up via DOS commands.

If you can't or don't know how to do this, then goto the same site and download the emergency boot disk.

·
Registered
10,676 Posts
The windows boot disks will only allow access to the cdrom via mscdex , not much use for Linux :)

You will prob find if you burn the Linux install DVD / CD and let it autorun in a windows PC you might get the option to create a boot floppy.

Alternativly there should be something in the online docs to help (maybe even in the downloads a raw image of a boot floppy) , this way you could use rawrite to make a bootable disk for it

If the machine is too old to support the el-torito boot standard though (97 ish on) then it may struggle with modern Linux distros...

:)

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
52,672 Posts
If you get the Ubuntu Linux live CD and run it from within windows, it will install a boot manager and allow you to install from the CD after the first boot.

·
Registered
10,676 Posts
clarkson said:
If you get the Ubuntu Linux live CD and run it from within windows, it will install a boot manager and allow you to install from the CD after the first boot.
Wonders if Ubuntu will run ok on an old pc...

Text mode yes but not sure about kde / gnome :confused: , think theres a few ultra light desktops though...

·
Help! I'm trapped in here
52,672 Posts
yellow_spider said:
Wonders if Ubuntu will run ok on an old pc...

Text mode yes but not sure about kde / gnome :confused: , think theres a few ultra light desktops though...
What exactly is the spec of this PC.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts