Volkszone Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Highly Respected Member
13,500 Posts
Depends what you're using it for.

What you have there is a double pole double throw (DPDT) switch.

If you want to use it as a simple on and off switch then connect one wire to one of the centre terminals and the other wire to the terminal directly below it. (with the OFF symbol at the bottom) You will need to solder and insulate both connections to the switch.

Dave.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks very much. i just thoughtm on/off, can't be simpler than that. Nut you buy it and they've renamed on/off as DPDT, thats crazy shit for ya.
As i've got ten on the dash doing lots of differenty things might be useful to read u on them and yes i'm soldering all connections. Cheers.

·
Highly Respected Member
13,500 Posts
moscoworbust said:
oh, is 0.3 gauge wire ok for lights, indicators, wiper, horn, etc?
If you mean 0.3mm wire, then no. That's way too thin.

I'd use a minimum of 1mm to be safe, and I'd use a relay to power the headlights, as the power would probably melt those switches I expect.

Use 2mm wire minimum for the headlight power ccts.

See here for info on car wiring - http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.co.uk/VWPweb2000/cables/cables.html

Dave.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cheers buddy, i've got to do my own system and i'm using relays for headlghts, full beam, dizzy and horn and starter. The rest should be fine, indicators, wiper, washer, side lights, to go through the switches. I'll get some 2mm then, 30 m is only 7 quid and should do the whole car, i'll use the 0.3 to wire up the gauges. all sound good?

Thats the only thing, as i'm having a missile style starter i need to 'prime' the ignition by having a switch to turn on the electricity to the coil so it will run. Should work as long as i don't leave it on, melts like an ice baby in kansas. I'll have a red light to warn me.

·
Highly Respected Member
13,500 Posts
That sounds better, though I'd be tempted to use the 2mm for the wipers as well.

Remember everything needs to be fuse protected.! Otherwise don't go anywhere without a fire extinguisher.

You'll need some 3mm to supply the fusebox from the ignition relay, and from the battery to the ignition switch, if you're wiring the whole thing from scratch.

Dave.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts