Volkszone Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My sister has offered me an old iphone for free it's a iphone 8 and needs a new battery and is locked . Worth taking into a phone shop to get sorted or would i be better just buying a recon phone from envirophone or similar

·
Administrator
167,144 Posts
My sister has offered me an old iphone for free it's a iphone 8 and needs a new battery and is locked . Worth taking into a phone shop to get sorted or would i be better just buying a recon phone from envirophone or similar
The problem you will find is, many apps will have now been updated/upgraded and won't work on the old IOS/OS dude.

My suggestion would be to try and get the most up to date/recent iPhone you can and keep on top of any updates etc.

Good luck. :)

·
Saddest VZi'er 2020
6,773 Posts
You can’t really unlock them without doing it through whichever supplier has locked it. If your sister is the original contract holder then she should be able to get it unlocked if she’s completed her contract and, even if there’s a fee to pay, it’s better to do that than have it “jail broken“ by a third party.

An iPhone 8 is still worth having, just about, but don’t spend too much on it.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll get it at christmas i think and run it until my birthday in May and then get something more modern . At moment i only have an old keypad nokia so any smartphone will be a big improvement

·
Registered
199 Posts
I’m running an iPhone 6S plus that also came for free - now running latest OS with no problems.
It came to me with a battery that was flat and then would not hold a charge however a few complete discharges, charge and use has I would say nearly brought it back to life. The 6 was poor from new regard battery life but I get a days use and always charge over night as takes ~6 hours to fully charge but that’s fine for me as not a huge mobile user and so a free phone on £15 month contract is all I’m prepared to pay!

Maybe try the battery before replacement, especially if upgrading a few months later.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
I'm same as yourself Mike, was using a keypad Nokia until the end of November when a whatsapp update meant it wouldn't work anymore so eventually gave in and took an iphone 5 that had been lying in the cupboard for over 2years. Managed to smash the screen within a day (part of the reason I hate touchscreen phones) but it does the job the best and lightning years ahead of what I was used to!

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Great minds! I put a spare sim in minefor same reason, when charged and not in use get about 10days out of the battery.
I can't get used to having to charge the iphone twice a day at times

1 - 13 of 13 Posts